Removing rear axle on 2005 1500 GMC

Pretty straight forward really.

Remove the wheels, then the drums. Unbolt the cover plate on the rear axle, remove the single bolt holding in the pin on the diff, slide the pin out. Push an axle in and remove the c-clip and slide the shaft out. Repeat for the other side.

No tricks, the tips as far as I know them:

First, get a Haynes Book for your truck, they are based on an actual tear down they claim. You can pay for the web based manual, the pictures are bigger and more of them but you get 3 years (I think ) for X money, when you buy the book it's yours forever. I did both and thought it was worth it.

Check you RPO (in the glove box) tag for the open or limited slip differential, some times you'll need a different gear lube. I recommend the synthetic, it's more slick than the organic lube.

Purchase, buy, or rent the proper tools and the recommended products.

Since your removing the axles it wouldn't hurt to inspect the everything In Accordance With (IAW) the criteria given in the manual. ANY deviation that you find needs to addressed. You got outer bearing and seals and you may have an inner bearing I can't remember. If you have to replace the bearings replace the seals, don't try to reuse them. You can prolly rent the tools at your store.

It's very important to follow the tech data to the letter, that way your chances of trouble later on are MUCH lower. I purchased a wonderful bearing and seal driver tool kit on Amazon for under $30.00. It came with a blown plastic case, it's nice!

Sockets can be used  but most guys don't have sockets big enough for the bearings and seals.

Use a gasket on the diff. cover, and use the recommended sealant (spooge) on both sides of the gasket.

Have fun,take your time, use a torque wrench.

Edited by dna9656

cam got it, no need to lnvest in the book. to remove the seal hook the end of the axle where the c clip goes on it and it will pop right out, for the bearing they make a puller that fits on a slide hammer that worx great. or you can just use a hook on a slide hammer. invest in a seal/bearing driver to install or use the tool loan at the auto parts

check where the axle rides on the bearing for wear, any wear will cause the seal to leak. you should probably disassemble the brakes if you had a leak to clean all the grease, if they are bonded and not riveted shoes replace them cuz the oil and degreaser may affect the bond