In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Poor Remote start range with key fobs 2015 Silverado LT

Anyone else here have issues with the range of their remote start? Even 100 feet from the house it seems like it only wants to pick up the signal half the time, tried both my other sets of fobs too. all 3 of my fobs have brand new energizer ultimate lithium batteries as well. 

I’ve read here about a RCDLR, remote control door lock receiver. Does that pick up the signal from remote start? I’ve heard some people move this reciever to another location along the back window? If anyone has any information I’d greatly appreciate it 

23 hours ago, greenoliver1 said:

Anyone at all?

Try replacing the batteries again? Maybe the batteries weren't new?
I already know mine are getting low as I use them all the time to lock the truck, remote start, and then unlock.
I've noticed a degradation in range and I'll be replacing them soon.
The chin thing from @GOMD actually can help but it's a short term solution.

15 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

I already know mine are getting low as I use them all the time to lock the truck, remote start, and then unlock.

Think the chin thing works best if you have metal fillings. 

Always thought it was an "Old Wife's Tale".

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:36 PM, MikeBMW said:

i tried replacing the batteries with ones from a different batch, no change. I thought I seen someone people have moved their RCDLR closer to their roofs as that apparently increases reception range 

15 minutes ago, greenoliver1 said:

i tried replacing the batteries with ones from a different batch, no change. I thought I seen someone people have moved their RCDLR closer to their roofs as that apparently increases reception range 

Just curious, not being mean spirited, but why do you need to start your truck from a distance greater that 30 plus yards?

On Star gives you a pretty unlimited range, maybe better idea than tearing your truck apart on a fix "that might work".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

On Star gives you a pretty unlimited range

Indeed it does. However, many owners don't want to pay the subscription fee.
I was at the dealer to pick up my truck, one day, the service tech was on a break so no one in the service center knew where the truck was parked.
I pulled out my phone, flashed the lights, and 100 yards away, there was my truck. :D
They gave me the keys to go get it, before I paid the bill, and, I jokingly said "I'm outta here, see you later!"
Really, they offered to get it, but I just figured I need the exercise and everyone had a good laugh.
I drove it back to the service center and paid the bill. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

However, many owners don't want to pay the subscription fee.

Completely agree, and your story is right on point with what I was asking the OP.

Kind of off topic, but the Home Link in my 2014 would not open the door sitting right in front of it at times. My 2018 will open it down the street, 150 plus feet. There were a lot of "bugs" in the 14 and 15's. Just not sure if there is a solution for the range of anything on a 15.

• Like 1

Hi, Jim, I don't think that's off-topic.
Unfortunately, most of the issues I read on this site are from 2014-2015 owners.
Especially 2014.
Even so, there are a lot of happy 2014 owners.
So, as with any complicated machine, there will be failures, fixed in later iterations, while some just seem to escape the issues as long as they are well-maintained.
Even at that, early iterations of anything new carry the burden of being an unintentional test bed.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 1:37 AM, JimCost2014 said:

Just curious, not being mean spirited, but why do you need to start your truck from a distance greater that 30 plus yards?

On Star gives you a pretty unlimited range, maybe better idea than tearing your truck apart on a fix "that might work".

i mostly want it for work, where my boat ties up is maybe at most 150 feet away from where I park my truck. But it seems to only work about 50/50, even from the house it’s that way, where it’s about 35 feet.  I don’t mind tearing my truck apart to make it function the way it’s intended, I’ve been driving and fixing anything besides serious internal engine/trans/driveline stuff. I don’t mind doing it, it’s just a matter of figuring out why the range is poor and fixing it to me. I’d rather do that than subscribe to onstar, it’s just frustrating the old school remote starts on my 97’ and 98’ K1500 Silverados works fine from even 500 feet, but the 15‘s range is horrible. I’ve got an aftermarket key fob and someday I’m going to see if I get better range with that over the factory one. Probably won’t, but I wanted a 3rd key set anyways haha