“Flipping pill” 10 speed and 170 t stat

4 hours ago, lpg said:

Yes I was curious if this was an option on the newer 6.2 with 10 speed?

also curious if there is any long term feedback on let’s say a 170 t stat on the motor?

You want to know if the kit for the 6/8 & 10 speed is an option for the 10 speed? Don't even know what to say to that. 

Had to go look at my records but I see I've been running the 170 F since 25K miles in a motor that now has 151K. If that is long term enough. Zero issues. No it isn't a 6.2. Yes it is an Ecotec3 of the same design and no it doesn't matter what the displacement is. 

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You want to know if the kit for the 6/8 & 10 speed is an option for the 10 speed? Don't even know what to say to that. 

Had to go look at my records but I see I've been running the 170 F since 25K miles in a motor that now has 151K. If that is long term enough. Zero issues. No it isn't a 6.2. Yes it is an Ecotec3 of the same design and no it doesn't matter what the displacement is. 

the question was really if there is a similar option

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What temp did the trans run prior before the kit?

1 minute ago, redwngr said:

What temp did the trans run prior before the kit?

I did the flip when I notice on very hot days at highway speeds ATF running 215-235 F. I did try a second thermostat assuming it had failed but that was no different. So I either got two duds or.....

Depending on speed and wind direction. After the flip the same 95F day on a steady pull runs between 157-163 F. Day in and out it runs about 153 F summer. Those days are few in my area so a typical summer day is...well....lets look at my charts: 

Note this is coupled with the lower water thermostats. Also note that the difference in water temperature is not as effective on the ATF temperature as the pill flip and the colder it gets the less effect it has. 

Does that answer your question okay? 

TransTemp.thumb.png.026abb0e57c15a77d3ae332bdbbbfe88.png

FluidDelta.thumb.png.dfe8df3e5708436471b2f139ad45c671.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Does that answer your question okay? 

You bet.

Thanks for collecting, graphing and for posting!

The 10L90 behind my 3.0L dmax takes a bunch of miles to warm up, but once it does it always settles around 180F -- so not as hot as yours was running. Towing, high speed, rural 2-lane and ambient temp don't seem to have a big impact on that number.  I never run long periods of stop and go so can't speak to how it would perform doing that in high ambient. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, redwngr said:

You bet.

Thanks for collecting, graphing and for posting!

The 10L90 behind my 3.0L dmax takes a bunch of miles to warm up, but once it does it always settles around 180F -- so not as hot as yours was running. Towing, high speed, rural 2-lane and ambient temp don't seem to have a big impact on that number.  I never run long periods of stop and go so can't speak to how it would perform doing that in high ambient. 

Seeing the same with mine.

-Grover67