Performance of a CAI vs Drop-In Air Filter

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and to trucks, in general. 3 weeks ago, I picked up a 2021 1500 Denali w/6.2 V8. This is my first truck and I'm loving it.  

That said, living at higher altitude, lower air density is a big issue and improving a vehicle's breathing is crucial, just to get close to advertised performance metrics. Even more so with an N/A engine that will be pulling a 4,800lb trailer over 11,000ft mountain passes.  

With that in mind, I'm already looking at getting a better flowing drop-in filter or a CAI. Historically, I've learned that I can get 95% of the performance gain that a CAI would provide, with just a better flowing filter in the stock airbox. But this is knowledge gained from a world of forced induction performance cars. I'm unsure how that holds in the world of big N/A motors. 

As I've kicked off my initial research, I've come across what appear to be two solid options...

S&B CAI:
https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/silverado-sierra-1500-intake-75-5128?variant_id=432

aFe Drop-In Filter:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10292-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

Difference in sound is irrelevant to me. I simply want to learn whether or not the CAI would provide better performance, to justify the added cost. I'm curious to get some more insight from you guys. I imagine this has been asked and answered previously and I simply didn't see the thread. I found one that was a similar topic but it was all about the difference in sound, rather than performance. However, if there is another thread that I can refer to, please feel free to point me elsewhere.

Thanks!
Kevin 

Edited by Kevin Flannery

22 minutes ago, calgator73 said:

Adding the GM intake (with cal) and exhaust nets you only 13 or 15 horse?   My guess is no... Nothing you can objectively measure will improve your experience.

Thanks for the info. Admittedly, this is kind of what I figured since aftermarket gains from N/A setups tend to be minimal, at best.

Knowing that, I'll just save the money and enjoy it as is. With the 6.2, I suppose it's not as if it's really lacking and towing capabilities will still be plenty adequate for my usage. 

Edited by Kevin Flannery

The GMPP exhaust accounts for 13 of the 15 hp in the performance package. The flappers are a serious bottleneck in the stock system.

Knowing that, I did that exhaust right away, and then added the Roto-Fab intake. Cleaned up the engine bay, sounds good, and consistently reduced my 0-60 times ~2 tenths measured on my Dragy. It’s a dead horse topic nevertheless. People believe what they want even if they are too lazy to test things for themselves like I did.

IF while towing the motor was spinning peak hp rpm then a lower restriction filter MIGHT help. But I doubt that is the case. That said if it flows enough to tow at 4500 rpm it already has unused flow capacity. Follow that?  When they test filters on a dyno the number your looking for isn't peak power but increased area under the curve...the entire pulling rpm curve. Doesn't matter what the power increase is peak hp rpm. Only the increase at the rpm the tow demands. 

At 11,000 feet the motor is pulling LESS air than sea level where it was SAE corrected for. A lower restriction filter won't buy back elevation losses. A supercharger will. A turbocharger will. But not a filter. 

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

IF while towing the motor was spinning peak hp rpm then a lower restriction filter MIGHT help. But I doubt that is the case. That said if it flows enough to tow at 4500 rpm it already has unused flow capacity. Follow that?  When they test filters on a dyno the number your looking for isn't peak power but increased area under the curve...the entire pulling rpm curve. Doesn't matter what the power increase is peak hp rpm. Only the increase at the rpm the tow demands. 

At 11,000 feet the motor is pulling LESS air than sea level where it was SAE corrected for. A lower restriction filter won't buy back elevation losses. A supercharger will. A turbocharger will. But not a filter. 

Peeps have to have a "CAI" and loud exhaust because for some reason "0-60" times matter with pickups? IDK

Cue the "why is my transmission broke" thread. 

I use my truck like a truck and it will probably outlast me. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

Peeps have to have a "CAI" and loud exhaust because for some reason "0-60" times matter with pickups? IDK

Cue the "why is my transmission broke" thread. 

I use my truck like a truck and it will probably outlast me. 😉

YIKES!! You must be REALLY old! 

:rollin:

Makes my head hurt. I was watching the news last night and note was made that 77% of the market last year was Pickups, SUV's and Crossovers. Once they get more than two doors they all look like school busses to me. Just TWO many doors. Now...why do ya want to race a school buss? 

Ever notice that not all LOUD Harley's sound good? Neither do all loud exhaust on trucks or loud CAI's. You know the right sound when you hear it. At my age that sound is silence...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 🤫

Why not have one vehicle that can do everything, including being fun to drive? Especially if you live where the roads are crap many months out of the year.  

Isn’t it strange how few new posts are coming up these days? Pretty soon you arrogant internet grandpas will only have yourselves to talk to. Everyone else is tired of hearing it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Why not have one vehicle that can do everything, including being fun to drive? Especially if you live where the roads are crap many months out of the year.  

Isn’t it strange how few new posts are coming up these days? Pretty soon you arrogant internet grandpas will only have yourselves to talk to. Everyone else is tired of hearing it. 

Most grandpas like me have several vehicles for different moods. Yea l can hear my pickup. But quite is nice too. I have a vehicle for that. If l could only have one. It would be a pickup, loud and lowered so my wife could get in. 

• Like 2

Definitely wasn’t lumping you into that group.

I have a couple vehicles in my stable, but my truck gets most of the action by far. Because it does everything well. It’s comfortable, quick when you want it to be, and still quiet when you aren’t pushing it. l. I use it for both work and play. Yes, I use it like a truck too. Lots of towing miles every year.

• Like 3

Was passed by a WRX with a really REALLY sweet sounding exhaust.

Low harmonious tone. Powerful commanding cadence.

He stomped on it and it roared.

Everyone listened in awe.

Musical

Not the miserable crying of a noisy two year old muffler delete not getting attention.

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Was passed by a WRX with a really REALLY sweet sounding exhaust.

Low harmonious tone. Powerful commanding cadence.

He stomped on it and it roared.

Everyone listened in awe.

Musical

Not the miserable crying of a noisy two year old muffler delete not getting attention.

Aw man, now you're taking me down memory lane. 

In my 20's I had a few different WRX's and STI's. There's something about the STI with a COBB turbo-back exhaust that just sounds so beautiful. A 4-cylinder has no business sounding as good as that flat-4 does. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for my last STI...

spacer.png

However, once I got into my late 20's to early 30's and started making more money, I stepped my game up a bit...

F80 M3 with Dinan tune:
spacer.png
spacer.png

Then B9 RS5 with APR tune:

spacer.png
spacer.png

While both those most recent cars were significantly faster, neither of those twin-turbo V6's sounded as good as the STI did, believe it or not.

Anyway, I've had my fun with high powered performance cars, for now. I'm 36 with a 1 year old and find myself ready to have something less stressful to own/drive and something I feel safer hauling my kid around in. Not to mention now needing something to tow a camper trailer up into the Rockies. 

In comes the 1500 Denali. I've had it for about a month now and while I was worried I would miss the world of high power and crazy acceleration, I honestly haven't found myself with a single regret. I truly enjoy the truck more than I could have possibly imagined. And my wife is thrilled because I'm no longer a crazy person, worrying about every rock chip, speed bump, pot hole etc. I truly feel liberated with this truck and wish I had made the move sooner.

spacer.png

All that said, I know this truck will never be anywhere near what those cars were and I have no intention or desire to try and make it so. I was just thinking that an aftermarket intake/air filter may help the truck breathe a bit better, to help offset some of the loss of power at this higher altitude. It doesn't sound like that's the case and I'm perfectly OK with that.

It's still a beast for what it is and for once, I'm actually going to enjoy a vehicle in stock form. At least in terms of powertrain mods. 

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Edited by Kevin Flannery
  • Like 1