17" rims on my 2021 3500?

14 minutes ago, Another JR said:

Could depend on specific wheel dimensions, but the base model hd trucks have 17 inch wheels. 

in 2021 the only options available on the 3500 are 18" and 20".  at least that what I'm seeing.  but I'm no expert so I may be wrong.

Sounds like you need to find a local 'buddy' with similar wheels you want, and two jacks, an air gun and see what happens. Look close at caliper to inner wheel clearance. And go from there, if you have a local tire shop or junk yard that is pretty cool, they may let you test fit one just to see. Other than that good luck sir....

32 minutes ago, Kjduvall said:

Sounds like you need to find a local 'buddy' with similar wheels you want, and two jacks, an air gun and see what happens. Look close at caliper to inner wheel clearance. And go from there, if you have a local tire shop or junk yard that is pretty cool, they may let you test fit one just to see. Other than that good luck sir....

I have the wheels I got from a buddy.  I'm gonna pull one of mine off and put one of those on and see what it looks like.  there's enough clearance now that I can get my fingers between the wheels and the calipers so IDK.

I know I saw work trucks on the lots when i was test driving 2021s that had 17 Inch wheels. They might have only been on 2500s. The duallies have 17s as well. My understanding is the brakes are the same 2500 vs 3500. As folks above said trying it is the best way to know, but I think you are going to be ok. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, kdskidoo said:

does anybody know if I can put rims 17" rims from a 2011 2500  on my 2021 3500?  I know the bolt pattern is the same and the offset is identical but I wasn't sure if the 17"'s would clear the brake calipers.  

You'd need 17"s off a 2020+up.  Most likely the wheel barrel and or the back of the spokes are why the old wheel doesn't fit.  

Keep in mind though, if you plan on hauling/towing, run a tire with the proper load rating.  The stock 275/70R18 is a 125 load index tire (3638lbs per tire), the stock 265/70R17 is a 121 load index (3307lbs per tire).  You'd be sacrificing a good bit of payload if it was needed.  And there are no 17" tire sizes I see that are higher than a 121 load index.  

This is why no 1 ton SRW trucks come with 17" wheels and why GM doesn't put that new Hankook mud tire on Alaskan Edition trucks like they do on 2500HDs.  

If you still need to work with the truck during winter, go 18"s.  Or better yet, I'd just go with 18"s period.   

Edited by newdude

24 minutes ago, newdude said:

You'd need 17"s off a 2020+up.  Most likely the wheel barrel and or the back of the spokes are why the old wheel doesn't fit.  

Keep in mind though, if you plan on hauling/towing, run a tire with the proper load rating.  The stock 275/70R18 is a 125 load index tire (3638lbs per tire), the stock 265/70R17 is a 121 load index (3307lbs per tire).  You'd be sacrificing a good bit of payload if it was needed.  And there are no 17" tire sizes I see that are higher than a 121 load index.  

This is why no 1 ton SRW trucks come with 17" wheels and why GM doesn't put that new Hankook mud tire on Alaskan Edition trucks like they do on 2500HDs.  

If you still need to work with the truck during winter, go 18"s.  Or better yet, I'd just go with 18"s period.   

the payload during the winter doesn't matter to me.  before this truck I had a 2011 f 350 which did come stock with the 265 70 17's, hence why I am trying to use my 17" tires I used on the Ford during the winter.  so if I understand what you are saying is that some 20/21's Chevys come with 17" wheels.  after trying the 17"'s from my buddy's 2011 I just don't see how any 17" wheels are going to fit on this truck.  the wheel went on and over the caliper but it was so tight it was rubbing.  I thought about spacers or different offset wheel but after trying them I don't see either of those as an option.  so I guess if I want to run a winter set of tires I'll need to buy another set of 18" wheels and new 18" tires.  ugh.

2 minutes ago, kdskidoo said:

the payload during the winter doesn't matter to me.  before this truck I had a 2011 f 350 which did come stock with the 265 70 17's, hence why I am trying to use my 17" tires I used on the Ford during the winter.  so if I understand what you are saying is that some 20/21's Chevys come with 17" wheels.  after trying the 17"'s from my buddy's 2011 I just don't see how any 17" wheels are going to fit on this truck.  the wheel went on and over the caliper but it was so tight it was rubbing.  I thought about spacers or different offset wheel but after trying them I don't see either of those as an option.  so I guess if I want to run a winter set of tires I'll need to buy another set of 18" wheels and new 18" tires.  ugh.

The 2020+up 2500HD have 17" wheels as standard equipment, both a steel and optional aluminum.

2500 and 3500 single wheel have the same EXACT pads, rotors and calipers. 

A set of 2020+up 17" wheels will fit.  Old ones won't.  

Edited by newdude

16 hours ago, newdude said:

The 2020+up 2500HD have 17" wheels as standard equipment, both a steel and optional aluminum.

2500 and 3500 single wheel have the same EXACT pads, rotors and calipers. 

A set of 2020+up 17" wheels will fit.  Old ones won't.  

I guess I don't understand then why these 17"s I have off a 2011 wouldn't work on my 2021.  after putting them on I don't see how any 17" wheel would work.  the wheel fit but just barely.  the caliper housing rubbed the inside of the wheel.  the housing went inside the wheel a good bit so you'd need a large spacer or a completely different wheel offset for it to work.  I see some others saying that 17" wheels are standard on various models but no place can I find that as an option for a 2021 or 2022.  

https://www.gmfleet.com/trucks/chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-3500hd/3500hd/build-and-price/exterior

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/silverado-3500-hd/2020/

2 hours ago, kdskidoo said:

I guess I don't understand then why these 17"s I have off a 2011 wouldn't work on my 2021.  after putting them on I don't see how any 17" wheel would work.  the wheel fit but just barely.  the caliper housing rubbed the inside of the wheel.  the housing went inside the wheel a good bit so you'd need a large spacer or a completely different wheel offset for it to work.  I see some others saying that 17" wheels are standard on various models but no place can I find that as an option for a 2021 or 2022.  

https://www.gmfleet.com/trucks/chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-3500hd/3500hd/build-and-price/exterior

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/silverado-3500-hd/2020/

3500HD come only with 18 or 20 inch wheels from the factory because payload/GVWR.

The old 17"s don't fit the 2020+up HD just like old 1500 wheels from 14-18 don't fit new 2019+up 1500s.  The new wheels have the inside faces of the spokes angled differently to clear the calipers.

A set of these below will fit your truck:

Replacement Chevy Silverado 2500 Rims Stock (OEM) | HH Auto

image.jpeg.72b4c782bff956cc227428b4381cb7d3.jpeg

• Like 1