Borla Touring or S Type on the fence

I have been going back and forth on these. I currently have my screens covered up and the flapper open. I like the way the truck sounds on its initial cold start but it quickly gets too quiet. I like the deep growly exhaust but do not want it too loud. I have to also keep the wifey happy. She likes the quiet in the cab and zero drone. I am hoping to hear from those of you that have either one of these that could give me your opinions on some real world input. I have read tons and haven't had much luck in the way of sound clips. The truck is a 19 5.3 with the DFM disabled. Thanks in advance  

My truck came with the GM Performance Exhaust which I think is the Borla Touring.  I haven't modified a truck exhaust since I was in my 20's because I spend a lot of time in my truck and now appreciate the quiet ride.  The GM exhaust makes itself heard when accelerating but is relatively quiet when cruising so I'm not complaining about it.  There's no drone.  The only time it annoys me is when towing as the sound echoes off my boat and is louder than I prefer.  I think the exhaust going out the rear makes them quieter than in the past.  I had a Corsa Touring years ago and it seemed louder.

• Like 1

I have the Borla S-Type and love it.  Anytime I've had it to a shop the guys are always asking about it and comment on how good it sounds.  It's louder than I expected on startup but quiets down quickly.  I don't have any drone but I don't tow either.  Have had it loaded up heavy a few times and it didn't change then.  It's definitely noticeable when you get on it.  Very happy with the purchase.

Both of those option will be a notch or two quieter than this:

Borla makes a very well designed exhaust. It's actually pretty amazing how they can build such a "loud" exhaust that has very minimal (virtually non-existant) drone. I imagine the S-type and touring are pretty similar to the above, just with the volume turned down a level or two.

• Like 1

I have a 2019 Sierra Denali 6.2 with the Borla S type and like J2Jones stated the cold start up is loud but after a couple seconds quiets down to deep growl. I feel I should've gone with the touring because of the loud start up, but my neighbors like my truck with the S- type they're always giving compliments and say it sounds like a truck should sound. On my 2016 Sierra Denali I had the gm performance exhaust installed and on every cold start it started like the truck farted and I hated it LOL. Overall I like the Stype, no drone in the cab and it's slightly quiet inside. Just the start up is a bit loud for my liking, but a million times better then the Fart my 2016 did on start up with the gm performance exhaust. 

So I recently went through this.  I have a 2021 5.3 10 Speed Trail Boss.  I previously had a 2020 RST which I installed the Borla Touring exhaust on it.  I was happy with it.  I installed the same exhaust system on my TB, and for some reason wasn't as happy with it.  I blamed it on the 10 speed which shifts much more, and keeps the RPMs down better than the 8 speed.  A co-worker put a new exhaust on his truck, and it made mine sound stock...so last month I contacted Borla and asked if I could buy the S Type Muffler.  They sold it to me, and I installed it about a week ago.  15 minute job, just swap out one section.  Initially I loved it, but after a couple weeks I went back to the Touring.  It sounds good, but it's pretty loud outside the truck.  Inside it was remarkably quiet for the noise it made outside.  Really impressed with what Borla can do as far as drone.  I'm happy back on the Touring system now.  My motivation was I wanted it a little louder than the Touring, but the s type ended up being more than what I wanted.. I loved the sound, but I just felt for me it was too loud for my daily.  I have an s type system on my C5 Corvette and LOVE IT.  

On a side note, anyone with a GM Performance Cat Back or Touring that wants to upgrade to the S Type let me know.  I have the muffler sitting in my garage that I need to get rid of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mcropper514 said:

So I recently went through this.  I have a 2021 5.3 10 Speed Trail Boss.  I previously had a 2020 RST which I installed the Borla Touring exhaust on it.  I was happy with it.  I installed the same exhaust system on my TB, and for some reason wasn't as happy with it.  I blamed it on the 10 speed which shifts much more, and keeps the RPMs down better than the 8 speed.  A co-worker put a new exhaust on his truck, and it made mine sound stock...so last month I contacted Borla and asked if I could buy the S Type Muffler.  They sold it to me, and I installed it about a week ago.  15 minute job, just swap out one section.  Initially I loved it, but after a couple weeks I went back to the Touring.  It sounds good, but it's pretty loud outside the truck.  Inside it was remarkably quiet for the noise it made outside.  Really impressed with what Borla can do as far as drone.  I'm happy back on the Touring system now.  My motivation was I wanted it a little louder than the Touring, but the s type ended up being more than what I wanted.. I loved the sound, but I just felt for me it was too loud for my daily.  I have an s type system on my C5 Corvette and LOVE IT.  

On a side note, anyone with a GM Performance Cat Back or Touring that wants to upgrade to the S Type let me know.  I have the muffler sitting in my garage that I need to get rid of.

Did borla send you the muffler and the "resonator" muffler that goes after it as well? From what I understand the S-Type and attack systems share the same first muffler but differ in the 2nd one. 

How was the drone with the S-Type compared to the Touring?

14 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

Did borla send you the muffler and the "resonator" muffler that goes after it as well?

Was wondering the same thing.  It might not sound the same if the muffler was replaced without the resonator.

So since I went with the S-type it's only the muffler that's different.

I think the 6.2 come with the resonator, not the 5.3.

If you look at the instructions for the Touring / s Type, they are all the same.  

Only difference is the muffler section.

• Thanks 1

@Firehawk99  didn't see your second question at the end about drone.

Honestly the interior noise at speed wasn't that bad.  I was amazed at how loud it was during acceleration, but so quiet at cruising speed.  I could hear my tires more than the exhaust cruising at 60 mph, and I ditched the loud Duratracs so I have much quieter tires on it now.   The DFM was a lot more noticeable.  Really made the truck sound like a diesel when it kicked in at low speeds.  I'm happy with the touring after going back to it, but loved the sound the s type made.  I wish there was something in between them, but that's not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a used 17 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71. I didnt care for how the stock sound sounded. I went for Borla's attack dual out back end 140537  for me its throaty on acceleration and still has a little drone when the AFM kicks in. But then again I'm talking about highway cruising

I had the S-type on my 2016 5.3 and fully intend on doing the same with the 2021. Check out the Borla video that does the comparison of stock vs touring vs S-type. Do not listen on your phone, use something with a good sound system. The system in your truck will be fine and turn it up.