In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Wi Fi runaround

I have a 2021 Silverado1500 with the small diesel.When I bought the truck dealer told me i didn't have to subscribe to wifi to download apps.I would be able to use my phone or home network as a wifi hotspot to download the apps.Had waze downloaded because I like the speed trap feature. After the free trial for wifi ended There are no apps listed in infocenter . I thought i could download apps with a phone hotspot.When I try it shows it on available networks it will connect but only stays connected for about 30 seconds.The dealer is telling me i am not able to connect to any other wifi but the one built into the truck. I called a Chevy 800 number and they told me if it comes up as available network i should be able to use it to download apps. Don't know if i am getting the runaround from the dealer or if they are correct. Any help would be appreciated

What does the owners manual say?  I'll be honest that I haven't looked because I haven't experienced this problem.  I pay for the data service that provides internet service so my kids are quiet on long trips. 

I've never had that problem, I dont pay for data or hotspot but only for onstar saftey and remote control. I use my home WIFI for the truck and use the weather channel app every morning while waiting for the truck to warm up and it uses my home WIFI to get me the weather. Are you only trying your phone hotspot? it might be your phone, try parking as close to your home WIFI as possible and connect the truck to it.

As usual, the dealer people are idiots. I connect just fine to the hotspot on my phone. I don't have the ability to download apps on my IOR radio, but it checks for updates just fine when connected to my hotspot. I played with the built in wifi when I had the trial but that was it.

Do you use CarPlay or Android Auto?

Your best bet is to just use your phone. Download Waze to your phone and use CarPlay or Android Auto to project to your infotainment center.

There aren't any apps you can download to your truck that you can't, or probably don't already have on your phone.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, chuckbo53 said:

I have a 2021 Silverado1500 with the small diesel.When I bought the truck dealer told me i didn't have to subscribe to wifi to download apps.I would be able to use my phone or home network as a wifi hotspot to download the apps.Had waze downloaded because I like the speed trap feature. After the free trial for wifi ended There are no apps listed in infocenter . I thought i could download apps with a phone hotspot.When I try it shows it on available networks it will connect but only stays connected for about 30 seconds.The dealer is telling me i am not able to connect to any other wifi but the one built into the truck. I called a Chevy 800 number and they told me if it comes up as available network i should be able to use it to download apps. Don't know if i am getting the runaround from the dealer or if they are correct. Any help would be appreciated

Should work if you set you phone up to act as a 'hotspot' (same as you might do if you wanted to use for phone to link you laptop to the internet. (on android   Settings>Network & Internet>Tethering>Wi-Fi hotspot> turn on 

The first time it'll need be set it up -- name, permissions, etc

If your at home your truck will likely be able to see your home wi-fi (assuming you have home wi-fi, and assuming you can park within it's range)

I have the exact same problem. My 2021 trail boss will connect to my home network for about 15 seconds and then say disconnected.  I understood that there was an update to fix this problem, but I hate to let the idiots at the dealership touch my truck. Every time I do I get it back greasy or damaged. They try to clean or fix what the've done only to make it worse.  I am living with the same wi fi problem. If you know of a fix please let me know!