Coating felt wheel well liners?? And Norcal Mods

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone spraying bedliner (either the DIY kits or Line-X) over there felt wheel well liners?  I was thinking about doing this to make clean up easier but wanted to see if anyone had done or seen this first.

Also does anyone have a link to a video on Norcal modding the 19-21 Chevy's for larger tires?

Thanks guys

Do you have a local Line-x dealer close? I drive by one a couple of times a month. Always wanted to stop in and ask.

Those things are worse than trying to pressure wash indoor/outdoor carpet! 

1 hour ago, Transient said:

I don't understand the hate for the stock wheel well liners.  I have absolutely no difficulty getting them clean. 

Our gravel roads are clay based. When the gravel gets thrown off to the side and it rains softly for a day or 3, you will have to use 4x4 to drive on them, and still hope you don't ditch it when the road shoulders suck you in. And this is traveling under 10mph.

That damn road base, once dry, is like concrete. Takes forever to get under the mud clods that stick to the felt liners. If it was smooth plastic or steel, clods would just fall off in big chunks.

Also if you live in a state that salts the roads, it's going to absorb into the material and create rust on anything metal it touches as well as cause it to rot and fall apart eventually.

16 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Those of you willing to try AMSOIL's Mudslinger®.  Let me know.   I sprayed it on mine, but since I don't run in the mud, I can't say what effect it has had.

I would be willing to try the Mudslinger. I have a 2016 Sierra 1500 Denali 5.3L

On 11/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, gemarsh said:

Our gravel roads are clay based. When the gravel gets thrown off to the side and it rains softly for a day or 3, you will have to use 4x4 to drive on them, and still hope you don't ditch it when the road shoulders suck you in. And this is traveling under 10mph.

That damn road base, once dry, is like concrete. Takes forever to get under the mud clods that stick to the felt liners. If it was smooth plastic or steel, clods would just fall off in big chunks.

You don't find that kind of mud in Northern California.  Second, I disagree the problem is perpetuated by the felt liners.  I have driven everywhere in this country, and think I know what you're referring to.  Almost sounds like Iowa.  I know the deep south has some nasty mud, too.  However, a good pressure sprayer has never prevented me from cleaning my trucks.  And, many plastic liners are not silky smooth to prevent the mud from sticking.  Some are textured to provide ridgidity.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, GETGONE said:

Also if you live in a state that salts the roads, it's going to absorb into the material and create rust on anything metal it touches as well as cause it to rot and fall apart eventually.

I've found this to be caused by fender flares, not wheel well liners.  Wheel well liners, imo, reduce the number of places that get impacted by salt flinging off the tires and chipping away at paint, such as the underside of the truck bed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Always had plastic liners in my other vehicles, this is a first for felt liner. I wonder if there is a benefit or cost saving that GM used felt but I have no issue cleaning them with a pressure washer at the car wash.

10 hours ago, RedLT said:

Always had plastic liners in my other vehicles, this is a first for felt liner. I wonder if there is a benefit or cost saving that GM used felt but I have no issue cleaning them with a pressure washer at the car wash.

I speculate the reason why GM uses felt in lieu of plastic is due to noise and/or freezing temperatures.  I really don't know why they chose felt.  What I do know is plastic can be more prone to cracking in freezing temps, and more noisy when rocks/pebbles are kicked up and hit the liners.  Just a thought.  As I said, I really don't know why. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, Black02Silverado said:

Those of you willing to try AMSOIL's Mudslinger®.  Let me know.   I sprayed it on mine, but since I don't run in the mud, I can't say what effect it has had.

After reading the information I'm Not sure if this product would work on a felt surface.  Looks to be aimed toward a hard smooth type surface.