No HomeLink or garage remote on my 2021 Silverado 1500 LT Trail Boss

Unbelievable that my 2021 1500 LT Trail Boss came with a manual mirror and no garage remote! They seem to be taking items out of the packages every year. Anyone fix this? Can a hardwired homelink be added? I added the hardwired homelink to my old 19 and it was fine after $450. However, the option now appears to be an auto dimming mirror with a garage remote built in underneath. The issues with trying this: 1. The flashing does not fit the mirror post as the new auto dimming mirror’s post is too big. 2. The garage remote component is battery operated and can be easily clicked out. The issue with this is safety and someone breaking in and having access to your garage. As a former police officer I used to see that a lot, broken window and access to your garage.

Anyone know if Chevy / GM has a part that can hardwire, such as on the overhead console? As of now I am using the MyQ homelink through Siri which is nice other than the garage beeps for 10 seconds when closing waking the baby…

I thought 'Universal Home Remote (Homelink) had always been optional -- except maybe on Denali and High Country. 

Sorry, I'm no help on retrofit.

Edited by redwngr

Thank you. I asked this question about the power and the ground to the pro shop at the Chevy dealership in Phoenix and they told me the electronic system changed in 2021 and homelink will not work. I get package levels such as safety and convenience, but for any vehicle after 2010 to not have a built in garage remote is ridiculous and in my opinion, a way for them to get you to come back and buy it. I would not be surprised if Chevy takes away the steering wheel for 2023 for any model under LTZ... Likely my last Silverado. Ram has stepped up their game and will likely go with one of those in a year or two. 

27 minutes ago, DougKG said:

Thank you. I asked this question about the power and the ground to the pro shop at the Chevy dealership in Phoenix and they told me the electronic system changed in 2021 and homelink will not work. I get package levels such as safety and convenience, but for any vehicle after 2010 to not have a built in garage remote is ridiculous and in my opinion, a way for them to get you to come back and buy it. I would not be surprised if Chevy takes away the steering wheel for 2023 for any model under LTZ... Likely my last Silverado. Ram has stepped up their game and will likely go with one of those in a year or two. 

Okay, I'm going to ask a dumb question, and I readily admit to it up front.  My 2020 LT has a manual mirror, but the homelink/garage door buttons are located in the headliner mounted console where the map lights are - I guess you don't have those on your 2021 LT?

Edited by Anacortes Army Guy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anacortes Army Guy said:

Okay, I'm going to ask a dumb question, and I readily admit to it up front.  My 2020 LT has a manual mirror, but the homelink/garage door buttons are located in the headliner mounted console where the map lights are - I guess you don't have those on your 2021 LT?

My 2020 LT also has the garage door buttons in the headliner. I also believe that Convenience package II was required to get them. Not sure if the 2021's are the same.

Maybe this has to do with the computer chip shortage???

There is a way to get the OE garage door opener.  It MIGHT require a new wire harness above the headliner.

Oh, and I disagree that Ram is better.  They have more problems with their electrical. 

As far as the garage buttons on the overhead console, mine does not have that and I was told that it cannot be added due to a change in the electrical / computer system from 20 to 21. As far as buying the truck with out all the options I want, sometimes you cant get all you want due to what you want to pay and what is available. To me, I feel a garage remote would be standard on any package, less a WT... Chevy also took the 110 volt plug in out of the convenience 1 package. Much of this could be due to the chip shortage. I'm probably going to see if they have updated the flashing to fit the larger post on the aftermarket auto dimmer mirror. 

FYI, if you have wired carplay, I bought the CArlinkit on Amazon and had an audio shop hardwire it behind the usb port so no wires are seen. It works amazing. Actually works without any interruption and better than my brothers 2021 Denali that came with wireless carplay. 

CarlinKit 3.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars (Model Year: 2019 to 2020), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay

Thanks all. 

My 2021 SLT has the remote buttons on the overhead console where the rear window switch and Onstar is located.  It is very handy.  My garage door and my mother-in-laws garage door are both programmed for the same code, so it works at both houses.  Might be something to consider for more than one door if needed.

My old past truck didn't have the homelink feature.  I just clipped the garage remote on the visor and didn't think about it again. 

So my 2021 Elevation did not come with it either. I was able to find one on Ebay for $100. The install was plug and play. 2 T15 Torx screws and the console popped out. The harnesses were a little tricky but it was worth it and easy install. Mine has OnStar already. I am sure it just pulls 12V from the current harness and worked fine. 

Black Harness.jpg

Gray Harness.jpg

Ebay.JPG

On 10/20/2021 at 3:39 PM, DougKG said:

Unbelievable that my 2021 1500 LT Trail Boss came with a manual mirror and no garage remote! They seem to be taking items out of the packages every year. Anyone fix this? Can a hardwired homelink be added? I added the hardwired homelink to my old 19 and it was fine after $450. However, the option now appears to be an auto dimming mirror with a garage remote built in underneath. The issues with trying this: 1. The flashing does not fit the mirror post as the new auto dimming mirror’s post is too big. 2. The garage remote component is battery operated and can be easily clicked out. The issue with this is safety and someone breaking in and having access to your garage. As a former police officer I used to see that a lot, broken window and access to your garage.

Anyone know if Chevy / GM has a part that can hardwire, such as on the overhead console? As of now I am using the MyQ homelink through Siri which is nice other than the garage beeps for 10 seconds when closing waking the baby…

Read somewhere that the trail boss is also plug and play. same as my elevation.

On 10/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, DougKG said:

FYI, if you have wired carplay, I bought the CArlinkit on Amazon and had an audio shop hardwire it behind the usb port so no wires are seen. It works amazing. Actually works without any interruption and better than my brothers 2021 Denali that came with wireless carplay. 

Do you have any idea how they were able to wire it? pics? 

• 1 year later...