In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

How to remove the step pads on the running boards?

I know the front and rear have 10mm bolts but not sure how the center pads are done. Just don't want to bust something. I want to put some carbon fiber wrap on chrome between them.

IMG_4969 b.jpg

Edited by WeGone

• WeGone changed the title to How to remove the step pads on the running boards?
7 hours ago, WeGone said:

I know the front and rear have 10mm bolts but not sure how the center pads are done. Just don't want to bust something. I want to put some carbon fiber wrap on chrome between them.

IMG_4969 b.jpg

Please post pictures of your finished wrap project. I’ve been thinking of various ways to make my identical chrome steps black. I was thinking maybe pull the plastic treads off and Linex them, but a wrap is a good idea if it will hold up to the foot traffic. 

I would like to see a picture of your garage floor. Carpeted with a door mat so you don't get it dirty getting out of your truck? That's awesome man! Well that is until it's time to crawl under for an oil change on a creeper or moving a floor jack around.

13 hours ago, Another JR said:

Please post pictures of your finished wrap project. I’ve been thinking of various ways to make my identical chrome steps black. I was thinking maybe pull the plastic treads off and Linex them, but a wrap is a good idea if it will hold up to the foot traffic. 

9 hours ago, gemarsh said:

I would like to see a picture of your garage floor. Carpeted with a door mat so you don't get it dirty getting out of your truck? That's awesome man! Well that is until it's time to crawl under for an oil change on a creeper or moving a floor jack around.

JR, the intent is to cover the chrome in-between the step treads and leave the chrome on the edges, people getting in and out can't seam to step on the pads and its leaving scratches on the chrome.

gemarch, LOL the ground just looks like carpet. Its blacktop with a door mat under the carport out side the garage.

IMG_4969 c.jpg

23 hours ago, WeGone said:

IMG_4969 b.jpg

They just have clips holding them down. Plastic pry tool and pull off should work