In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Slight distortion in front windshield of new AT4

So I’ve had my AT4 for about a week and I’ve noticed that there is a slight visual distortion right in front of my field of view while driving. There appears to be a slight wave or ripple in the glass. It doesn’t bother me while looking at close objects, only far objects. It makes them blurry and wobbly as I look around. Anybody else experience this recently? I plan to ask the dealership to replace it under warranty, but I’m not sure how receptive they’ll be. Thoughts?

Thanks. 

I had that on my 2019 Sierra when I bought it. Turned out to be a mark from the plastic cover they use when shipping. After a thorough cleaning (by the detailer at the dealership) it went away. My main complaint concerning the windscreen, is not being to clean the inside very well. It's due to some type of coating put on at the factory. 

Do you have the HUD? I know the windshields are different depending on if you have HUD or not. The HUD windshields have some type of laminate layer in/on them. Maybe this is what you’re seeing.

I do have the HUD but it’s much higher on the windshield. I’d say about 2/3 of the way up. The HUD is in the lower third.

I did do a quick light cleaning of the window with just a towel. Maybe I’ll try again with some actual chemicals and some better elbow grease and see if that helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this before, in fact I noticed that my 21' HUD was blurry compared to my 20', not enough you couldn't' read it, but just enough to make it annoying.    I also noticed that if I moved the HUD up and down it would become better/worse.  I take this mean the glass is the issue not the HUD itself.   I haven't bothered asking the dealer about it, because their new mantra seems to be "normal operation" for everything I bring up from squealing brakes to sounding like it has bad bearings when it cold and auto-starts. 

I have an appointment at my dealer next Wednesday. They said their glass guy would look at it and file a claim with GM. If GM approves it it’ll take 3-4 weeks to get the new glass in.  Fingers crossed!

I had my appointment this morning.  They said that GM usually claims that some glass distortion is normal and won't repair under warranty, but the service guy agreed that mine was right in my field of view and noticeable enough to try and file a claim.  Fingers crossed!  He said I should hear back in a week, but it could take up to three weeks to get a new windshield in.  And then they'd need a half day to replace the glass.

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully got my front windshield replaced this morning with a new piece of GM glass.  All covered under warranty.  The paperwork specifically stated that the distortion was right in the driver's field of view.  Sounds like this was the driver to getting it replaced under warranty.