Center console to radio harness

On 1/10/2022 at 6:31 PM, Adam Csencsits said:

The extension harness is part number 84376073. it plugs into the back of the USB block on the bottom of the center stack beneath the buttons for traction control, hazards, etc. There should be an open port for it already. this then plugs into the main harness from under the front passenger seat. The cable should be located under the cup holder/tray.  

BUT... I just completed this swap also. My 2020 Silverado TB LT had the jump seat/bench seat and I switched it to the full center console without the wireless charger option. In addition to the extension harness, I purchased the new wire harness that plugs in under the front passenger seat and is responsible for powering the anti-theft module (mounted under the cupholders), the light in the bin, the antenna for the key fobs and/or buttons on the handles, and the rear USB ports. With all things plugged in, including the extension harness, the USB block in the bin gets power and charges phones as intended, however the radio screen/infotainment screen stays stuck on the Chevy bowtie screen. With the USB block unplugged, the infotainment center works normal. 

Very frustrating but I hope there is a remedy for this issue. I reached out to some friends at a GM dealer in service and they seem to think that GM hasnt released the programming necessary to make the truck accept the newly installed USB block since it was not originally equipped with it. 

I am willing to bet that if you unplugged the ports in the dash, the one in the console would work. You should try it. would be interested to know.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, huy8000 said:

I am willing to bet that if you unplugged the ports in the dash, the one in the console would work. You should try it. would be interested to know.

I thought that same thing, unfortunately it doesn't work either. With the usbs in the dash unplugged, the USB ports in the console do in fact get power but the screen lock up still happens and now I'm down 2 more charging ports. What about just wiring the ports in the console to have basic power instead? How would I go about that?

17 hours ago, Adam Csencsits said:

I thought that same thing, unfortunately it doesn't work either. With the usbs in the dash unplugged, the USB ports in the console do in fact get power but the screen lock up still happens and now I'm down 2 more charging ports. What about just wiring the ports in the console to have basic power instead? How would I go about that?

Dang, GM really screwed us on this lol. If you have a backseat that has the usb ports in the center you can just tap into those for 12V. You could probably find out what the harness plug is for the ports in the back and use that. the wireless charging that is made aftermarket for our trucks pretty much do the same thing. They built a harness that would plug into the back ports and then made a wireless charging pad that fits in the mount. It would be the same concept though. You could "splice" Quick splice tap or you could build your own harness. either would work. 

6 hours ago, huy8000 said:

Dang, GM really screwed us on this lol. If you have a backseat that has the usb ports in the center you can just tap into those for 12V. You could probably find out what the harness plug is for the ports in the back and use that. the wireless charging that is made aftermarket for our trucks pretty much do the same thing. They built a harness that would plug into the back ports and then made a wireless charging pad that fits in the mount. It would be the same concept though. You could "splice" Quick splice tap or you could build your own harness. either would work. 

Haha, yeah I'd say they have really restricted some things. Thank you for the help, I'll look into splicing in to get some power in there. 

• 1 month later...

So has anyone had success adding the usb ports to the center console and powering them? I hate that there are ones on the dash and in the rear but none in my console so i'm looking to add them as well.

I have been in the Information Tech field for 28 years and when I installed my wireless charging pad the port that is in the console under the cup holders that connects to the harness is a Mini USB Plug, now knowing that, not sure if this would supply enough of power for more then a few devices at once or if your just looking for ports, try buying a USB hub, non-powered, something cheap off amazon and using an adapter from the Mini USB to whatever plug your USB hub has on it and that might solve the problem,

I have tested a dumb non powered USB hub plugging into the existing USB port on the dash and i was able to power and charge an iPhone 11 and iPad Pro through the USB hub.

If you wanted to hide the hub and cables i would imagine after getting the proper adapter for the Mini USB plug in the console you could shove everything in the console and just plug your devices in that way,

Just a thought.

Here is the hub i used to test this on my 19 RST Silverado

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QFM3GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is an adapter that would work, the adapter needs to be female on both sides as the plug to the harness in the truck is Female and the plug for the USB Hub is male also

EDIT: I posted the wrong adapter and just fixed the link below for the adapter you need a female USB A to male USB Mini, i was mixed up, now if you have USB in the center console with the SD card slot you are going to need what i said plus a USB Mini Female to USB A male adapter to plug the console plugs into the hub, i am NOT sure if the hub will work for the rear ports or not, just putting this out there, if you dont have the rear ports in the center console or at the rear of the center console then i wouldnt worry about this

https://www.amazon.com/SaiTech-Mini-USB-OTG-Digital/dp/B00VWTD7CQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=34R5GB5WNSKWY&keywords=mini+usb+male+to+usb+a+female&qid=1646255932&s=electronics&sprefix=mini+usb+male+to+usb+a+female%2Celectronics%2C127&sr=1-4

If anyone needs clarification please let me know i hope i explained it good enough

Edited by chrisfox75

On 3/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, chrisfox75 said:

I have been in the Information Tech field for 28 years and when I installed my wireless charging pad the port that is in the console under the cup holders that connects to the harness is a Mini USB Plug, now knowing that, not sure if this would supply enough of power for more then a few devices at once or if your just looking for ports, try buying a USB hub, non-powered, something cheap off amazon and using an adapter from the Mini USB to whatever plug your USB hub has on it and that might solve the problem,

I have tested a dumb non powered USB hub plugging into the existing USB port on the dash and i was able to power and charge an iPhone 11 and iPad Pro through the USB hub.

If you wanted to hide the hub and cables i would imagine after getting the proper adapter for the Mini USB plug in the console you could shove everything in the console and just plug your devices in that way,

Just a thought.

Here is the hub i used to test this on my 19 RST Silverado

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QFM3GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is an adapter that would work, the adapter needs to be female on both sides as the plug to the harness in the truck is Female and the plug for the USB Hub is male also

EDIT: I posted the wrong adapter and just fixed the link below for the adapter you need a female USB A to male USB Mini, i was mixed up, now if you have USB in the center console with the SD card slot you are going to need what i said plus a USB Mini Female to USB A male adapter to plug the console plugs into the hub, i am NOT sure if the hub will work for the rear ports or not, just putting this out there, if you dont have the rear ports in the center console or at the rear of the center console then i wouldnt worry about this

https://www.amazon.com/SaiTech-Mini-USB-OTG-Digital/dp/B00VWTD7CQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=34R5GB5WNSKWY&keywords=mini+usb+male+to+usb+a+female&qid=1646255932&s=electronics&sprefix=mini+usb+male+to+usb+a+female%2Celectronics%2C127&sr=1-4

If anyone needs clarification please let me know i hope i explained it good enough

Chris, I like that idea. Are you using the factory part that goes under the lid in the center console to give the factory look? 
By the way does anyone have that part number for it? Number 6 in the imagespacer.png

Adam, with your set up where you able to get at least the AUX or the SD card to work for the radio? 

I am thinking because of the chip shortage they did not add these features to the radio itself so setting it up like Chris said would be the only option unless you replace whatever all these things connect to which I would think be the radio. 
I did find an upgraded radio for $700 since I was upset to find out they removed the HD radio. I have not purchased this but I am considering it. It may help out in Adam’s situation, just not sure.

https://www.infotainment.com/products/2019-2020-chevrolet-silverado-mylink-iou-gps-navigation-hd-radio-upgrade?variant=39621705302052

Thank you everyone for all the information so far on this issue/upgrade.

MadCow

Forgive me for asking but i might have missed a post, what is it you are trying to accomplish?  

My writeup was about using an alternate piece for the USB ports not a factory look, if you are looking to add the USB/SD Card slots in the center console then this is a different conversation, I was talking about adding more USB ports without tearing the center console out to add the harnesses etc. for the factory look, and I'm not sure a truck without the center console USB/SD Slot from factory can be added, yes you can buy the harness and the USB/SD ports for the center console but i am not sure if the plug under the passenger seat has the proper pinout to support an addon.  (Can someone weigh in here on this), if you are intent on adding the ports for the "factory" look then i would get a diagram of the pins of the plug under the seat and compare it with the plug in your truck, if they match up then great, you should be able to add this as a factory installed option, but again I'm not that versed on doing this as my truck came with the center console ports.

Also all the plugs on the harness under the center console plug directly into a large plug under the passenger seat which should be removed the get to the plug, the only plug on the harness routed to the dash is number 10, the main harness for the console goes to the seat which is number 11 in the above picture you posted

My suggestion if your going that far to add the USB/SD ports to the console and if you dont have the wireless charging i would add that in the process, or just the harness for the wireless charging, the harness i used on my truck which has the existing USB/SD ports in the console if it works the part number from the wireless charging thread for the console harness is 84482759

I would read the thread about wireless charging which might shed a little more light on the subject about what your trying to do.  Keep in mind there is harness number 10 as i talked about before in your photo that supplies the USB port to the main harness in the console for the USB/SD ports in the console, so there are essentially 2 harnesses, the main one for the console which has the plugs for the USB/SD. rear seat heaters (don't worry if you don't have them just get the harness it will be fine unplugged if you don't have the seats) and the wireless charging plug for the other equipment, again the wireless charging plug can also stay unplugged if you don't wish to add this option

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/240951-adding-oem-wireless-charging-pad-to-a-2019-2020-silverado/#comment-2435909

Going back to what i was talking about, i did test a standard USB hub plugged into the port on the dash and the hub worked as designed, simple solution but not a factory looking one, just an alternative.

Also, i would need to see a parts list of the diagram to determine what you would need, and again I'm going back to this, I'm not even sure if it would work, look at wiring diagrams and pinouts for the harness under the seat and if you have the plug coming from the dash with a USB Mini male plug on the end of it

I am all about making things look stock if possible do your homework on this before blindly ordering parts and your best bet is to pull a couple panels off to get a few photos of the pinouts and if the center console has the USB mini plug from the dash

Chris

Edited by chrisfox75

Here is my center console before wireless charging install, there is a plug with a white end on it which is a Mini USB coming from the dash which is what you need to have to support the OEM USB/SD card slot in the center console, which is harness number 10 in your diagram IIRC that is routed to the dash and plugs into the USB ports on the dash in the second picture i included, cant remember if its the grey or black one but it doesnt matter as one runs to the dash and the other is the number 10 harness that runs to the console, so you need to see if the ports on the back of the dash have those 2 connections or even just one but another one should be empty, if not then you have another problem and you might be able to replace the usb ports on the center stack with the one with 2 ports on it, but im not getting into that since i have no idea how that works,

Hope this helps

IMG_6738.JPG

IMG_6741.thumb.JPG.e5eccb062159d3f380a2c0a00fd54039.JPG

Edited by chrisfox75

Chrisfox, yes that helps tremendously!

I am looking to get a factory look and feel of the usb/smart card reader inside the box if possible and have it work with Apple play… unlike the usb in the back not sure why gm decided to make that a power port only. Hopefully this will work. I have also be following Adam’s threads who seems to be trying to do the same thing without much luck.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:31 AM, Adam Csencsits said:

Haha, yeah I'd say they have really restricted some things. Thank you for the help, I'll look into splicing in to get some power in there. 

This is why I suggested the radio upgrade from https://www.infotainment.com

with the hope that this is where the USB and card read finally terminates. It is an expensive upgrade but for me it’s worth it since it does come with the HD radio. I am going to contact Infotainmnet and see what they suggest to see if it is possible.

Thanks all I’ll keep the thread updated.