I had to add 3 quarts of oil to my truck...

1 hour ago, WeGone said:

My 2021 6.2 has used 1qt in 3300 miles total mile on it now. I did my first change was at 1500. I always run in 9th gear around town (so no cylinder de-activation) and only go to 10th on the highway over 65mph.

Mine  has not used any in 11,000+ miles....

Carbon buildup on pistons can cause the piston rings to stick in their grooves. Stuck rings can fail to seal  the combustion chamber, leading to oil consumption and low compression, negatively affecting engine performance.

Here is an example of a carboned up piston..

spacer.png

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

Mine  has not used any in 11,000+ miles....

Carbon buildup on pistons can cause the piston rings to stick in their grooves. Stuck rings can fail to seal  the combustion chamber, leading to oil consumption and low compression, negatively affecting engine performance.

Here is an example of a carboned up piston..

spacer.png

I see But I don't think I'm at that point yet with under 3500 miles on it. 

99AADF24-D66B-46CD-AED6-97F58EEE0DB1_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by WeGone

2 hours ago, WeGone said:

I see But I don't think I'm at that point yet with under 3500 miles on it. 

99AADF24-D66B-46CD-AED6-97F58EEE0DB1_1_105_c.jpeg

Carbon build up isn't the problem.  An oil consumption test is needed to figure out what is going on. 

On 10/24/2021 at 7:58 PM, Twodose said:

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT, I started using synthetic amsoil about 2 years ago, I just checked the oil and had to add 3 quarts of oil, it takes 6 quarts for an oil change with the filter, the check engine light did not come on, could this have possibly done some damage to the engine?

Run ACDelco in it for the next couple of oil changes and see what happens.  I've been running it for several years now and don't lose a drop of oil unless my wife drives it.  She will routinely spin the motor over 5000 rpms, I rarely see 3000!

image.png.338089c4b6ec7866369318483e200262.png