UPDATED... 2 month old 2021 AT4 - 10 DTC’s on start this morning!

Well crap!  Almost sounds like a bad harness connection or something maybe...

No issues starting, driving, etc.  Zero issues before this.

CFA24FAD-C99D-42E6-A7D7-E29F06BDF725.jpeg

Edited by RCF71

Ok, that was on my way to the park and ride this am.  Just got back to truck about 30mins ago.... went into limp mode, pulled back in to parking lot, put in park and killed it... except it says “Put into Park” now and won’t totally turn off.  Motor is off but dash and radio still on.  Waiting for tow truck now while having a beer in ac at sportbar by park and ride lot...

2 months old and 2200 miles... sad!

2 minutes ago, RCF71 said:

I’m trying, but been over an hour now... not wanting to get $hitfaced!  Hahaha

Your only "vehicle" now is beer, let it choose your path🤔😬🍺🍺

Good luck on the truck, hope it is something easy and simple to fix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No, I thought about it but decided to let them have it as is rather than it maybe start again and then wonder when it quits or they say they can’t replicate it.  Things are so computerized/electronic these days, it’s nice when things work but little things can be very frustrating!

When I first saw the O2 sensor code, my first thought was someone stole my catalytic converter last night, but it was still there.

Edited by RCF71

• RCF71 changed the title to UPDATED... 2 month old 2021 AT4 - 10 DTC’s on start this morning!

Well, looks like it was as simple as a bad battery... time will tell.

They tried to charge it (wouldn’t turn completely off before I had it towed, so battery drained overnight), and it wouldn’t take a charge at all.  They replaced the battery and truck is acting normal. Guess all these dang electronics are extra sensitive, never had an issue like this with my Camaro and the battery gets kinda low frequently as I don’t drive it a lot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RCF71 said:

Well, looks like it was as simple as a bad battery... time will tell.

They tried to charge it (wouldn’t turn completely off before I had it towed, so battery drained overnight), and it wouldn’t take a charge at all.  They replaced the battery and truck is acting normal. Guess all these dang electronics are extra sensitive, never had an issue like this with my Camaro and the battery gets kinda low frequently as I don’t drive it a lot.

Yes todays cars and trucks can not run on a lame battery like the did in the old days. You also can not jump start a battery which i didn't realize until recently, and thankfully not learning it the hard way.

14 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

Yes todays cars and trucks can not run on a lame battery like the did in the old days. You also can not jump start a battery which i didn't realize until recently, and thankfully not learning it the hard way.

When did this happen? 

Is there a year cutoff?

11 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

When did this happen? 

Is there a year cutoff?

I did a quick search to find this article but i heard a mechanic on a car forum discussing it and didn't realize it could have damaging effects. Glad i have not had the need for a jump in many years now.

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/can-a-jump-start-damage-computers/

5 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

I did a quick search to find this article but i heard a mechanic on a car forum discussing it and didn't realize it could have damaging effects. Glad i have not had the need for a jump in many years now.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2020/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2020-chevrolet-silverado-owners-manual.pdf

Instructions for jump starting 2020 Silverado page 415. 

• Thanks 1

Okay I read the link. 

15 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

It is carefully worded. Very carefully worded. You used the word (CAN"T) be jumped. I'm not being nit picky here but rather precise. It certainly can be. 

Is there a risk? Yep. How big? In his own words:

How serious is the risk when neither engine is running? I admit, it’s pretty low if the dead battery is just slightly discharged but still above the 9.6-volt threshold, but it’s not zero.

Post is littered with the words "maybe", "might", "could", "is possible" 

The thing that creates doubt for me is two fold.

1.) GM still prints jumping instructions in the manual.

(They are on the hook for the damage during the warranty)

2.) He goes straight to the sale of a jumper pack

This follows basic marketing strategies: 

•  Create a fear/doubt
  •  Create a solution
  •  Create a profit

I like jumper pack's. Own one. They are convenient, small, easy to manage and don't require a circumstance of a passer by being handy.

If you read the manual and follow it you will note that there is a method of assuring this voltage spiking does not happen. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Okay I read the link. 

It is carefully worded. Very carefully worded. You used the word (CAN"T) be jumped. I'm not being nit picky here but rather precise. It certainly can be. 

Is there a risk? Yep. How big? In his own words:

How serious is the risk when neither engine is running? I admit, it’s pretty low if the dead battery is just slightly discharged but still above the 9.6-volt threshold, but it’s not zero.

Post is littered with the words "maybe", "might", "could", "is possible" 

The thing that creates doubt for me is two fold.

1.) GM still prints jumping instructions in the manual.

(They are on the hook for the damage during the warranty)

2.) He goes straight to the sale of a jumper pack

This follows basic marketing strategies: 

•  Create a fear/doubt
  •  Create a solution
  •  Create a profit

I like jumper pack's. Own one. They are convenient, small, easy to manage and don't require a circumstance of a passer by being handy.

If you read the manual and follow it you will note that there is a method of assuring this voltage spiking does not happen. 

I don't think he is trying to sell anything, there is a risk of damage being done so why take that chance? Regardless of it being minimal it would suck to get a jump and either damage your vehicle or the one doing the jump and it is proven that it can indeed happen.

As you said jumper boxes are more convenient and as stated in that article are the safe way to jump a dead battery in todays cars and trucks. No need to take chances to save what 50-100 bucks for a jumper box.