2021 Silverado 1500 6.2L downshift chirp/squeak

19 minutes ago, Brent Reed said:

What if we got a class action together?  I have also played with switching into L9, and it doesn't make the sound when downshifting or pressing the accelerator at lower speeds.  It makes the sound when it starts though, even if you immediately shift into L9.  It's definitely DFM related and pathetic that our $70k brand new trucks sound like 1972 Chryslers when they start.

They know there's an issue, and are refusing to address it with consumers.  I've reached out to a law group who has previously won class action suits.

LMAO.

The noise is normal.  Cope.  

Lol...normal.

Imagine the design team sitting around the table, and a really smart engineer speaks up with an amazing idea.  "I know what we should do, let's make the engine sound like an old beater for the first 30 seconds after it starts!"

Newdude...do you have a truck that does it?  If so, post a video of it, I'd like to hear it!

Edited by Brent Reed

• 7 months later...

Can anyone confirm if they had the chirp/squeak when stopping addressed? I'm about to take my 2022 LTZ LTD Silverado in to have this looked at, expect to hear the dealers favorite" seems normal" but for a $70K truck, I'm not going to take that answer. Its getting louder by the day and It's becoming an issue.  I did the L-7 trick and it doesn't make the sound, assume its the DFM but it sounds like metal on metal. About to go on a long road trip across country and I'm concerned about the safety of these trucks. 

Thanks folks!! all this information on the forum has been helpful for sure

I find it funny that they specifically state that one should not try to compare sounds between similar vehicles, they are clearly cutting off the "Well my buddy's 6.2 and the other 6.2 you have on the lot don't make this noise" that they have certainly been smacked around with.     Translation:   Sorry some of our vehicles sound like they came from the junkyard, and some don't, sorry you got a crappy one. 

It seems like all of these noises are due to engine spark being retarded.  So the question is why are some of the same vehicles nearly silent doing this, and others sound like a squealing metal pig in heat?   Better yet, certainly other manufacturers with auto-start/stop have faced the same issue but have found a way to do it quietly. 

The bulletin just reeks of "Yeah it's poor engineering and quality control on our part, but don't worry because it's "normal operation" that your $60k truck sounds like a $500 yugo. 

• 2 months later...

I have a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 with 27k on it and it has had the same squeaking noise when decelerating since I purchased it with 7 miles on it. I have had it to the dealership twice.  First time they said it was a boot connected to the brake pedal and that they lubed it up.  I just agreed and knew that I would be bringing it back. The second they tried stating it was coming from the transmission and did nothing but remove the skid plate and look for debris. I swear the noise is coming from the front of the engine.  Not the transmission but I guess I could be wrong.  Something needs to be done and GM needs to be held accountable.