3.0 Duramax engine knock or rattle noise

Brand new ‘21 Sierra Denali 3.0 diesel truck, going on 2k miles.  Upon acceleration, the engine makes a pinging or knock noise.  Sounds like a gas engine with low octane fuel.  Dealer said they all sound this way.  Anyone else?

18 hours ago, designzio said:

Brand new ‘21 Sierra Denali 3.0 diesel truck, going on 2k miles.  Upon acceleration, the engine makes a pinging or knock noise.  Sounds like a gas engine with low octane fuel.  Dealer said they all sound this way.  Anyone else?

The diesel is designed as a detenation ignition compared to a spark ignition(gasoline), so your diagnosis is correct, a diesel will knock and clatter. But the 3.0 is pretty darn good at hiding the fact. I can't get over the fact that they can hide the light blue/gray smoke a diesel produces at cold start-up.

Be thankful you don't have a Detroit under the hood.

Edited by gemarsh
Spelling

My 2021 3.0 was extremely quiet for the first 400 miles and then it started under light acceleration and light deceleration like when I am going stop sign to stop sign in a 25 mph area around where we live. It is like the pistons are hitting the cylinder head. It is really loud.  

Our Grand Cherokee eco diesel does not sound like that and I never heard any of my 7 Ram's with Cummins motors do it either. 

It seems to be pretty common for the 3.0. Mine does it as well. During regen it is even more prevalent.

My truck did not do it at all when new And within the first 1000 miles developed the rattling under light acceleration. It bugged me and I searched all over the internet. Apparently, the injectors can be “relearned” or something which will get rid of the knock/clatter under light accel. I read information that it’s temporary relief from the noise and it will return. Someone on some forum mentioned a TSB on this but I never found it.

I considered taking it to the dealer, and would have if my local one was not totally worthless. But they are, so instead I have driven the truck for 13,000 miles, the noise is still there but I don’t even notice anymore.

I really think it’s a non-issue. Try some premium quality diesel or an additive if you don’t like hearing it. 

On 10/3/2021 at 11:03 PM, designzio said:

Welcome to owning a diesel engine.😀

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same clatter, fuel knock, and pinging with mine as well. I notice it’s really sensitive to different fuels with BP causing the worst sounds from the engine. Love’s with 7 oz. of Stanadyne additive gives the best results for me. I’m also thinking the oil is way to thin for these diesels which is contributing to the noise.

• Like 1