Disconnect battery, now steering wheel radio controls don't work nor radio turn off when door is opened

A few years back I changed the radio in my GMC Sierra 2004 to JVC (from factory).  Recently disconnected battery ....now the steering wheel controls don't work for the radio nor does the radio turn off when the door is opened.  No other changes were done that could have impacted the radio, rechecked all the connections on back of radio, nothing seems wrong yet this stuff still isn't working correctly - any ideas?

I understand that you checked wires/wiring and you are probably spot on that they are connected properly.  The problem is sometimes things internally in your radio start acting up, especially aftermarket ones.  I had a blaupunkt (sp) radio I installed that started doing this, I replaced the radio and all was well.  I know it was the radio because I bought the same radio and used the already wired harness and it worked flawlessly.  Plugged the old one back in just to see and it wouldnt do what it needed to.

1 hour ago, Linda1 said:

A few years back I changed the radio in my GMC Sierra 2004 to JVC (from factory).  Recently disconnected battery ....now the steering wheel controls don't work for the radio nor does the radio turn off when the door is opened.  No other changes were done that could have impacted the radio, rechecked all the connections on back of radio, nothing seems wrong yet this stuff still isn't working correctly - any ideas?

Welcome to the site.

How old is your battery?

First, I am suspecting that maybe something went wrong in the radio....and that is the most obvious thing even though it's not but a few years old....

As for how old the battery in my truck is, not sure - although, all the dash and interior lights go out fine - just stuff related to the radio that has become a problem.  The battery was disconnected because other work was being done and that was part of the process of fixing the other truck issues.

Elcamino (Mike),  Yeah, I am thinking that you might be right because nothing else is having issues.  The part that kinda sucks is this radio didn't make 2 years in my  Sierra....installed 11/2019 and already bad....I guess I will order another one and see if that fixes the issue.

This is why its bad to disconnect the battery in modern vehicles without a memory power supply, some vehicles will not even start or other equipment such as the radio no operate correctly. 

Always use a memory power supply, they are available on Amazon for around $18 and plug into the ALDL port and have several connectors to #1 clamp onto a car battery #2 plug into the lighter outlet of another vehicle. 

I have a thing that plugs into what used to be called the cigarette lighter with a 9 volt battery connected to it. I've never used it, it's been in my (what has become my rather LARGE tool collection) tool box for gosh; what, the early '80s. I had a new S-15 and a new Celebrity back then. They might have been OBD1.

My issue on thissubject is on my '06 Avi. The radio used to go off when opening the drivers door, now i have to use another door. I replaced the catch/door lock, door lock actuator and got the same issue, I have an after market radio but i bought the interconnect adapters (boxes) that's supposed to make most stuff work. I wonder if there isn't a relay that's fubar?

Edited by dna9656
more info