2020 Chevy Colorado Trailer Brake Wiring

Need explanation on wiring a 2020 Chevy Colorado WT Trailer brake control on the dash. Wiring already completed in rear and purchased the factory TB Control and Wiring connector and harness but confused on which wires go where. I have the schematic from the dealer for the TB Control that has 8 wires. Indicates 1,2 not used. 3 is TBC Switch 5V reference, 4 is TBC Manual Apply Signal, 5 is TBC Manual Apply Redundant Signal, 6 is TBC User Gain Signal, 7 is LED Backlight Dimming Control, 8 is TBC Switch Low Reference. In my owners manual is indicates the 4 wires for connecting the TBC are located under the left kickplate and have located them. The four wires per manual are Red/Green = Battery Feed, Black = Ground, White/Blue = Brake signal to Controller, Blue = Brake Power to Trailer Connector. Wires only 4 wires from the truck and 6 wires to the controller need to know which controller wires go to what.  See files attached 

Colorado Brake Control Wiring.pdf 2020 Colorado Trailer Brake Control Wiring.docx

When you say you bought the "factory" control and connector, are you talking the factory integrated one that would have been in the dash panel?

You CANNOT add the factory control switch to the truck.  It will not work, nothing will happen.

Sell the parts and buy an aftermarket brake controller.  It is your only option and that is what the 4 blunt wires are for is for adding an aftermarket brake controller.  

Edited by newdude

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread, but i just spoke to a GM service tech that said there is a electric trailer brake kit for our colorado's. Still trying to find the part number, but the kit consists of the dash panel, control switch, bumper receptacle and an access code that the dealer will need to unlock this option. The access code is the key component. It will update the BCM firmware to unlock the trailer brake control feature and also give you another function on your touch screen for trailer brake control. If anyone has this part number...or access code, it'd be greatly appreciated!

20 hours ago, Blackhawkguy said:

I know this is an older thread, but i just spoke to a GM service tech that said there is a electric trailer brake kit for our colorado's. Still trying to find the part number, but the kit consists of the dash panel, control switch, bumper receptacle and an access code that the dealer will need to unlock this option. The access code is the key component. It will update the BCM firmware to unlock the trailer brake control feature and also give you another function on your touch screen for trailer brake control. If anyone has this part number...or access code, it'd be greatly appreciated!

It cannot be done.  Simple as that.  No such kit exists, nothing.  Notice you can't find a p/n?  

Aftermarket controller is the only option.  

Edited by newdude