blind spot monitoring

So I recently bought a 2020 Silverado 1500 RST. It's fairly loaded but did not come with the blind spot monitoring in the mirrors. Is it possible to upgrade to those mirrors? I know in my last truck, Ram 2500, the trucks were pre-wired for upgrades so you only needed the part and dealer flash. Is the new Silverado the same?

Blind spot utilizes radar units in the rear bumper.  Your truck will not have that.  Additionally, the computer systems will not be configured for the blind spot warning system.  So there is no plug and play solution in this case.  Blind spot warning and rear cross traffic alert were important enough for me to the point where any truck that didn't have was immediately out of the running.  In this day and age one needs to make sure the vehicle they are buying has everything needed/wanted, because adding it after the fact is pretty much impossible for anything that requires electricity and computers.  The rare exception is something like the brake controller, although it won't be a factory unit and it won't be integrated with the advanced trailering system. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

Blind spot utilizes radar units in the rear bumper.  Your truck will not have that.  Additionally, the computer systems will not be configured for the blind spot warning system.  So there is no plug and play solution in this case.  Blind spot warning and rear cross traffic alert were important enough for me to the point where any truck that didn't have was immediately out of the running.  In this day and age one needs to make sure the vehicle they are buying has everything needed/wanted, because adding it after the fact is pretty much impossible for anything that requires electricity and computers.  The rare exception is something like the brake controller, although it won't be a factory unit and it won't be integrated with the advanced trailering system. 

Just a note for those looking to purchase and want this feature that current SLT/LTZ level trucks are being built without BSM due to shortages. Good way to tell if it does not have it when looking at pics of trucks online is if the drivers side mirror has the birds eye mirror in the upper left corner.