In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Best option for 2" lift for 2021 RST Z71

Hey everyone.  I posted this in the 2019 leveling thread, but did not get a response.  So I'm reposting in a dedicated thread.

I just traded in my 2015 1500 4x4 for a 2021 Z71 RST.  We also recently purchased a 25ft travel trailer that I'll be pulling every month or so with this truck.

My old truck had 2" level, and at some point I'd like my new one to sit a little higher as well.  However, since I will be towing with it I want to maintain the factory rake (which is just under 2").  Even with the WD, the back end drops a little more than the front.

I was thinking of making the upgrade functional instead of just cosmetic and doing Blistien 5100's up front and setting them for a 1.5-2.0" level, rather than just adding spacers.  I was going to go with the 5100's (and shock extenders) for the rear as well to help with towing and adding a 2" block as well to lift the same amount as the front.

Any issues with this approach, or is there another option I should be considering?  Is there a better option for the rear than the Blistien 5100's plus a block?

TLDR - What I basically want is to give my truck a "Trail Boss" lift, but I'm looking for something that's functional vs just throwing spacers in the front and back.

20210904_093615.jpg

Edited by malibu43
clarity

I'm biased, and recommend going with the GM Accessories kit that's just like the Trail Boss.  It's more than just spacers.  You get new shocks, front camera calibration, power steering calibration, longer CV axles, and it comes with a GM warranty so that the warranty you have on your truck isn't affected.  Link is below.  And, using Trail Boss towing numbers, and looking at the pic you provided of your trailer, this will reduce your towing capacity to a little over 9,000 lbs but that's still more than what your trailer will weigh fully loaded.  You'll be good to go here. 

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/lift-suspension-upgrade-system-for-4wd-vehicles-84993582?model=Silverado 1500&modelId=491&bodyId=22&body=Crew Cab Pickup&wheelId=651&wheel=Short Box&trimId=4962&trim=RST&driveId=8&drive=4WD&engineId=2059&engine=5.3L V8 GAS&bodyNumDoors=5&year=2021&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=98004

5 hours ago, Transient said:

I'm biased, and recommend going with the GM Accessories kit that's just like the Trail Boss.  It's more than just spacers.  You get new shocks, front camera calibration, power steering calibration, longer CV axles, and it comes with a GM warranty so that the warranty you have on your truck isn't affected.  Link is below.  And, using Trail Boss towing numbers, and looking at the pic you provided of your trailer, this will reduce your towing capacity to a little over 9,000 lbs but that's still more than what your trailer will weigh fully loaded.  You'll be good to go here. 

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/lift-suspension-upgrade-system-for-4wd-vehicles-84993582?model=Silverado 1500&modelId=491&bodyId=22&body=Crew Cab Pickup&wheelId=651&wheel=Short Box&trimId=4962&trim=RST&driveId=8&drive=4WD&engineId=2059&engine=5.3L V8 GAS&bodyNumDoors=5&year=2021&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=98004

Thanks for that.  I had seen people mentioning that package but had never actually looked it up.  The warranty is a good point to bring up and one that I hadn't thought of.  When I started leveling my last truck, it was well out of warranty and I did all the work myself.  I certainly would not want to do something to affect the warranty on a brand new truck.

The downside is that that package is quite a bit more expensive than the Blistein + Rear Blocks option that I had priced out ($750 vs $1200), and the GM package still needs dealership installation added on top of that...

Oh - GVWR on the trailer is only 6440lbs, so towing capacity is fine.  What I'm finding is more of an issue is the payload capacity of my 1/2 ton truck.  I only have about 1700 lbs to work with, and tongue weight of the trailer is probably between 700 and 900 lbs.  So that doesn't leave a lot of room for gas, family, and any extra gear that's not in the trailer.  I need to get more towing in with the trailer and make sure I have all my weights dialed in before I do any mods to the truck...

Edited by malibu43

My suggestion would be the Eibach Pro Truck Lift or Bilsteins.  They are both a superior suspension system to the Trail Boss Kit and the Eibach system comes with front springs as well.  If you get a chance to drive a TB or AT4 with factory suspension and then drive any Silverado, TB or not, with Eibach or Bilstein suspension components, you will notice a HUGE difference.  However, like Transient mentioned, Bilstein and Eibach components do not come with the additional GM factory support that GM would provide with their system.  Though I have never heard of a single instance where GM denied warranty coverage due to a 2" suspension lift, in the end you must go with what you are comfortable with and the GM kit does add peace of mind to those who worry about such things, I personally don't.

14 minutes ago, malibu43 said:

Thanks for that.  I had seen people mentioning that package but had never actually looked it up.  The warranty is a good point to bring up and one that I hadn't thought of.  When I started leveling my last truck, it was well out of warranty and I did all the work myself.  I certainly would not want to do something to affect the warranty on a brand new truck.

The downside is that that package is quite a bit more expensive than the Blistein + Rear Blocks option that I had priced out ($750 vs $1200), and the GM package still needs dealership installation added on top of that...

Though recommended, the suspension does not need to be installed by GM.  Once the install is completed, you can take the truck to the dealership and they can upload the calibration changes to the vehicle as it was included in the price of the kit. 

Also, as mentioned above, I have yet to see a warranty dispute due to utilizing a different shock than the factory shock.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

I just installed the Eibach Pro Lift with 2in RC blocks in the rear. It was a super easy install. I probably could have gotten the 1.5in blocks but time will tell. I could tell the difference immediately! Not to mention I actually had a blown Rancho on passenger side front that I was not even aware of. Took us roughly 4hrs give or take from start to finish.

• Like 1