In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

S&B vs Cold Air Inductions Air Intake - Fuel Economy (MPG)

39 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I guess I’m not understanding the so called “dick measuring contest “ statement because this thread is about an S&B intake and I have had 2 of them and 1 right now on my truck and was just answering a simple question on it. Then debating on the other post making a point that it’s a true cold air intake system. 

Do u have an S&B intake?  

Nope.  I had a CAI on a truck years ago and then realized very quickly that they're gimmicks for street vehicles.  The only gains they provide are at the top end of the performance spectrum, but no gains at 1500 RPM where most people spend most of their time.  Buying one for fuel economy reasons (as in the OP's question) is pointless.  OEMs spend MILLIONS of dollars on R&D to gain tenths of MPG.  They wouldn't leave something as simple as a CAI on the table.  And then even if there was a 0.1 to 0.2 mpg increase in fuel economy, how many years would it take to break even on a $300-$500 CAI?  10 years maybe?  15 years?  How many people hold on to a vehicle for that long?

Want to buy one for other reasons?  Go ahead.  It's your money.

And I wasn't necessarily talking about this thread, but this site in general.  Lots of strong opinions.

Edited by TxTruckMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

If a person is concerned about economy they should be allocating funds for fuel instead of a shiny chicom plastic box. If a person can't afford to fill a vehicle with fuel... they can't afford the vehicle. 😉

Here we go with the other type of a-holes on this forum - the people who think they know everything.  The truck has 3K miles on it - I don't think I have a blocked fuel filter issue. 

Nor did I ever mention that I can't afford to fill the tank.  But if I can spend some money and the math works to save some money on fuel costs over time, then it's worth it for me.  

Keep your wise arse comments to yourself

Edited by ls5454ss
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ls5454ss said:

But if I can spend some money and the math works to save some money on fuel costs over time, then it's worth it for me.  

Cool beans. 👍

Post up a link to your YouTube video if you would be so kind, I love math.

Just now, It's Tim said:

Cool beans. 👍

Post up a link to your YouTube video if you would be so kind, I love math.

Well considering nobody is telling me "Yes, I installed one of the ones you mentioned ... I gained xx mpg", I guess there is no math to be had now, is there?

6 hours ago, shakenfake said:

Where would you like it to suck air from then? Fender air is about as cold as you are gonna get unless you remove a headlight and open the front.

Look in your fender area, there is no air flow in there and its not sealed off from the engine bay, so its sucking in cold air from the factory snorkel and hot air from the fender. If there was cold air coming in through the fender and it was blocked off from the engine bay, it would be great.

I am pretty sure there is something that blocks off that piece so you only use the factory snorkel. That is what it seemed like on the install video I watched. I don't have one and am not a cold air intake believer, although I do like the product as it cleans up the engine bay nicely and it does give more air to the intake manifold

You aren't really getting hot enough to matter coming from the fender. Although these kits are foolish the main thing they do is allow more air intake, less baffle and in some cases a larger filter/intake tube. Realistically the more air the better even if it is a little warm.

7 hours ago, ls5454ss said:

Here we go with the other type of a-holes on this forum - the people who think they know everything.  The truck has 3K miles on it - I don't think I have a blocked fuel filter issue. 

Nor did I ever mention that I can't afford to fill the tank.  But if I can spend some money and the math works to save some money on fuel costs over time, then it's worth it for me.  

Keep your wise arse comments to yourself

Blocked fuel filter?  <Confused>

I have had my S&B on for one year and can tell you it does ONE thing.  It makes 1/3 to full throttle louder.  Zero MPG increase and possibly a loss of a 10th in the 1/4.  (I need to do more side-by-side testing). 

Last year I was running 13.9  @97mph with the stocker.  This year I ran a [email protected]  Only things changed were the CAI and I removed the 97mph speed limiter.  Figured that might knock off a 10th.. but I never got up to that speed.  Will be doing a side by side set of passes in a few weeks.  I cannot recall ambient temps on the day I went last year 

Edited by Rob Mugs

12 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

Blocked fuel filter?  <Confused>

I have had my S&B on for one year and can tell you it does ONE thing.  It makes 1/3 to full throttle louder.  Zero MPG increase and possibly a loss of a 10th in the 1/4.  (I need to do more side-by-side testing). 

Last year I was running 13.9  @97mph with the stocker.  This year I ran a [email protected]  Only things changed were the CAI and I removed the 97mph speed limiter.  Figured that might knock off a 10th.. but I never got up to that speed.  Will be doing a side by side set of passes in a few weeks.  I cannot recall ambient temps on the day I went last year 

If you remember the dates you went to the track, Dragtimes.com can give you the DA for the day and time.  

On 9/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, It&#x27;s Tim said:

If a person is concerned about economy they should be allocating funds for fuel instead of a shiny chicom plastic box. If a person can't afford to fill a vehicle with fuel... they can't afford the vehicle. 😉

Did anyone say they cant afford the fuel? Does worrying or curious about the fuel economy mean you cant afford the truck? I guess my bank account didnt realize that.  Dumbest thing i have ever read. Would you rather a truck that gets decent fuel economy or a truck that you have to fill up every 100miles on a long trip?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

Did anyone say they cant afford the fuel? Does worrying or curious about the fuel economy mean you cant afford the truck? I guess my bank account didnt realize that.  Dumbest thing i have ever read. Would you rather a truck that gets decent fuel economy or a truck that you have to fill up every 100miles on a long trip?

Exactly...thank you...

4 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

Did anyone say they cant afford the fuel? Does worrying or curious about the fuel economy mean you cant afford the truck?

Damien I'm sure you've noticed that some peoples measurement of success is a showy display of shameless excess? What they fail to realize is the when one measures success in this way they are only successful when and IF someone else tells them that they are. Seekers of approval??

Personally I prefer contentment and satisfaction over success, as these types would measure it. Why would I care what another thinks? I can afford the gas, I can afford the truck and I'm not impressed by those that see blatant waste as a badge to be worn proud.

Don't give them a second thought.  

• Like 2

More facts to the discussion.

Power is the speed at which energy is converted, more power generally means higher fuel consumption.   More air = more fuel = more power = more speed.  

I cannot find any data on S&B site that support claims it improves fuel economy.  I do find claims by customers BUT this brings to mind this ruling by 'The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus';  Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple circa 2009.  Look it up...

Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, and fuel economy or engine heat.  People’s opinions are not facts that can be substantiated.

• Thanks 1

A few years back a pbs show motor week did a test for fuel improvement. There was a slight fuel mileage difference. They concluded most people wouldn’t keep their vehicle long enough to break even on the cost. An respected tuner on this site did a HP test on their intake and claimed increased HP. Coming from the carburetor days and flipping the lid. It did it for the noise. Same with exhaust. The ear and butt performance was off the charts.

3 hours ago, elcamino said:

Power is the speed at which energy is converted, more power generally means higher fuel consumption.   More air = more fuel = more power = more speed. 

( I'm agreeing with you Mike.) 

A motor makes 424 hp while consuming 174 lbs/hr fuel.

174 / 424 = 0.410 bsfc. 

How does a CAI improve bsfc?

For a motor to use less fuel bsfc must be improved and a CAI can't do a thing about that.

All that happens once the valves are closed and the fire it lit. 

OR

The required hp will need to be reduced while operating at the same rate of speed.

That means that a HP consumed value would need to be attached to the DIFFERENCE in pressure drop between the two systems and that VALUE would have to be large enough to translate into a hp number large enough to be measured in actually operation

Your motor for example uses say 30 hp to overcome the drag of 50 mph operation. Part of that drag is naturally the energy used by the motor to pump air. Pumping losses. That is the claim of a CAI when talking about fuel efficiency. So kids the question is will the new CAI you installed make it possible for the motor to use say 29.9 hp instead to travel 50 mph? If so then you just improved you gas mileage 0.33%. If you truck was getting 17 mpg before it will now get 17.06 mpg. How much did that cost? 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1