PSA: Always pay attention when backing the trailer

So I am the world's biggest idiot. I'm  already not very good at backing up, so when I missed my turn off and decided to back up, I should have put more focus on what the trailer was doing .... Ended up jack knifing the thing and squashing my left rear and the storage box on the trailer....  I am wicked stupid.....

PXL_20210925_020121867.jpg

The box was on the tongue I presume.   Seen someone damage their tailgate (not me) when they forget the gate was down and backed up jack-knifing the work trailer putting a big 'V' in the top of the t-gate.  Company trucks and boss was po'd, was new truck.

Edited by elcamino
typo

6 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

So I am the world's biggest idiot. I'm  already not very good at backing up, so when I missed my turn off and decided to back up, I should have put more focus on what the trailer was doing .... Ended up jack knifing the thing and squashing my left rear and the storage box on the trailer....  I am wicked stupid.....

PXL_20210925_020121867.jpg

I saw the damage on your truck and it looks almost identical to the damage I had when I was hit in the rear of my truck back in July from a person texting on her phone but mine was on the passenger side corner. It turned out to be almost 7 grand for the repair cost from her insurance. Our dealer body shop did the work and it turn out perfect and spent almost a month in the shop also her insurance paid for my rental truck at 1450.00 for the month my truck was in the shop.

I have backed a boat trailer for someone many times at the boat ramp. Backed RV's in RV parks. It's like many things in life, some can do it, some can't. 

Go to a parking lot and practice, practice would be my suggestion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elcamino said:

The box was on the tongue I presume.   Seen someone damage their tailgate (not me) when they forget the gate was down and backed up jack-knifing the work trailer putting a big 'V' in the top of the t-gate.  Company trucks and boss was po'd, was new truck.

Yup... Can barely open it now. Gonna take a hammer to it today I think... :)

PXL_20210925_020133792.jpg

57 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have backed a boat trailer for someone many times at the boat ramp. Backed RV's in RV parks. It's like many things in life, some can do it, some can't. 

Go to a parking lot and practice, practice would be my suggestion. 

Yeah .. practice, and focus.  My mistake here was taking my eyes off what I was doing.

I would try and get it fixed cash out of pocket with no VIN being reported to the insurance co UNLESS you plan on keeping it forever as the hit it takes on the carfax can kick your butt on the resale plus the claim on your insurance.

Just my experience I have had.

Great job manning up and posting this.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, Chris Callanan said:

Yup... Can barely open it now. Gonna take a hammer to it today I think... :)

Might be a good idea to remove the box from the tongue so it never happens again.

Edited by elcamino
remove pic from quote

10 hours ago, elcamino said:

Might be a good idea to remove the box from the tongue so it never happens again.

Nah - need the box to hold stuff...  we took it off, took a couple hammers to it.. didn't get any pictures, but doesn't look terrible considering the tools we had...