Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

AT4 Mid-Travel Build


Recommended Posts

Whatup guys, thought I'd share my work in progress and ask for some advice:

 

-2019 Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2l-

Bds 4" lift 
Fox 2.5 DSC front - Fox 2.0 rear
ADD Stealth Fighter Fr. Bumper
Baja Designs ONX6ARC 
Borla ATAK Exhaust
Method MR701 17X9 
BFG Ko2 315/70-r17

 

Pretty happy with the front suspension but the rear really needs some help. Too much bouncing and bucking in washboard chatter and whoops. Planning on adding a Fox 2.5 DSC and a Deaver Spring pack to eliminate the rear 4" blocks. Hoping to take away some harshness and add some travel.

 

Any advice is appreciated, I want to do this right. Thanks!

20211011_173601.jpg

20210916_181208.jpg

20210808_195404.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice looking truck. Curious how the new leaf springs will work versus stock. If they are softer and more compliant, then you might give up some payload. That’s always the balance or give and take. I’m looking at some adjustable Rancho shocks for the back, their 9000 series. They are a twin tube design like the factory from what I gather so I can dial them in for when without payload and crank them up when I haul or tow. Twin tube versus mono tube is an interesting comparison and worth looking into if you haven’t already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Comparing those Fox shocks he's getting to Rancho 9000's is like comparing a kite to a jet fighter.

 

Yeah they both fly in the sky but are they all that similar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Comparing those Fox shocks he's getting to Rancho 9000's is like comparing a kite to a jet fighter.

 

Yeah they both fly in the sky but are they all that similar?

I think that the Fox shocks are mono tube and the 9000 are twin tube. The mono shock typically has a higher gas pressure than a twin tube, so they are usually stiffer. So my point is that they are different and could be expected to ride differently. The OP mentioned bouncing and bucking, so that could be due to the stiffness of the rear shocks, especially if running empty. My suggestion was to consider a different type of shock like a twin tube that by design, will function differently. Different leaf springs impact the ride as well, so another variable. Hard to know what the ideal setup might be without some trial and error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Literally no well built offroad truck for fun, work, or racing runs anything but monotubes.  Same for anything road performance oriented. 
 

He’s on the right path. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stick with the monotube.  Adding weight to the bed of the truck will help settle it down significantly until you can get your new suspension installed.  Until then, an ice chest loaded down with water, coke, etc. is always nice to have and the additional weight over the rear axle will settle it down nicely :)

Edited by Gangly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies! After speaking with Accutune, DirtKing and Fox it sounds like the best shock option I have right now is the Rough Country Vertex which accommodates 5-7.5" lifts. They are adjustable mono tubes with remote reservoirs and have pretty good reviews, but I worry about long term quality and durability.

 

Unfortunately, Fox and King only accommodate up to 4" lifts otherwise I'd go with one of them.

 

I did order a custom set of Deaver leaf springs today, it sounds like they'll make a big difference. I'm not worried about losing a little payload since I don't haul anything heavier than a couple dirtbikes.

Edited by AT4Play
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For your uses I'd go Timbrens.

 

Airbags will likely get damaged if you plan on offroading it.  The Timbrens are basically just big bump stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does BDS make a mid travel option? I thought it was just a lift kit which gained some droop. Would love to hear more on an actual mid-travel set up (additional up and down travel gains as well as track width increases), can't seem to find many around that start getting closer to Raptor in terms of wheel travel. 

 

Tyler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want Raptor performance start talking to some of the big names like Camburg.  Not much in the way of "lift kits" will touch that purpose made setup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I understand, a mid travel set up is a suspension system that is stock width, but is focused on getting the best suspension performance and travel out of this configuration.  The BDS kit made sense for my needs, they have a killer warranty, maintain safe angles, come with some skid plates for vulnerable areas, and includes a solid UCA. 

 

While I cannot say how much travel I've gained in the front it definitely handles way better on and off road. I feel like if I can get the rear to keep up with the front this thing will be dialed.

 

Stock width is Important for my build because I live in Washington and our trails are crazy narrow. Any wider than I am now and I'll be stuck on the forest service roads. 

 

Now, if we're talking balls out prerunner dream build....

 

In order to get raptor wheel travel you'd need a long travel kit, (dirtking/bajakits) which will require oversize fiberglass front fenders and bedsides. You'll also need a bed cage so you can mpunt some bad ass triple bypasses in the back. Slap a procharger on it with a cam and long tube headers and it'll give the TRX and Raptor a run for their money.

 

Long travel beast for example:

 

image_db2716f7-efa1-44b0-864b-f5a5754b16fe_655x.jpg

image_19014307-92f2-477e-accd-266ed39ffb64_655x.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AT4Play said:

From what I understand, a mid travel set up is a suspension system that is stock width, but is focused on getting the best suspension performance and travel out of this configuration.  The BDS kit made sense for my needs, they have a killer warranty, maintain safe angles, come with some skid plates for vulnerable areas, and includes a solid UCA. 

 

While I cannot say how much travel I've gained in the front it definitely handles way better on and off road. I feel like if I can get the rear to keep up with the front this thing will be dialed.

 

Stock width is Important for my build because I live in Washington and our trails are crazy narrow. Any wider than I am now and I'll be stuck on the forest service roads. 

 

Now, if we're talking balls out prerunner dream build....

 

In order to get raptor wheel travel you'd need a long travel kit, (dirtking/bajakits) which will require oversize fiberglass front fenders and bedsides. You'll also need a bed cage so you can mpunt some bad ass triple bypasses in the back. Slap a procharger on it with a cam and long tube headers and it'll give the TRX and Raptor a run for their money.

 

Long travel beast for example:

 

image_db2716f7-efa1-44b0-864b-f5a5754b16fe_655x.jpg

image_19014307-92f2-477e-accd-266ed39ffb64_655x.jpg

I've looked into BajaKits.  You don't need fiberglass fenders unless you go to 37s and jump your truck.  It'll be fine with 35s.  They even state on their website you'd be fine with 37s if you don't jump your truck.  0ax Power's Jackal uses the BajaKits setup with King 3.0 shocks and Deaver leaf springs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Transient said:

I've looked into BajaKits.  You don't need fiberglass fenders unless you go to 37s and jump your truck.  It'll be fine with 35s.  They even state on their website you'd be fine with 37s if you don't jump your truck.  0ax Power's Jackal uses the BajaKits setup with King 3.0 shocks and Deaver leaf springs. 

 

Let's be honest though, who wants to spend all that money on a long travel kit with 37s and NOT jump it. Lol

 

The Sierras would need some fender trimming to clear for sure. Damn square wheel wells. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.