In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Ok, 

I want to come back to the GMC/Chevy family.  For over 20 years, I owned a 98 GMC Suburban, putting over 230k miles on it myself and LOVED the truck. I too owned a 2003 Chevy 1500...put many miles on it too.

I am looking at the GMC/Chevy 2500 series diesel trucks.  I will stay within the 2016-2019 year range, with about $35k plus'ish budget.  I might look at the 2021 trucks, only due to many deals/rebates etc. 

What suggestions or tips are out there for these trucks?  What should I watch out for and/or look at getting? 

So, a few years ago, I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Lonestar -- well, I have been disappointed with  Chrysler/Fiat (FCA).  Short story, they lied about the ecodiesel, and after forced recall ECM update, they sucked all performance etc., from the truck.  When I had my suburban, I never had so many recalls, been lied to, and never had poor performance.

Thanks, for any suggestions that you will provide.  Gary

A word of advice on buying a used truck, especially a diesel or any vehicle that appears to no be original.  A friend was telling me the horror story about a used private owner Silverado diesel his son purchased not long ago.  He a carpenter and found a used 2019 K2500 for sale and purchased it from the owner.  I guess he was having some issues and since it was still under warranty, he took it the Chevy dealer only to find out the warranty is blocked for ECM tampering.  Found that out when he took truck to Chevy dealer for some minor repair under warranty.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Demarsico
      Hello everyone. My first time here. I have a 2021 Sierra AT4 with the 6.2L. I have started to notice a noise when towing our boat that weighs about 6,000lbs. Several times during the trip to and from the lake I hear a rumbling sound that last like 2-4 sec. almost sounds like it can be a jake brake or hitting rumble strips on road. I hit no strips. I can’t recall if it happens on downshift or what. But it does concern me. I drove home from work today with our towing and put it in tow haul mode. It made the noise 3 times in 45 min drive. Any ideas what I’m dealing with? Would it be a bad clutch issue or is this normal?  I do have the performance GM installed exhaust and performance GM installed air intake. I called dealer today and they said bring it by and they MIGHT have time to get to it next week. I planned to hit the lake this weekend for Labor Day. Thanks. 
    • By Apache32Bravo
      Bought this vehicle brand new. I love it, and perfect for myself, my family, and the fact it's Diesel puts the cherry on top for me. But... now things have started. We have currently 1,137 miles on the vehicle and had the first message populated:

- Service steering column lock. (see photo)

Everything else worked, remote start, standard start, and the vehicle had zero issues. The following day from our road trip, we had to go to the DMV with our out-of-state paperwork to submit for plates. My wife now received a new message. 

- Service emissions system. See owners manual. (see photo)

She drove to the DMV and left to get the smog paperwork. Then a new issue: 

- Vehicle remote start isn't working. (see photo)

She is in the car and tries to start... Nothing. She tries again. It starts, and she drives it to a local dealer. They come to look and scheduled us for an appointment. She drives the vehicle now, and Onstar now shows the emission issue. ( see photo ) We now can't register the vehicle in California, because, the check engine light is on, emissions warning, and they won't smog it until it's corrected. 

Awesome... 

I noticed that none of these issues happened until it updated the software in the vehicle. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed. I've been looking around for answers and only finding more issues that are all pretty shitty. Sorry, no better way to say it. I've also seen a post of people saying, “deal with it, it's a new breed of vehicles,” etc. I’d challenge that answer. No one should pay this much for a vehicle and face these issues I'm reading about. 

So here's what I'm going to do, document everything, and I mean everything. This will be for everyone who may have this issue now or who may come across it. 

My opinion...but I'm not a mechanic, is that there is a massive software and hardware issue with these models. I believe GM internally has to know about this from Dealers, Customer Service, Compliance Reports, etc. I'm sure all issues are in the queue to be address or fixed. I do, however, feel with the challenges of physical hardware that they chose a vendor that was most cost-effective, which is a component of these issues a long with the capability to support the software complexity of the current models. 

Or maybe I'm just wearing a tin hat, who knows. 

So, I open this up to you. Any advice, similar issues, outcomes you've faced, and other topics, please comment below. 

May the journey of dealership visits begin. Hopefully, this journey isn't to long. 

• By James Whitake
      Been looking at a new truck... 
      2008 Sierra 2500HD SLE with the 6.0L vortec
      290,000km or 180,000 miles

And its got a 6 inch BDS lift with 35's.

Been really into pre-lifted trucks as it saves all the upfront costs of getting it properly installed and such, just wondering if this is a good idea to get into especially with the high mileage if anyones got some feedback!
    • By brisk00
      I just bought a used 2021 AT4 with the 3.0 with about 3,800 miles.  This is my first diesel but I have read a ton of documentation, forums and Facebook groups specific to the 3.0 Duramax.  When I got the truck I scrolled through all of the information in the DIC.  I noticed that the DEF gauge is a about a third full.  I figured the previous owner may have done a lot of towing with it because at 3,800 miles it should not be that low.  Am I correct in that assumption?  Should I go ahead and fill it up or wait until the truck tells me to?  How much do I fill it? Until full?

Thanks!