New Owner, does anyone know how to program a trailer brake controller without the dealerships ridiculous price?

On 10/16/2021 at 2:00 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site.

Unless your truck came from the factory with the trailer brake option, you will never get it work.

Still amazes me that dealerships are selling the parts and offering to program something that can not be done. 

The trailer brake option is more than just the controller, it is embedded in the trucks computers, has multiple items that are unique to it throughout the truck. I would check to see if you can return it, as your only option is going to be an aftermarket unit.

I see.. well I didn't want a ugly after Market controller sticking out and ruining my clean factory each look.. and the truck was trailer ready, hookups all in place, and the original wire was already in, when I opened up the panel, I found the wire inside connected to a dummy port behind the panel cubby where the trailer brake controller would be if it came with it.. for that reason I thought it would be compatible.. I seen a YouTube video of a guy that installed one and mentioned that it was going to have to be taken to the dealership to be programmed. There is a wire still in package for a aftermark controller that would have to be wired in manually to the module. But the original one was in place. So I assumed it would be plug and play. But as I said, the video I watched, same year truck, the guy had mentioned that it would have to be programmed... Because I believe it has an automatic feature with the tow haul feature if I am not mistaken. I did see a message pop up mentioning something about brakes when I pulled my car home on a trailer.. trailer connector was in place and worked perfectly. Tow haul worked perfectly. All that was missing was the controller which had the wiring in place.. maybe I'm wrong. But I guess now the only thing I can do is contact a official dealer to get the right answer.. I very specifically do not want to install a after market one that is going to stick out or drill on anywhere on my beautiful dash.. which is why I cut I to the existing panel where the trailer brake controller would be if it had one. Finished it off nicely to look almost stock. So this would be very disappointing if all that work went for nothing.. I don't want an aftermarket. Which is why I tried to avoid that. I'm s huge Chevy brand fan... So I don't want anything else on my dash but gm official products... Maybe I'm picky. But that's not the worst... I'm also stubborn as ****. Lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Troyce Reimer said:

But I guess now the only thing I can do is contact a official dealer 

If someone tries to charge you for something that can't be done they are robbing you. Best to just cut your losses and grab either:

1.  A different truck

2. An aftermaket controller.

4 hours ago, Troyce Reimer said:

I see.. well I didn't want a ugly after Market controller sticking out and ruining my clean factory each look.. and the truck was trailer ready, hookups all in place, and the original wire was already in, when I opened up the panel, I found the wire inside connected to a dummy port behind the panel cubby where the trailer brake controller would be if it came with it.. for that reason I thought it would be compatible.. I seen a YouTube video of a guy that installed one and mentioned that it was going to have to be taken to the dealership to be programmed. There is a wire still in package for a aftermark controller that would have to be wired in manually to the module. But the original one was in place. So I assumed it would be plug and play. But as I said, the video I watched, same year truck, the guy had mentioned that it would have to be programmed... Because I believe it has an automatic feature with the tow haul feature if I am not mistaken. I did see a message pop up mentioning something about brakes when I pulled my car home on a trailer.. trailer connector was in place and worked perfectly. Tow haul worked perfectly. All that was missing was the controller which had the wiring in place.. maybe I'm wrong. But I guess now the only thing I can do is contact a official dealer to get the right answer.. I very specifically do not want to install a after market one that is going to stick out or drill on anywhere on my beautiful dash.. which is why I cut I to the existing panel where the trailer brake controller would be if it had one. Finished it off nicely to look almost stock. So this would be very disappointing if all that work went for nothing.. I don't want an aftermarket. Which is why I tried to avoid that. I'm s huge Chevy brand fan... So I don't want anything else on my dash but gm official products... Maybe I'm picky. But that's not the worst... I'm also stubborn as ****. Lol

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is a connector for the ITBC plugged into a dummy connector inside the dash.  If this is so, then it stands to reason that the wiring is present to also add the brains of the system and once connected, programmed to make it functional.

You might want to go to GM's Upfitter's website and download the electrical guide to the K2s, the copy I have is for 2016s and while I've looked, I see nothing definitive but my eyes are shot and cannot keep looking.

6 hours ago, Troyce Reimer said:

But I guess now the only thing I can do is contact a official dealer to get the right answer.. I very specifically do not want to install a after market one that is going to stick out or drill on anywhere on my beautiful dash.. which is why I cut I to the existing panel where the trailer brake controller would be if it had one. Finished it off nicely to look almost stock. So this would be very disappointing if all that work went for nothing.. I don't want an aftermarket. Which is why I tried to avoid that. I'm s huge Chevy brand fan... So I don't want anything else on my dash but gm official products... Maybe I'm picky. But that's not the worst... I'm also stubborn as ****. Lol

Dealer will simply pull up this bulletin.  Straight from GM.  I forgot to post this in my other response on the first page.  Unfortunately, you wasted time and $$$.  Aftermarket or trade the truck in for one with the factory brake controller.  

#PIT5241G: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1 - (Mar 30, 2020)
Subject:  Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1  

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

Escalade

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado 1500

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado

2015-2018

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado LD

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado 2500/3500

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Suburban

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Tahoe

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra 1500

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra

2015-2018

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra Limited

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra 2500/3500

All

All

All

All

GMC

Yukon

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to update Models section. Please discard PIT5241F.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may request the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1) be installed on their Full-Size Pickup or SUV when the vehicle was not ordered with the option. 

This is to advise you that, if the vehicle does not have the option (RPO JL1), it cannot be added to the vehicle. 

Note: Reference the latest version of PIT5282 - which advises how to install an aftermarket trailer brake controller.

Additional SI Keywords

connector electric hydraulic ITBC TBCM tow towing wire wiring

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is a connector for the ITBC plugged into a dummy connector inside the dash.  If this is so, then it stands to reason that the wiring is present to also add the brains of the system and once connected, programmed to make it functional.

You might want to go to GM's Upfitter's website and download the electrical guide to the K2s, the copy I have is for 2016s and while I've looked, I see nothing definitive but my eyes are shot and cannot keep looking.

There are two different vehicle chassis harnesses.  With JL1 controller and without.  Trucks without that option won't have any of the wiring or provisions for the module.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago, I could have written the same comments as you about aftermarket products on my dash.  It was with great reluctance that I went aftermarket.  I was comforted with how easily it could be removed and leave no visible marks.  The reality is I don't notice the controller and it is there when needed.  I also take great pride in my truck and after a bath it would look as it did when it rolled off the assembly line six + years ago!

17 hours ago, newdude said:

There are two different vehicle chassis harnesses.  With JL1 controller and without.  Trucks without that option won't have any of the wiring or provisions for the module.  

Historically, I would agree with you but the OP is saying that the plug for the factory connector is there, plugged into a dummy port to keep it tidy.  So if true, the wiring is there.  First time I've heard of this with K2s.  

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Historically, I would agree with you but the OP is saying that the plug for the factory connector is there, plugged into a dummy port to keep it tidy.  So if true, the wiring is there.  First time I've heard of this with K2s.  

No difference in the IP harnesses that's why the plug is there.

Here is the list of chassis harness on a K2 (2018 model year represented).  You can see in the RPO tags with JL1 and then excluding JL1.  I red boxed the descriptions.  If the code is not in the (EXC ******) parenthesis, the vehicle has that option.  If the code is in the parenthesis, it does not have the option.  It will blow up larger if you click it.  

Of the 4 harnesses, two of them are WITHOUT JL1 and then with/without park assist.  The other two are WITH JL1 and then with or without park assist.  

HARNESS.thumb.png.96ea57132a89ef8586b5aa4eb7c58c15.png

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, newdude said:

No difference in the IP harnesses that's why the plug is there.

Here is the list of chassis harness on a K2 (2018 model year represented).  You can see in the RPO tags with JL1 and then excluding JL1.  I red boxed the descriptions.  If the code is not in the (EXC ******) parenthesis, the vehicle has that option.  If the code is in the parenthesis, it does not have the option.  It will blow up larger if you click it.  

Of the 4 harnesses, two of them are WITHOUT JL1 and then with/without park assist.  The other two are WITH JL1 and then with or without park assist.  

HARNESS.thumb.png.96ea57132a89ef8586b5aa4eb7c58c15.png

Thanks for taking the time to look into the details; makes perfect sense.

It is indeed still an "Integrated" trailer brake controller!