Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Tire Pressure


Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I have always followed the tire pressure sticker on the door jamb when airing up, but the stated pressure seems excessive (60 front/70 rear) for cruising around with an empty truck? This is my first 2500HD, so not sure...

I've got stock 20" Goodyear Wrangler Trail Runner LT275/65R20

What are you guys airing up to with this tire?

Thanks for any input.

M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every tire has a 'load vs inflation' pressure table. 

(if you change to a different tire size, it probably has a different recommended pressure for the trucks axle weights.

 

The door sticker will have the pressure for when the truck is loaded and has tire size/load rating it was born with.

 

Empty, the load is probably higher on the fronts than on the rears.

Axle weights from a scale is a good idea.

 

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-65r20-tire-pressure

 

Tire Size 35 psi 40 psi 45 psi 50 psi 55 psi 60 psi 65 psi 70 psi 75 psi 80 psi 95 psi
LT275/65R20
Single Tire
2080 lbs 2280 lbs 2475 lbs 2680 lbs 2850 lbs 3030 lbs 3195 lbs 3375 lbs 3540 lbs 3750 lbs (E) 126  
LT275/65R20
Dual Tires
1895 lbs 2075 lbs 2250 lbs 2470 lbs 2595 lbs 2755 lbs 2910 lbs 3070 lbs 3220 lbs 3415 lbs (E) 123

 

 

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Michael621 said:

Hey all,

I have always followed the tire pressure sticker on the door jamb when airing up, but the stated pressure seems excessive (60 front/70 rear) for cruising around with an empty truck? This is my first 2500HD, so not sure...

I've got stock 20" Goodyear Wrangler Trail Runner LT275/65R20

What are you guys airing up to with this tire?

Thanks for any input.

M

The air pressures are set so that they meet the axle capacities.  For example if the steer axle's GFAWR rating is 3950 pounds, each front tire will have an air pressure to meet or just exceed 1975 pounds.

 

As to whether you can lower this air pressure when not fully loaded, it's very likely but you'll have to be careful/watchful of improper tire wear from then being under-inflated.

Edited by swathdiver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

The air pressures are set so that they meet the axle capacities.  For example if the steer axle's GFAWR rating is 3950 pounds, each front tire will have an air pressure to meet or just exceed 1975 pounds.

 

As to whether you can lower this air pressure when not fully loaded, it's very likely but you'll have to be careful/watchful of improper tire wear from then being under-inflated.

Thank you, (and all) I was wondering if tire wear would be an issue.  I'll just follow the inflation sticker. Not looking for premature tire replacement, that's for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only reason I set mine at 60/70 psi is to keep the light from coming on the dash. I'd like to stay at 50 all around, and just air up when I need to haul something. Any body no how to lower the tpms threshold so we don't have to look at the orange light on the dash. Wonder if the dealer can do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Kjduvall said:

The only reason I set mine at 60/70 psi is to keep the light from coming on the dash. I'd like to stay at 50 all around, and just air up when I need to haul something. Any body no how to lower the tpms threshold so we don't have to look at the orange light on the dash. Wonder if the dealer can do it. 

The dealer is not going to do it but if you have your own MDI2 adapter with GDS software on a laptop you can probably do it yourself.  We do it with our old Tech-2s on the previous generations (Tech-2 doesn't work on yours).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to give you an idea of a ballpark empty axle weight if you haven’t weighed your truck, my empty GMC 3500hd SLT CCLB SRW gas, aux battery single alternator, camper springs, with full tank and 220 lb driver has front axle weight of 4440lbs and rear axle weight of 3340 lbs. i have the stock 18” Michelins and I run 55 psi front and 60 psi rear for general driving around including moderate loads of up to a ton or so. I get no tire messages at those pressures. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

i run em around 53 and just air up when needed.....makes a huge difference in ride quality but yeah i hate seeing the sensor warning on dic all the time......so i guess there is no tuner to change tpms on new trucks, my brother has one for his 2019

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I had said above that I was running the front at 55 and the rear at 60 with no TP warnings, but that wasn’t exactly accurate. My rears actually have been at 63 when cold for the last few weeks, and temps have been dropping slowly here in Seattle. Last night I received a tire pressure warning for the rears, and the indicated pressure was at 62. They both alarmed at the same time while i was driving. So I guess I found out the warning set point for the rear tires on my truck is 62 psi. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Another JR said:

I had said above that I was running the front at 55 and the rear at 60 with no TP warnings, but that wasn’t exactly accurate. My rears actually have been at 63 when cold for the last few weeks, and temps have been dropping slowly here in Seattle. Last night I received a tire pressure warning for the rears, and the indicated pressure was at 62. They both alarmed at the same time while i was driving. So I guess I found out the warning set point for the rear tires on my truck is 62 psi. 

That would indicate the threshold to be approx 10% lower than recommended. More than 10% and you MAY get a warning light. Someone else may have better info than this, but that seems reasonable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2500 here (60/70 on the door).  I have been running 58 front and 55 rear when empty.  No lights.  Tires look great >10k miles.  I air rears up to 70 when towing my travel trailer.  I really don't ever carry a significant load. I do have the 20" wheels and Trailrunner tires.

Edited by Wxman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

That would indicate the threshold to be approx 10% lower than recommended. More than 10% and you MAY get a warning light. Someone else may have better info than this, but that seems reasonable.

Mine’s a 3500 and the recommended rear pressure for maximum load capability is 80 psi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Another JR said:

Mine’s a 3500 and the recommended rear pressure for maximum load capability is 80 psi. 

 

I missed that. Makes a difference in the TPMS warnings.

 

12 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

That would indicate the threshold to be approx 10% lower than recommended. More than 10% and you MAY get a warning light. Someone else may have better info than this, but that seems reasonable.

 

The threshold is roughly around 20% for the TPMS warning, in this instance. Seems about the same from what others have said. Thanks to Another JR for catching my error, thinking he had a 2500 with MAX inflation of 70 psi. I should have looked closer at his sig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

i am at 52-55 psi cold  (depending on the day ) and light is on constantly......it rides better so i just deal with it, sometimes light comes on and sometimes it doesnt @ 55psi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.