In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2020 Rear Pad Replacement

Hey guys. Looking for a little bit of information as I have been unable to find anything definitive  through my many searches. I have a 2020 1/2 ton and I am replacing the rear brake pads and wondering if it’s possible to do myself. I’ve always replaced my own pads yet with the electronic parking brake there seems to be an issue, GM says I need a scan tool to release the caliper piston and I’m just wondering if there’s another way around this. Tia

Edited by Jasoned

Because rear brakes are garbage on these trucks, completely worn out after 19,000 km. If you read up on it it’s a very common issue, both sides are worn evenly left to right. 
I did finally find an article on how to do this the EPB needs to be removed with the battery disconnected and then you are able to manually back the piston stop out and then compress the piston. A few extra steps but it is doable only problem is the brake wear monitor needs to be reset with a scan tool, total money grab for GM. 

Wow. I didn't realize it was such a pain.

The wear indicator can't be reset by the owner? It can be turned off completely, for years I used a portable wear indicator called flashlight 🙂 always worked great!

My truck has around 10,000km...rear brake pads are at 96%. are you sure your brakes are in proper working order?

• Like 1

I've never had a truck need new brakes prior to 100k miles.  I'd bring it to the dealer for warranty if you think the pads are worn that quickly.

There was a comment I read in a thread where the brake wear indicator screen was incorrect and had to be updated.  Maybe that's the problem?

On 9/14/2021 at 8:39 PM, Jasoned said:

Because rear brakes are garbage on these trucks, completely worn out after 19,000 km. If you read up on it it’s a very common issue, both sides are worn evenly left to right. 
I did finally find an article on how to do this the EPB needs to be removed with the battery disconnected and then you are able to manually back the piston stop out and then compress the piston. A few extra steps but it is doable only problem is the brake wear monitor needs to be reset with a scan tool, total money grab for GM. 

Make sure that before you start the battery is disconnected to prevent the brake master cylinder from pressurizing the hydraulic system during its automated self diagnostic tests that can possibly occur when a door is opened or the key transmitter is activated. 

On the T1's, the brake wear sensor should be replaced with every brake pad change.  The wear percentage can be reset from the driver's interface but it is the parking brake that sometimes needs to be recalibrated and that would need to be done with a scan tool. However, if you dont have a scan tool, a procedure I found online, but have not verified yet, is as follows:

1. With the ignition ON, apply and hold the brake pedal.
  2. Push and hold the EPB switch down for 5-6 seconds.
  3. Release the EPB switch.
  4. Momentarily push the EPB switch down.
  5. Remove the EPB MODULE fuse and reinstall.
  6. Apply the EPB.
  7. Release the EPB.

For removal of the brake pads:

• DO NOT use any air tools to remove or install the guide pin bolts. Use hand tools ONLY.
  • Install an open end wrench to hold the caliper guide pin in line with the brake caliper while removing or installing caliper guide pin bolt. DO NOT allow the open end wrench to come in contact with the brake caliper. Allowing the open end wrench to come in contact with the brake caliper will cause a pulsation when the brakes are applied.

Edited by Gangly

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 3:23 AM, Transient said:

Wow!  This may be the first vehicle I own that I won't be replacing the brakes on when it comes time.

No way I'm doing that either!  Unbelievably complicated.  Ugh...

I don't think it's that big of a deal. With the parking brake off, disconnect the wires to the caliper, remove the EPB motor from the caliper, turn the coupler that the motor meshes with clockwise till it stops, compress the caliper piston and replace the pads. After assembling, pump the brakes up, cycle the EPB a few times and carry on.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:27 PM, Acpantera said:

I don't think it's that big of a deal. With the parking brake off, disconnect the wires to the caliper, remove the EPB motor from the caliper, turn the coupler that the motor meshes with clockwise till it stops, compress the caliper piston and replace the pads. After assembling, pump the brakes up, cycle the EPB a few times and carry on.

Yup, sounds a lot more in depth than it actually is.