New AT4 with 6.2 or keep my HD 2500 Duramax?

So I already have a deposit down on a new Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 6.2.  I currently drive a 2018 Sierra Denali HD 2500 with the Duramax.  I love this truck but it just seems to be a lot for a daily driver.  My commute is pretty short but I do have to find parking spaces.  As you might know or guess, it is a big truck with a not so great turning radius.  I have a need to pull stuff like my boat, which is 5,600 lbs plus the trailer and gear.  So I am guessing this is close to 7,000 lbs.  To be fair, I don’t take it very far at all, and only twice a year I have to tow it about 2 hours.  So my 2500 is overkill for anything that I need it for but I do sure like it because I don’t have to worry about worrying if something is too much to pull.  Just hook up and go.  Plus I do like the sound of the diesel.  With all that said, I was looking for a better daily driver but also be able to pull my boat without any issues, but also have an aggressive looking truck.  The AT4 should be in after the first week of December.  I am now 2nd guessing my decision and wondering if I should just use my 2500 Duramax as my daily driver.  Any insight or opinions are welcome.  I have changed my mind back and forth like 4 or 5 times.  I am frustrated with myself!  

No, the 2500 is the 6 1/2 foot bed. The AT4 is the short bed.  I know the AT4 will drive better and certainly should feel a little better/easier around town.  The perk is a new truck for an extra $10k and an easier daily driver with some extra goodies on it.  But I do like my Duramax.  Just don’t know if I will keep thinking about the AT4 if I try and back out of the deal.

Go with the AT4, you won't regret.  I have had 2 diesels in the past. A LLY and a LBZ. Don't get me wrong it's awesome to be crusing down the highway at 65 and just rolling into the throttle and not having it downshift.  The huge amount of tq is nice. I now have a 21 Trail boss with the 6.2 and 10 speed, and I must say the combo is nothing short of amazing! It is stupid fast for a big 4×4 truck and still gets great gas mileage.  That AT4 will easily handle what you plan on throwing at it and you will definitely appreciate the ride and driveability of it everyday.  If you haven't driven a 6.2 with the 10 speed you really should, I think that will help with your decision. 

Edited by Firehawk99
  • Like 1

If you decide you want a 1500 crew with the standard bed (6.5 or 6.8 or whatever bed length they are now) instead of the tiny bed, the truck will be longer than your current 18 2500 crew/standard. 

The job you describe sounds like it would be suitable for a 1500, although I'm not sure you need a lifted one to do that. 

Edited by redwngr

3 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

Go with the AT4, you won't regret.  I have had 2 diesels in the past. A LLY and a LBZ. Don't get me wrong it's awesome to be crusing down the highway at 65 and just rolling into the throttle and not having it downshift.  The huge amount of tq is nice. I now have a 21 Trail boss with the 6.2 and 10 speed, and I must say the combo is nothing short of amazing! It is stupid fast for a big 4×4 truck and still gets great gas mileage.  That AT4 will easily handle what you plan on throwing at it and you will definitely appreciate the ride and driveability of it everyday.  If you haven't driven a 6.2 with the 10 speed you really should, I think that will help with your decision. 

Well I have driven one as I almost traded for one and I wanted to think about it over lunch and it sold!  I do love my diesel but I really feel that if I take ownership of the AT4 I will really appreciate driving it daily.  I also like the small lift because it kind of reminds me of my current ride. I think the waiting is just getting to me.  Like I keep driving my truck and think why I am getting a new truck?

Any issues with towing my boat?  I assume know but would love to hear opinions.  Boat is 5,600 dry weight.  I am guessing when trailer and gear and good 7,000 plus.  Mostly very short tows, but the ramp is steep.  I sometimes park it in driveway and it is steep.  Any issues getting pushed by the boat going down or coming back up the steep grade? This was the main reason I went looking for a 2500 when I got it.  

57 minutes ago, Chickenhawk7 said:

Any issues with towing my boat?  I assume know but would love to hear opinions.  Boat is 5,600 dry weight.  I am guessing when trailer and gear and good 7,000 plus.  Mostly very short tows, but the ramp is steep.  I sometimes park it in driveway and it is steep.  Any issues getting pushed by the boat going down or coming back up the steep grade? This was the main reason I went looking for a 2500 when I got it.  

No issues at all I would think.  I tow a 10'x20' box trailer that is around 5Klbs.  No issues with my 2019 with 6.2L

Buddy launches and retrieves his Tiara 2900 with a Ram 1500. Weight is ~11,000 plus the triple axle trailer, fuel, and gear.

4 low can be the great equalizer if needed at the ramp. But these half tons are ridiculously capable and 7000 is not going to be any issue for the 6.2.

5 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Buddy launches and retrieves his Tiara 2900 with a Ram 1500. Weight is ~11,000 plus the triple axle trailer, fuel, and gear.

4 low can be the great equalizer if needed at the ramp. But these half tons are ridiculously capable and 7000 is not going to be any issue for the 6.2.

thanks for the reply.  I think this was the only thing that continued to be on my mind.  I figured it wouldn't be an issue but I guess I just wasn't sure.  I think if i had long drives and several of them during the year, I would no doubt be keeping my 2500.  I just don't think I need it and for 95% of what I use my vehicle for, I would be happier in a 1500.

18 hours ago, waterman said:

I am getting 16 mpg, 2021 at4 6.2 l.

I think my gas mileage in the 6.2 or my current Duramax is going to be similar.  Gas prices are a factor for sure but I don’t think gas efficiency is going to matter to much.

And today I feel like leaning to keep my Duramax!  I honestly am not sure what I want to do.  One day it is get the new 1500, and the next day I am all for keeping my 2500.  Hell I don’t know!

I just went through  this.  Will try to keep it short.   Bought a new 2021 Silverado 2500HD Carhartt Editon LTZ in January.

Has just about every bell and whistle and diesel to boot.  Thing is a monster.  Was looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel sometime next year.   Have a TT travel trailer that is 5400 dry.   So lets say about 6000 with everything including 2/3 full clean water tank.   I did have a 2020 Silverado TB LT with the 5.3 and 10 speed.   Did not like the way it pulled my trailer, hence, got  the 2500HD.  But just purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4.  

Prices went crazy on the 5th wheels.   Plus decided I want to retire sooner mainly due to my company is a gov. contractor so we were forced to get the jab.  I have 9 months till I can retire so was not feasable to quit my job.

I will pull about 10 times a year.  No more than 2 hrs away at the most.  Won't be spending more than 3 or 4 days max camping at a time.  Wife can't retire for another 8 years.  Do the pros and cons.   

It was nice to be able to pull just about anything I want.   

Was nice to get alot of compliments on the pickup.

Turned alot of heads.

I was a real cool dude driving around in a big ass diesel pickup.  Had Fuel Blitz wheels and bigger tires.  

Has the surround cameras which were great when parking or pulling the trailer.

Its black.   It was a real pain to keep even half way clean.   We live in a rural area.  

However, realized  some things.

Took an acre to turn around.

Nearly got stuck in a few places cause it was almost too big to fit.

Had a big payment that would keep me from being able to get it paid off sooner rather than later, I will be able to pay off this half ton off in about 2 1/2  years vs 5

Half ton rides much better, and I steering is waaaaaaaay better.  (which I already knew the HD  rode rough and steering sucked.   Pulled to the right 90% of the time even after re-alignment.)

I got the 6.2 with max tow package so have that little extra for towing.  Was hard to find a pickup with this package.  

Insurance is a hair cheaper.

Easier to get in and out for me and the wife, plus in and out of the bed to get the kayaks in the rack.

Fits under my carport and in garage while the HD didn't.  Too long.

And its not black.   

The realist in me won over.  No regrets.   If I was doing more pulling or had a true need for the HD I would have kept it but this half tone will do everything I need it to do plus some.   

pics below of  former ride and my current ride.

OP. you do what best feels right.  What works best for you and your future.

Best of luck, keep us informed.  

carhart l (2).jpg

gmc sierra.jpg

Edited by fly53usmc

3 hours ago, fly53usmc said:

I just went through  this.  Will try to keep it short.   Bought a new 2021 Silverado 2500HD Carhartt Editon LTZ in January.

Has just about every bell and whistle and diesel to boot.  Thing is a monster.  Was looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel sometime next year.   Have a TT travel trailer that is 5400 dry.   So lets say about 6000 with everything including 2/3 full clean water tank.   I did have a 2020 Silverado TB LT with the 5.3 and 10 speed.   Did not like the way it pulled my trailer, hence, got  the 2500HD.  But just purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4.  

Prices went crazy on the 5th wheels.   Plus decided I want to retire sooner mainly due to my company is a gov. contractor so we were forced to get the jab.  I have 9 months till I can retire so was not feasable to quit my job.

I will pull about 10 times a year.  No more than 2 hrs away at the most.  Won't be spending more than 3 or 4 days max camping at a time.  Wife can't retire for another 8 years.  Do the pros and cons.   

It was nice to be able to pull just about anything I want.   

Was nice to get alot of compliments on the pickup.

Turned alot of heads.

I was a real cool dude driving around in a big ass diesel pickup.  Had Fuel Blitz wheels and bigger tires.  

Has the surround cameras which were great when parking or pulling the trailer.

Its black.   It was a real pain to keep even half way clean.   We live in a rural area.  

However, realized  some things.

Took an acre to turn around.

Nearly got stuck in a few places cause it was almost too big to fit.

Had a big payment that would keep me from being able to get it paid off sooner rather than later, I will be able to pay off this half ton off in about 2 1/2  years vs 5

Half ton rides much better, and I steering is waaaaaaaay better.  (which I already knew the HD  rode rough and steering sucked.   Pulled to the right 90% of the time even after re-alignment.)

I got the 6.2 with max tow package so have that little extra for towing.  Was hard to find a pickup with this package.  

Insurance is a hair cheaper.

Easier to get in and out for me and the wife, plus in and out of the bed to get the kayaks in the rack.

Fits under my carport and in garage while the HD didn't.  Too long.

And its not black.   

The realist in me won over.  No regrets.   If I was doing more pulling or had a true need for the HD I would have kept it but this half tone will do everything I need it to do plus some.   

pics below of  former ride and my current ride.

OP. you do what best feels right.  What works best for you and your future.

Best of luck, keep us informed.  

carhart l (2).jpg

gmc sierra.jpg

Well I am actually thinking now to just move to the 1500.  I am pretty sure it will do everything I need it to do.  I know I will enjoy the daily driver ride being better.  I am sure I will miss some of the badass diesel and big ass truck stuff I like about my 2500.  I think I can get over it.  If all fails, I can eat it and go get a newer 2500 diesel again.  I think tonight…..I am deciding to go ahead and purchase the new 1500 AT4.  Hopefully it will be here after the 1st week of December as scheduled.