Do any of you actually subscribe monthly to the OnStar service?

Do any of you actually subscribe monthly to the OnStar service?   I just don't see the benefit of it doing anything more than I can already do with my phone.  I more curious than anything else.  Maybe I just don't understand enough about it.  First time with a vehicle with OnStar, so convince me to decide otherwise! 

• Like 1

I have the Remote Access and the Safety and Security packages.  It gets cold here in Canada, and starting the truck with the phone helps, when the fob range doesn't cut it.  Got the Safety and Security in case I ever get in a single vehicle accident on a country/rural road, etc., my phone goes flying and I can't get to it (I guess I could always cry out to Siri?) or I get knocked unconscious.  Nice to know OnStar will detect my accident and call (hopefully within cell service).  Probably never going to need the Safety and Security package, but I'm not paying full price for both packs together, so why not.

• Like 2

I called and demanded all onstar services be terminated immediately after taking possession of my truck. I had to call multiple times and tell them I don't care that I have 30 days free and it will expire on its own. Then physically disconnected the hardware.

• Like 2

After my free trial I called to cancel.  I ended up going for an annual essentials plan much below the advertised rate.  Do the same thing with XM.  Without the vehicle tracking piece I don't qualify for the insurance discount.  That discount equals roughly 6 months of the discounted essentials plan.

• Like 1

I have it. Used it a few times when coming up on accidents while traveling out of state. They can pin point the location. It is an added expense but if you bug them enough, they will give a better deal. My wife locked herself out and On Star unlocked it for her. Would have taken me two hours to get to her. 

4 hours ago, Phantom 4D said:

I have it. Used it a few times when coming up on accidents while traveling out of state. They can pin point the location. It is an added expense but if you bug them enough, they will give a better deal. My wife locked herself out and On Star unlocked it for her. Would have taken me two hours to get to her. 

I came from using the Ford App.  I can start or do anything like that with the app without a subscription.  DO I need an OnStar subscription to simply use the GMC app to unlock the truck or start it?  

56 minutes ago, milkmaster said:

I came from using the Ford App.  I can start or do anything like that with the app without a subscription.  DO I need an OnStar subscription to simply use the GMC app to unlock the truck or start it?  

Yeah, you do. The “Remote access” plan

GM never used to make you pay for that access. I had a 16 Malibu for a while that I could lock, unlock, start, etc. with no subscription. That seems to no longer be the case, which is incredibly annoying. 

13 hours ago, milkmaster said:

Per GM Authority:

Basic: free for five years with the purchase of any new OnStar-equipped GM vehicle, the plan provides key fob services from the myChevrolet, myBuick, myGMC or myCadillac apps, while also including OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notification

The basic is free for 5 years.  Anything beyond the basic not including the free initial trials is extra.

I don't think you get the "basic" for free anymore.  Just a 30 day free-trial and then you have to start paying for any real functionality.

I know I didn't get anything other than that with my purchase in Jan of this year.