6.2 Fan Club

On 9/14/2021 at 6:37 PM, TxTruckMan said:

National average is now up to 60 cents difference between regular and premium. A 20 gallon fill up will net $12 extra dollars. But if you get better mileage while on premium it almost becomes a moot point. 1 mpg is about 7% better mileage. Premium costs 18% more. So really it’s only ~$7 a fill up for premium gas and better performance. If you can’t afford an extra $7 per fill up, maybe you shouldn’t have gotten the 6.L? 🤔. That’s my opinion anyway. 

I've got about 4,800 miles on my Sierra SLT with 6.2L.  Almost 2,900 was towing an approximately 6K pound travel trailer.  For grins, I've tried 93 (not available in most places I go), 91 (typically is available), 87 and 88 E15.  Honestly, despite the theoretical differences, I have not been able to measure any difference in fuel economy using any of those fuels.  It could be because the travel trailer is like towing a barn but it seems like a 1 or 2 MPH change in wind direction or how many hills I encounter are the only things that really make any measurable difference.

Also, there are reasons to have the 6.2 as opposed to the 5.3 even if you aren't getting 100% of the power out of the 6.2 that you could.  If you look at graphs of the torque curves of the two engines, the 6.2 makes as much torque under 2000 RPM as the 5.3 does at its peak around 4100 RPM.  So its not just the maximums that matter but also where its making its torque.  With the 6.2 you have lots more available at normal highway speeds, which matters when you are are towing the barn.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Love my 6.2!  Sometimes wonder how will the 3.0 duramax would work for me though.

PS:  On a recent trip, we had three RV's in a convoy.  The guy with the RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi was always the first to have to stop for gas and when we did, he usually took about 2 gallons more than me.  But...he also had a bit heavier trailer so who knows.  The guy with the 6.6 Duramax and by far the biggest trailer got the best mileage.  

Edited by ratman6161
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ratman6161 said:

I've got about 4,800 miles on my Sierra SLT with 6.2L.  Almost 2,900 was towing an approximately 6K pound travel trailer.  For grins, I've tried 93 (not available in most places I go), 91 (typically is available), 87 and 88 E15.  Honestly, despite the theoretical differences, I have not been able to measure any difference in fuel economy using any of those fuels.  It could be because the travel trailer is like towing a barn but it seems like a 1 or 2 MPH change in wind direction or how many hills I encounter are the only things that really make any measurable difference.

Also, there are reasons to have the 6.2 as opposed to the 5.3 even if you aren't getting 100% of the power out of the 6.2 that you could.  If you look at graphs of the torque curves of the two engines, the 6.2 makes as much torque under 2000 RPM as the 5.3 does at its peak around 4100 RPM.  So its not just the maximums that matter but also where its making its torque.  With the 6.2 you have lots more available at normal highway speeds, which matters when you are are towing the barn.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Love my 6.2!  Sometimes wonder how will the 3.0 duramax would work for me though.

PS:  On a recent trip, we had three RV's in a convoy.  The guy with the RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi was always the first to have to stop for gas and when we did, he usually took about 2 gallons more than me.  But...he also had a bit heavier trailer so who knows.  The guy with the 6.6 Duramax and by far the biggest trailer got the best mileage.  

I just got 12 mpg towing my trailer in my hemi yesterday, 3 hour trip on the freeway with the hammer down doing 110 km/h, no stops, some decent hills and lots of passing as I was in a hurry. I have the highway gears, so at that speed I was locked in at 6th gear doing 2200 to 2300 rpms. Not hating on GM at all, I love them as well; but my hemi has not disappointed me in any way yet.

Lot of it has to do with driving style as well; you can be constantly in the pedal doing nothing but forcing yourself to keep up with traffic (so on pedal, backing off, on again, backing off, lots of passing etc) and that will kill your MPG. A calm steady foot will get you +2 mpg easily while towing.

My trailer isn't overly heavy; it's short (23? feet), but has the same frontal area as a larger 28 to 33 foot for example, so at that point you're pushing the same amount of wind, and I had a 12 foot kayak strapped to my truck as well so I ain't complaining.

7 hours ago, UNSTUCK said:

Hmmmm. Not to tell anyone how to drive or anything...... The idea of needing to switch into 4x4 because otherwise you would loose traction to the rear end in your heavy throttle take off seems absurd. I've owned my 6.2 for almost a year. Have never had to even consider loss of traction when pulling out into traffic. Maybe wait and let that car pass then pull out when you have more time. Because of your set up you may have time to avoid a collision, but does the driver of the car you pulled out in front of know that? Consider the effect your action has on that driver.

Flame on...

I think you miss understood.  I don't jump out in front of traffic as to cut someone off.  I'm talking about getting out when there is break that is still safe, and I like to get  up to speed.  I find even light throttle with the 6.2 and in a turn, the back right wheel will spin.  I'm just trying to reduce that spin by using Auto 4x4.  Unlike most that drive here and pull out, they just slowly move along and don't try to at least get up to the posted speed limit, which is worse.