Trailer camera issues - 2020 Denali HD - Bad 7 way connectors? Recall?

I have 2 different enclosed trailers with GM Trailer cams mounted to the back. I have the camera mounted above the ramp door so I have not worried about the "transparent" trailer thing. I just use the rear camera view. At times, both have worked well, but they are very finicky and sometimes display no video. Now, my snowmobile trailer refuses to display a picture. I have tried shutting the truck off, rebooting, all kinds of things I have seen suggested here to try, nothing works consistently. (Although  I am not sure if I have tried reconnecting after the truck has "gone to sleep". Wondering if anyone has found any ideas that work consistently.

Another issue I have is the crazy amount of force needed to disconnect the camera from the truck. When disconnecting the camera plug, it feels like I am going to pull the entire 7 pin/camera bumper port right off the truck. I have tried some dielectric grease, some other lubes, most anything to try to lessen the amount of force needed to get the camera plug out of the truck's trailer connector.  No real success, it is still very difficult. The round 7 way is fine, however the camera plug on the truck is crazy hard to disconnect from.

I see a number of owners here on the forums talking about their dealers replacing the 7-way.... are there known defective units out there? a recall? Even a simple non-camera connection like a single jet ski trailer sometimes require me to wiggle the 7-way plug to get all the lights to work. Maybe a new 7-way/camera plug receptacle would cure all my issues. 

I don't have the issues you are having, but I did put a little dielectric grease on the seal that prevents moisture from getting into the connection.  It does make connecting and disconnecting the cable easier.

I have the camera on my camper. I’ve never had the issues you are having and it seems like you have tried a lot. If I remember correctly, there are blue o-rings on the camera connector. You might try removing them and seeing if it connects and disconnects easier. If it does, you have found your friction source. Maybe order new o-rings from GMC and lube them up and install them and see if it helps. Hope this helps some. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I need to do something... the force needed to disconnect is very close to literally ripping the trailer plug/camera connector port right out of the truck.

Regarding the camera connection, it works maybe 30% of the time. I connect the camera... truck off and "sleeping" sometimes I have camera view, most of the times I don't. Cannot believe GM cannot get this right. 

Has anyone had these issues? Any real solution. I have tried hot connection, cold (truck off) connection, wait for the truck to go to sleep connection... nothing consistently works.

I also have had the issues and feel its related to not getting the camera connection in there tight enough. Also I think it has to be connected before the truck is started or "on" as there are times where I have got the connection tight but needed to shut down the truck before it would recognize the camera. I did move the camera/7pin up into the bed as I have a 5th wheel.