Anybody see this yet?

13 hours ago, Desrunner said:

That sounds right to me but does that mean different lifters as well? I have an L82 without AFM (-$50 credit). Having all 8 all the time… priceless.

Your motor still has the same lifters though but not the technology to trigger them on and off.  I have no idea how the AFM motor is built in regards to if all of the lifters are identical or not.

43 minutes ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

So, how about us 2019 and 2020 guys with the L84?

Wait until the engine grenades? What's the estimated failure rate on the L84's anyhow?

Your truck was most likely built outside of the supplier issue window so I imagine it would not be included in the updated bulletins. The AFM/DFM lifters seem to fail somewhere in the 60,000 to 100,000 mile range (right after the warranty runs out, of course) with normal wear and tear, based on what I've read scrolling through forums and reviews, but I will let someone who works at a GM dealership service department confirm or deny this based on their findings.

For that reason, I really don't foresee us owning the truck out of warranty. You could also look at it this way: If you have an extended warranty, that there's a chance you may get a whole new valvetrain or engine between 60,000 and 100,000 miles if you can deal with the inconvenience of potentially having to have the truck towed in when it happens (though it may still be drivable temporarily with a failed lifter or two).

• Like 1

Does anyone know if L84 and L87 trucks without the DFM software will get the new  lifters?  Does GM think the lifters could fail even though they are never deactivated? If GM only replaces undelivered models with active DFM, it would seem that those of us who bought a 2021 with DFM should install the Range or equivalent. IF they replace all of the L84 and L87 lifters, regardless if the DFM is active or not, I would think that the Range would not prevent lifter failure. I have a Range, but if it will not prevent lifter failure, I would just as soon not use it and get better mileage.