Remote entry receiver find/replacement

I am unable to get either key fob to lock/unlock truck. The panic button does not work either. I have replaced batteries in the fobs and cleaned (with isopropyl alcohol on cotton swab) the connections on the wafer board. All fuses appear to be working. I did not use a tester on any of the fuses; I eyeballed it. The only thing I can think is that the remote keyless receiver is not working properly or at all. Does anyone have insight into this particular problem?

Edited by Wasted Ute
Additional info inserted

1 hour ago, Wasted Ute said:

I am unable to get either key fob to lock/unlock truck. The panic button does not work either. I have replaced batteries in the fobs and cleaned (with isopropyl alcohol on cotton swab) the connections on the wafer board. All fuses appear to be working. I did not use a tester on any of the fuses; I eyeballed it. The only thing I can think is that the remote keyless receiver is not working properly or at all. Does anyone have insight into this particular problem?

Who do you know with a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool that can read BCM codes and test out the receiver?  If it is not working, there will be internal codes as to why.  On my type and generation truck, this information is in the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver RCDLR.  A new one has to be programmed to the truck.  

Thanks for the reply. I took the truck in last week to have the TPMS checked and/or replaced. Dealership said they couldn't reset TPMS, they were unable. I left, scratching my head in confusion. I figured a dealership would be able to get to the bottom of something like my problem. 

I got home and searched YouTube video, some were very helpful. I changed battery in key fob, I cleaned the circuit board in fob with cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. I couldn't get key fob to lock/unlock doors, etc. Some of the YouTube video suggested that key fob is integral to resetting TPMS. Maybe the fobs (I have 2) are both bad? 

I am attempting to narrow down the problem because I have lost faith in the dealership. This is a 2012 GMC Canyon. I do not have a Tech 2 or similar tool.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, Wasted Ute said:

Thanks for the reply. I took the truck in last week to have the TPMS checked and/or replaced. Dealership said they couldn't reset TPMS, they were unable. I left, scratching my head in confusion. I figured a dealership would be able to get to the bottom of something like my problem. 

I got home and searched YouTube video, some were very helpful. I changed battery in key fob, I cleaned the circuit board in fob with cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. I couldn't get key fob to lock/unlock doors, etc. Some of the YouTube video suggested that key fob is integral to resetting TPMS. Maybe the fobs (I have 2) are both bad? 

I am attempting to narrow down the problem because I have lost faith in the dealership. This is a 2012 GMC Canyon. I do not have a Tech 2 or similar tool.

Key fob does not activate the tire learn mode for the TPMS on that generation Colorado.

To activate TPMS learn:

- Ignition to ON

- Set the parking brake (at a minimum, just enough to trigger the park brake light on).

- Take the headlight switch and quickly within 3-5 seconds turn the switch to the PARK lamp position 4 TIMES in a row.

- Once you do that the horn with DOUBLE CHIRP, acknowledging its in TPMS learn mode.

- With a TPMS relearn tool (EL-50448 or equivalent from Amazon, etc.) start with the LF sensor and activate it.  The horn will sound when the sensor is learned to the truck.

- Continue around to each sensor CLOCKWISE (LF, RF, RR, LR).  Once the LR sensor learns, you will get one horn followed by a double horn confirming the end of TPMS learning.  

Tire shops might have an OBDII style learn tool which would have no need to activate the truck's TPMS learn mode.  Those tools use the OBDII port to transmit the TPM sensor data to the vehicle.  

Back to the fobs.

On the 05-12 Colorado, the BODY CONTROL MODULE is the brains/receiver for the TPMS as well as the keyless entry.    

Is your tire light on at the moment?  Service TPM?  

If its not, would get a hold of one of the TPMS learn tools, and follow the learn procedure I posted.  If it goes into learn mode and the sensors learn, that would tell me the antenna in the BCM for the tires/key fobs is working.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I had not checked this forum as I had been busy with work since last posting. 

I need to get ahold of a TPMS learn tool before I can test out your solution. I can tell you that the TIRE LOW SERVICE TPM is on. This has been on for months and is the whole reason for my post. I took the truck to Autozone; asked them to connect their computer to it & get me an error code. No error code was shown. Thank you for replying with steps for a solution. I will post an update soon, I hope. Or soon after the holidays. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:03 PM, Wasted Ute said:

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I had not checked this forum as I had been busy with work since last posting. 

I need to get ahold of a TPMS learn tool before I can test out your solution. I can tell you that the TIRE LOW SERVICE TPM is on. This has been on for months and is the whole reason for my post. I took the truck to Autozone; asked them to connect their computer to it & get me an error code. No error code was shown. Thank you for replying with steps for a solution. I will post an update soon, I hope. Or soon after the holidays. 

Amazon.com: VXDAS TPMS Relearn Tool for GM Tire Sensor TPMS Reset Tool Tire Pressure Monitor System Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Buick/Chevy/Cadillac Series Vehicles 2021 Edition : Automotive

As far as reading codes, most of the little handhelds that parts stores have can't read anything other than ECM/PCM/TCM codes, sometimes ABS and Airbag.

Something like this:  BlueDriver   Can let you scan and read codes for all modules as it supports enhanced diagnostics to read codes in all available vehicle modules it can read.  

Edited by newdude