Remote Start Defrost Fan Speed

UNSTUCK

Is there a way to turn the fan speed up to full blast when doing a remote start? It drives me nuts that when I do a remote start in the morning then head out to the truck that the windshield is only clear about 1/4 of the way up and the fan speed is maybe on medium speed. It's putting out warm air, just not enough of it. Steering wheel and seat are nice and warm though.

It doesn't matter if I leave the speed on high the night before or not. It always just defaults to a low/medium speed. Once I get in and push the start button the fan instantly jumps up to where I left it the night before.

It did this in the summer too with the A/C. It would be blowing nice and cold, but with so little air output it didn't really make the inside of the truck cooler. There must be a way to tell it to blow at high speed.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, UNSTUCK said:

Is there a way to turn the fan speed up to full blast when doing a remote start? It drives me nuts that when I do a remote start in the morning then head out to the truck that the windshield is only clear about 1/4 of the way up and the fan speed is maybe on medium speed. It's putting out warm air, just not enough of it. Steering wheel and seat are nice and warm though.

It doesn't matter if I leave the speed on high the night before or not. It always just defaults to a low/medium speed. Once I get in and push the start button the fan instantly jumps up to where I left it the night before.

It did this in the summer too with the A/C. It would be blowing nice and cold, but with so little air output it didn't really make the inside of the truck cooler. There must be a way to tell it to blow at high speed.

Thanks.

What climate controls do you have, manual or the automatic?

What is the temperature in your area in the mornings?

2 hours ago, newdude said:

What climate controls do you have, manual or the automatic?

What is the temperature in your area in the mornings?

I assume I have the automatic controls, although I never intentionally let the truck control it. I set the temp and either high or low and control the fan speed myself. The truck showed 36F* this morning with a thin layer of ice on the windshield from the rain overnight.

2 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Fan speed set to maximum initially will result in extended time for engine to get to temp but what the heck give it a shot. 

That's fine with me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the air blowing on the windshield only needs to be 33F* to start melting ice off it. And seeing as how it was melting ice, and blowing warm air into the cab, I'm sure it was hot enough.

3 hours ago, ram1067 said:

Yes in settings under the vehicle auto start climate options 

Thank you for the simple answer. I'll look for that after work today.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:21 AM, ram1067 said:

Yes in settings under the vehicle auto start climate options 

Didn't work. I only have an auto fan speed option, based on how loud I want the cab to be. Not sure why that would matter. When most people do a remote start to warm up, they are not in the truck?!?!?

I believe whatever auto fan speed you choose whether you’re in the cab or remote start is it. You cannot set two different speeds for remote versus when you’re in the cab. You can remote start it up to 10 minutes I live in Michigan and I don’t have any issues. Good luck

It does not matter what speed I have the fan set to when I get out of the truck at night. When I remote start the next morning the fan is blowing at a medium speed when I get in. After I get in and press start it then jumps right to the speed I had it set at when I got out the night before.

If you ask me, it should be the opposite. It should run at high speed during a remote start no matter what. Either in the winter to get the most warm to hot air or in the summer to get the max cold air. The truck does not need to warm up in the summer to get the A/C blowing cold. Starts doing that right away. So set the fan to high speed.

• 1 month later...

Unstuck, I’m having the same experience with my 2021 3L Duramax. It’s very aggravating. I’ve messed with the lame setting control options too. I didn’t have this issue with my 2011 Silverado. Have you figured a solution to this problem yet? I’m thinking about stopping by the dealership. 

Same with the 3.0. I actually just came on here to look and this post was right at the top. 2021, fan is literally off in a remote start. My 2018 would be blowing on high defrost until i turned the key on, then it would revert to the "auto" setting. I get the water temp isnt up but as stated, it onlt needs to be 35 deg to start melting the ice. You could remote start the diesel for 2 full 15 min cycles and its not going to be at operating temp

21 minutes ago, Shovelarmy said:

Unstuck, I’m having the same experience with my 2021 3L Duramax. It’s very aggravating. I’ve messed with the lame setting control options too. I didn’t have this issue with my 2011 Silverado. Have you figured a solution to this problem yet? I’m thinking about stopping by the dealership. 

12 minutes ago, youcantkeepup! said:

Same with the 3.0. I actually just came on here to look and this post was right at the top. 2021, fan is literally off in a remote start. My 2018 would be blowing on high defrost until i turned the key on, then it would revert to the "auto" setting. I get the water temp isnt up but as stated, it onlt needs to be 35 deg to start melting the ice. You could remote start the diesel for 2 full 15 min cycles and its not going to be at operating temp

To put it simply, nothing you can do.  The truck has pre-determined operations during remote starts.

DUAL ZONE AUTO CLIMATE OPERATION DURING REMOTE START: 

Cold ambient temperature that is below 50°F (10°C):

Mode = Defrost

Temperature = Full Hot

Blower = Six bars

Recirculation = Fresh Air

A/C compressor = Only commanded on if conditions allow compressor engagement.

Hot ambient temperature that is above 59°F (15°C):

Mode = Last known settings

Temperature = Full Cold

Blower =  Last known settings, unless the blower was in the "Off" position. In which case, the blower will be turned to the "Auto" setting.

Recirculation = Recirculation

A/C compressor = On

Mid ambient temperature that is anything between the cold and hot ambient temperature values:

Mode = Last known setting

Temperature = Last known setting(s)

Blower =  Last known setting

Recirculation = Last known setting

A/C compressor = Last known setting

SINGLE ZONE MANUAL CLIMATE OPERATION DURING REMOTE START:

Cold ambient temperature - below 50°F (10°C): 

Mode = Defrost

Temperature = Full Hot 

Blower = 8

A/C compressor = Only commanded on if conditions allow compressor engagement.

Hot ambient temperature - above 59°F (15°C):

Mode = Panel Vents

Temperature = Full Cold

Blower =  8

Recirculation = Recirculate 

A/C compressor = On

Mid ambient temperature - anything in between "cold" and "hot" ambient temperature values that are listed above:

Mode = Last known setting

Temperature = Last known setting

Blower =  Last known setting

Recirculation = Last known setting

A/C compressor = Last known setting

• Thanks 1

right.. however you state:

Mode = Defrost

Temperature = Full Hot

Blower = Six bars

my blower is not on at all with the system set in auto

On 12/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, youcantkeepup! said:

right.. however you state:

Mode = Defrost

Temperature = Full Hot

Blower = Six bars

my blower is not on at all with the system set in auto

I want to say the blower doesn't run on high during remote start until the truck is warm enough to provide heat to the defrost.