11 Grease Zerks

So for the first 35-40 thousand miles while I was away at school, I got my oil changed for me and they always did the chasis lube. Now that I have moved back home and am doing the oil changes myself, I am wondering how often it is necesssary to grease up those 11 zerks. It has been about 12K now since they were last lubricated. Also, any tips to doing them?

I do the chassis lube every oil change except during the winter months. Manual states not to lube when temps are 10F or something like that. I also replaced two of the zerk fittings with 90 degree fittings to make it easier based on a tip I read here. There is guide on this website that shows the pics of each fitting.

Bob G.

Zerks

I check the rubber boots around the joints at every 3,000 mile oil change, but now I only plan on popping grease in there at each tire rotation: about every 8,000 miles. With the front tires off for the rotation anyhow, it's just a lot easier to get at the zerks.

The boots should always feel firm; that is, full of grease. If you can easily feel any metal through the rubber boot, you need some grease in there. Two or three pumps of the gun is usually enough.

Agree with all the other points made here:

Flexible hose on grease gun :thumbs:

Replace at least that one upper zerk with 90 degree zerk :D

ALWAYS clean off the zerk tip before pumping in grease :D

Try not to overfill. Stop when feels firm :)

When you're through, and everything is cleaned up and put away, do this : :fume:

Agree with everyone and mention that some have a 12th zerk, it's on the front drive shaft.

Also careful over filling, as some boots will pop off even tear if over filled. There is supposed to be a tiny hole to bleed off excess, but not always do the job...

If you choose to grease at each engine oil/filter change, not much in regards to type of grease. As long as good quality. Extended or extreme usage would suggest synthetic.

I usually do it every other oil change. I did do it every oil change but found out it didnt need it at 3000 miles, they were all still pretty full, so 6000 miles works for me! It cant hurt doing it every oil change but I would say there is enough grease in there to go a while longer.

I do grease the front end every tire rotation which is every 6k. Easy to get at since the wheels are off the front and on jack stands. Usually does not need much to keep the boots firm. I also wipe all the extra grease off the zerks to keep from building up with a bunch of road grime, not to mention makes the job look better.

Might not hurt to wipe the zerks off if you have yours lubed else where. That way you know they are doing their job and your not paying for something that isn't getting done.

I check the rubber boots around the joints at every 3,000 mile oil change, but now I only plan on popping grease in there at each tire rotation: about every 8,000 miles. With the front tires off for the rotation anyhow, it's just a lot easier to get at the zerks.

The boots should always feel firm; that is, full of grease. If you can easily feel any metal through the rubber boot, you need some grease in there. Two or three pumps of the gun is usually enough.

Agree with all the other points made here:

Flexible hose on grease gun :thumbs:

Replace at least that one upper zerk with 90 degree zerk :D

ALWAYS clean off the zerk tip before pumping in grease :D

Try not to overfill. Stop when feels firm :)

When you're through, and everything is cleaned up and put away, do this : :fume:

I agree, it is much easier to do with the tire rotation. The owners manual also recomends every 7500 miles.

Kenny

I also noticed (when I changed my tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm) that the lube shops where not getting all the grease fittings :cheers: . The upper ball joints looked like they had never had a drop of grease on them.

Check them or do them yourself!!!

I have seen many vehcles that dont get greased. There are ALOT of people out there that just never look at their boots or zerks until its too late. A buddy recently bought a '99 ZR2 Blazer and he needed his brakes changed so I told him to bring it up and I would do it. When I had the wheels off I noticed the zerks were all dry looking and had no signs of grease on them, then I looked at some of the boots and they were totally collapsed, like something has sucked everything out of them, even the air. So I told him I would go ahead and pump some grease in and they wouldnt take any. I had to end up taking the zerks out and hitting the ball part with a small punch and hammer, they had seized up and the grease gun couldnt even push them open. So got all that dont and he had the oil in the back to change his oil, sooooo I went ahead and done that and there was a big gob of grease and stuff on the drain plug!!!! The kicker is that the dealer told him they changed the oil, filter, and greased everything when they washed it before he took it home.

Archived