Is the factory bezel around the headlights on a 2017 1500 held in place by the tabs and double-sided tape?

Last week while taking a look at what i was going to do about my ABS wiring that was cut by how i ran it after the lift, i notice that the passenger side headlight bezel was pulled away from the light a bit, upon looking it over i notice that it was pulled out of the little corner clip, but even after applying a good amount of force, it didnt really "click" back into place, but that top portion felt ok, but the middle portion of it doesnt seem to have any visible clips and applying force all around the piece, didnt seem to help. I went to the drivers side and it is secure and feels solid as if its part of the headlight itself, I was looking and found plenty of videos and posts about similar issues, but in most, not all cases, there was mention of double sided tape to adhere it in place, but those were for replacements and aftermarket ones.. yet i couldnt really find a post about the factory ones. Are they also held in place by the top and bottom clips along with some doublesided tape in the middle?

I'd prefer to fix it like it came from the factory, so just need to know if its really using the tape from the factory. 

Originally posted here in the wrong forum:

original post

Yes.  If you need the bezel, GM does not sell it separate from a new headlight assembly.

#18-NA-046: Headlamp Bezel Loose or Falling Off - (Oct 22, 2018)

Condition

Some customers may comment on finding a headlamp bezel loose or falling off.

Cause

The cause of the condition may be that the attachment tape holding the bezel to the headlamp is not adhering properly.

Correction

Note: It is not necessary to replace the headlamp assembly.

Clean the headlamp and bezel, and install new double-sided tape following the Service Procedure below.

Service Procedure

Important: To avoid damaging the bezel, gently push upward in a uniform manner, without twisting the bezel. This should release the attachment tape from the loose side across to the opposite side and the bezel can be detached from the headlamp. A plastic trim tool can be used to help separate the bezel.

Important: The headlamp bezel is made from ABS plastic and certain manufacturers recommend NOT using their solvent on ABS. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for any cleaners/solvents used.

Remove the affected headlamp assembly from the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate side Headlamp Replacement (Chevrolet), in SI.

Place headlamp on a protected surface.

Grabbing the top and bottom corners of the loose side of the headlamp bezel, carefully push the bezel upward to release the remaining tape holding the bezel to the lamp.

Once the tape is loose, carefully detach the bezel’s retention tabs from the mating slots in the headlamp assembly.

Using a pushing and rolling action with the thumb or fingers, manually peel off the remnants of the tape on both the inside of the bezel and the outside of the headlamp.

Completely clean both surfaces again with mild soap and water mixture, glass cleaner or equivalent.

Wipe both surfaces dry with a clean cloth.

Cut two 38 cm (15 in) lengths and two 35 cm (13.5 in) lengths of 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Tape P/N 06382, or equivalent.

Apply the 38 cm (15 in) lengths of tape to the center of the bezel, positioning it directly over the visible previous location of the tape.

Apply the 35 cm (13.5 in) lengths of tape to the top and bottom of the bezel, positioning it directly over the visible previous location of the tape.

Firmly press and wet out all four pieces of the tape across the full length of the bezel.

Peel the protective film from the tape and position the bezel to the headlamp.

Ensure all retention tabs are engaged in their mating slots, and firmly press the bezel to the headlamp. Firmly press along all areas where the tape was applied.

Reinstall the headlamp to the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate side Headlamp Replacement (Chevrolet), in SI.

Important: Allow the tape to set up per the manufacturer’s recommendation, and don’t run the vehicle through a car wash for at least 24 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, dont need a new one, just needed to find out how to fix/correct my issue. So it seems that the factory does use double-sided tape for it.. so just need to find the time and find my tape.

thanks..

• 1 month later...

So last weekend, i was able to take care of the bezel, Not sure how it happened because the truck is not abused or taken offroad often, but was finally able to remove it from the light and found that 1 tab was broken and the factory double sided tape was all dried up and full of dirt, so it must have come loose for sometime before i even noticed. 

Removed all the old tape from the light and bezel, cleaned everything and applied new tape in the original locations and reinstalled and now firm and secure.

• Like 1