Seriously- borla muffler/other mods versus entire cat back

appreciate replies so far, but i am more or less still confused as to the drone being eliminated or not through muffler change/delete. Have seen plenty of posts now on success with delete/change muffler(no drone), and just as many posts saying drone unbearable..... 

I've routinely posted in exhaust threads when they appear with pretty much the same statement. Having put exhaust on every pickup since the seventies and cars. Without going through all the different exhaust combinations I’ve done. My opinion is find a good exhaust shop and do a delete or a performance muffler. The stock exhaust flows really well. They figured out using more than one cat, muffler, resonators to flow exhaust. Unlike the old days exhaust isn’t very restrictive. The cylinder deactivation is making the exhaust sound weird that’s a given. I deleted mine with a tune.  There’s always the range device. The performance muffler and range device is way cheaper than a performance mail order exhaust. That’s the way I’d go if I was still working and was forced to continue to buy these Frankenstein trucks. 

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I've routinely posted in exhaust threads when they appear with pretty much the same statement. Having put exhaust on every pickup since the seventies and cars. Without going through all the different exhaust combinations I’ve done. My opinion is find a good exhaust shop and do a delete or a performance muffler. The stock exhaust flows really well. They figured out using more than one cat, muffler, resonators to flow exhaust. Unlike the old days exhaust isn’t very restrictive. The cylinder deactivation is making the exhaust sound weird that’s a given. I deleted mine with a tune.  There’s always the range device. The performance muffler and range device is way cheaper than a performance mail order exhaust. That’s the way I’d go if I was still working and was forced to continue to buy these Frankenstein trucks. 

The question comes down to drone.

im seeing and hearing people doing muffler swaps including my brother who has real bad drone with muffler swap only. I ride in his truck often and it’s terrible. But can’t figure out why. 

that’s why the question of a borla muffler swap as an option..

thoughts?

13 minutes ago, RPaul said:

The question comes down to drone.

im seeing and hearing people doing muffler swaps including my brother who has real bad drone with muffler swap only. I ride in his truck often and it’s terrible. But can’t figure out why. 

that’s why the question of a borla muffler swap as an option..

thoughts?

The only vehicle I had with bad drone was my 94 impala ss. It was at 45 mph in overdrive. I had flowmaster muffles. The work around was I put in drive in town and overdrive on the highway eliminating the drone. With my 14 GMC I left the resonator on and deleted the muffler. I turned off the cylinder deactivation, no drone. I later added a performance muffler no drone. I think most people are confusing drone with cylinder deactivation. It would be cheaper to buy a range device than a full exhaust. If there’s one available that masks the cylinder deactivation process. I never experienced an exhaust that can make that happen. Unless there’s a flapper system that just silences the exhaust in deactivation mode. If the choice is to spend the money to silence the mode I’d go with the range device.