How to protect against having truck stolen.

GN2018

I have to park my truck outside of my garage.  I keep my truck locked and I keep nothing of value in my truck to give anyone any incentive to break into it.  I have wheel locks which I think are pretty much useless but they came with the truck.  We've been having a string of vehicle thefts around me and I'm getting a bit more concerned that the entire truck may be gone some day.  In the past, I looked at this as an insurance problem, but with such a limited supply of trucks out there, I'm worried that I may not even be able to replace my truck if it were to be stolen.

So, what are some good things to do to at least make it more difficult to steal my truck?  Along the same lines, any idea how they steal a truck with push button start?  I had one car stolen and they basically stuck a screwdriver in the key on the counsel and turned it.  Not too difficult.  But that was ages ago.  With key fobs and push button start, how do they steal these things.  Note, I don't want an instruction manual on how to steal a truck, but some insight on how it is done may help structure a plan to detour a would be thief.  For example, there was a story on the news about Challengers being stolen and the thief's were somehow creating a fob and just going to start the car and drive off.  Seems to me that they'd need the VIN to do that.  So, maybe I should cover my VIN?

Bottom line - what can be done if it must be kept outside.  I am able to keep mine near my garage door, off the street and in view of my security camera and motion detecting lights.

I have read some stories about how some high-tech thieves have a device that, if close enough, can pick up the signal from your fob then mimic that signal to steal some cars.  There are probably ways to disable the ignition and/or fuel or cut off total power to everything but then you'd lose your clock settings and other things.  Even with all of that, some thieves will even pull up in a repo-style truck, lift it and go.  Bottom line, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

For starters- keep it well lit.. that might help you a bit. But it’s a growing problem and we are all going to face more and more of it. 

The VIN won't help except for a standard key code. They won't need to read it.  The RF remote broadcasts  a weak signal, but a thief with a proper receiver/cloning circuit will receive that signal from the transmitter either when you are exiting the truck or while it is in your house.

Their equipment is very sensitive and can find a transmitter quite a distance inside of your house. Best defense is to get a RF shielding bag or just wrap all vehicle transmitters in aluminum foil. Even a vehicle in your garage is not safe because they can clone the transmitter and wait till one day you leave it outside for a few minutes. Similar results with garage door openers.

It is similar technology that allows a garage door opener built in to your truck "learn" the code from a portable door opener.

Once your truck is stolen by a professional "ring" it will likely be shipped out of the country or go to a chop shop and parts sold to shady body shops after the VIN markings are removed. That is why car manufacturers imprint every control unit with the vehicle VIN. The electronics won't work in another vehicle.

Another thing that can happen is that a parking valet (or service shop) can program another transmitter to your truck, and look up your address from registration in your glovebox.

Your ECM has the capacity to learn at least 4 separate transmitters. Some fleet vehicles can learn many more.

Fobs in a faraday bag or box, park in the driveway with the wheel turned hardover so they can’t drag it out as easily. The Club is ridiculous but actually a decent deterrent since nobody has used one since 1997. Modern thieves won’t know how to defeat it. Plus thieves are lazy and would rather just find a softer target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GN2018 said:

I have to park my truck outside of my garage.  I keep my truck locked and I keep nothing of value in my truck to give anyone any incentive to break into it.  I have wheel locks which I think are pretty much useless but they came with the truck.  We've been having a string of vehicle thefts around me and I'm getting a bit more concerned that the entire truck may be gone some day.  In the past, I looked at this as an insurance problem, but with such a limited supply of trucks out there, I'm worried that I may not even be able to replace my truck if it were to be stolen.

So, what are some good things to do to at least make it more difficult to steal my truck?  Along the same lines, any idea how they steal a truck with push button start?  I had one car stolen and they basically stuck a screwdriver in the key on the counsel and turned it.  Not too difficult.  But that was ages ago.  With key fobs and push button start, how do they steal these things.  Note, I don't want an instruction manual on how to steal a truck, but some insight on how it is done may help structure a plan to detour a would be thief.  For example, there was a story on the news about Challengers being stolen and the thief's were somehow creating a fob and just going to start the car and drive off.  Seems to me that they'd need the VIN to do that.  So, maybe I should cover my VIN?

Bottom line - what can be done if it must be kept outside.  I am able to keep mine near my garage door, off the street and in view of my security camera and motion detecting lights.

Get hold of your wiring diagram and put a switch in the cab that you can disguise to kill the fuel pump.  So if they get past all of your and GMs deterrents, the truck will still be in sight of where you parked it.

Does yours come equipped with Shock and Tilt sensors?  Onstar?  Aftermarket alarms can call your phone and such. 

A thief interested in chopping your truck up for parts may look elsewhere if he sees that all of your glass has your VIN etched into it.  

Gorilla Wheel Locks make locking lugs for EVERY lug, not just one in six.  A wheel thief may seek out an easier target upon seeing 24 locks and not 4.

Got a 2-speed transfer case?  Put it into neutral and chock the wheels.  Unless they come with a flatbed and winch, they won't immediately know what to do and that buys you time to put your drawers on and grab your shotgun. 

4 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

and that buys you time to put your drawers on and grab your shotgun. 

As Clint Eastwood cool as that sounds, there’s no way I’m going to confront a car thief.  The potential that these people have no regard for life, not even their own, is too high to risk anything like that.

FWIW, I draw the line at my door.  Anything outside just has to be accepted though deterrents that make sense are certainly in play.

• Like 2

dispose of the key fob just use the master key.

always back into a parking stall, it's harder for them to steal with towtruck. combine this with the KARR security lock out ignition disabler really makes it harder if they copied the key

fuel pump kill switch

sprint booster has a throttle lock out on the Throttle body, need to enter code just to open throttle

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

https://winner-intl.com/wp-content/themes/theclub/img/2015-club-logo-web.png

A lot of the oldtimers put their hopes and money into "The Club" as the end all be all anti-theft device. Although those hopes were quickly dashed when they learned a hacksaw could chew through a steering wheel in about 15 seconds and now "The Club" could be used as a handy weapon.

Any attempt to prevent theft will more than likely result in a truck that will leave the owner stranded, in the end if they want it... it's gone. 

Edited by It's Tim
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So it sounds like one of the main ways they steal these things is buy replicating the fob. I had no idea it was that easy.  Interesting - thanks.  I’ll lock down the fobs for sure and will look into some of the other suggestions.