In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Tailgate dent and scratch

I had a disabled car in my driveway that I was having to maneuver around and all the sudden a basketball goal jumped out behind me.  Luckily it was the movable kind, so after Impact I just pushed it till I stopped.  Ends up denting the tailgate and scratching the bumper and tailgate.  No plastic pieces were harmed in this moment of stupidity. Funny thing is that I have one of those hitch sensors on it to keep from dining the tailgate.  Seems like I could hit the dent from the inside and pop it out.  Am I just going to cause more damage?  Do they make touch-up paint?

16316426424468177237004623052206.jpg

Yes they make touch up paint, you just need to know your paint code. The dealership may have the paint touch pens in stock or can order one.

I would contact a PDR (paintless dent repair) company/guy near your area to see what they say about where that dent is. Sometimes they can't pull the dent out without causing more damage, so I would ask them first.

It kinda looks like the paint from the thing you hit transferred over to the truck, a good clay bar or buffing compound should take that off.

11 minutes ago, kylant said:

that area would be super hard to get to by PDR, but they may be able to do it. If not, the upper gate is available and it is not very expensive, $300ish. then paint

Yeah I have brought 2-3 things to PDR guys one thing they made better but not great and the other two nothing worked.  What they all had in common was every dent was on a curve like this,  curves make it hard but often times there is bracing in there etc.

Depends on what truck,  chevy thats a whole tail gate.  Either way shop can pull it out and repaint.  Ask for cash price and see if its close to a deductible.