Do any of you actually subscribe monthly to the OnStar service?

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

This and paying for XM radio is duplication when my phone has everything I need on it. As far as my remote start. Every situation I’ve encountered it provided enough distance to have my truck cooled off by the time I reached it. 

That and my fob has remote start on it already.  It's a lot less trouble than pulling out my phone to do it.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, milkmaster said:

That and my fob has remote start on it already.  It's a lot less trouble than pulling out my phone to do it.

Some people park far enough away from their desk that the fob doesn't reach. Ya know, back when people went into an office to work. In the winter, you need more than 2 minutes for it to warm up.

Anyway, I had the app for 5 year for free, I probably used the app to remote start 20 times in that span. So it's not enough to justify paying what they are asking, but it would be a nice feature to have nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a little bit of the free service remaining when I bought mine off a lease and purchased the navigation while I was down south for vacation 2 years ago since my cell phone would work fantastic but had a problem while navigating where the phone would get super hot and stop charging and the battery would drain FAST. It was nice having the directions show on the instrument cluster and have alerts instead of looking over to the windshield where my phone is mounted but it lacks traffic analysis of delays and the stops you can make on the way for gas, food, etc. 

I just replaced my XM antenna on the roof since it had water damage inside and my compass kept coming on and off as it runs through the sharkfin and will never buy onstar again. I am just mounting my phone to the windshield and will put the defroster on to put some cold air on it during the summer when the sun is beating on my phone to keep it cool and fully charged.

I also have an aftermarket remote start installed that is a bit of an annoying pain the ass where it fails to start intermittently and sometimes sets off the alarm when called to start but I can run the starter for a hour straight (never run it more than 15 minutes if it's super cold and my truck is frozen in ice but still nice to not have to run back out and restart the timer if you wanted to) but it's a longer range (1 mile line of sight) and is a 2 way remote so I know it reached the truck.

Is this the only way to get nav now in the silverado if your truck didn't come with it? I have an LT, and i have a nav button the bottom left (near the climate/audio buttons), and when I click the nav button now, it wants me to subscribe.

Is the SD card option completely out?

1 hour ago, dgstarr63 said:

If you can afford a $100,000 Cadillac Escalade you probably can afford OnStar.  Those of us middle class folks who can barely afford a Silverado pickup can do without it.  I think OnStar's  prices are just to high!

I can easily afford to have OnStar, even without any discounts.  But OnStar provides no value, so I don't waste my time or money paying for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nichos said:

Is this the only way to get nav now in the silverado if your truck didn't come with it? I have an LT, and i have a nav button the bottom left (near the climate/audio buttons), and when I click the nav button now, it wants me to subscribe.

Is the SD card option completely out?

It's my understanding there is no way to add it.  I don't have it on my LTZ either, and quite frankly, I don't miss it at all.  If I need navigation, I just use Apple CarPlay and pull up Maps.  It's way better than GM navigation.

13 hours ago, BubbaJ said:

Gm says I have to pay $30/month for live traffic on the nav.  

just one more reason to use CarPlay. 

The Chevrolet Connected Vehicle plan includes live traffic and map/POI updates on the nav and it is $10/month full price.

Android auto is fine, until you don't have reception. I know you can do offline maps, but it's also much quicker to just click the nav button and pull up a map of the area.

My father has it in his truck, it's super handy when you're somewhere you're not familiar with, but didn't plug your phone in.

That's why I'd love to buy the SD card.

Edited by nichos

I have had it on my 09 Tahoe since it was new, but only for the "Protection" plan, which doesn't exist any more. That gave all the Safety & Security features along with advisor unlock. Not sure what I'm going to do yet with my new truck, I'm assuming they won't let me transfer the cheap plan I have. lol

Seems like an oversight for GM not to include the "Remote Key Fob" (i.e. app) access as part of Safety & Security, I could certainly argue a case for it. Prob not an oversight after all just a but of corp greed forcing you to a higher plan.

We also pay for the comparable system (Mbrace) on my wife's Mercedes, which ironically is less expensive then the GM Essentials plan and I think it comes with all, if not more features. It came in handy when she was in an accident, ended up upside down and unconscious on a country road. She was unable to call for help and the system was able to alert of the crash and get first responders rolling, as well as a notification to myself.  I don't think I'll not have at least the safety features on a vehicle if available. It's like insurance, don't ever want to have to use it but it's great to have when you need it.

• 5 months later...

I didn't realize I still had Onstar.  I cancelled my data plan after a few months of paying for it, and asked to cancel Onstar at the same time.  I never received an invoice or receipt from Onstar, not even a notification of the fee increase (which almost doubled this past year).  You know you don't offer a valuable service when you have to sneak it by unsuspecting clients.