In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Can you purchase an extended warranty from GM after buying?

I have a 2020 1500 Duramax and have had a fair amount of problems with it since I bought it. I had the windows leak, a coolant valve replacement, and now I have a P049E code (EGR valve?...this code is barely mentioned on the internet) that started today. I have to wait 3 weeks - 3 months to get service in my area. I didn't purchase an extended warranty when I bought and now I wish I had. Can I buy one from GM? If not, what are the good 3rd party companies? It's a 2020 model with ~17000 miles on it and under warranty at the moment. 

I have never ever in 30+ yrs gotten anything from GM encouraging me to buy an extended warranty.  That's more of a dealer offering and not all dealers offer the GM backed warranty.  Several dealers around here have another brand called Zurich?  They basically sell what makes them the most money...

8 hours ago, elcamino said:

I have never ever in 30+ yrs gotten anything from GM encouraging me to buy an extended warranty.  That's more of a dealer offering and not all dealers offer the GM backed warranty.  Several dealers around here have another brand called Zurich?  They basically sell what makes them the most money...

Zurich is the go to for GM/Chevy. I had it on my 2017 Silverado. Which was junk. When I traded the Silverado for the Sierra, I got most of my money back from Zurich. 

14 hours ago, redvettez06 said:

I have a 2020 1500 Duramax and have had a fair amount of problems with it since I bought it. I had the windows leak, a coolant valve replacement, and now I have a P049E code (EGR valve?...this code is barely mentioned on the internet) that started today. I have to wait 3 weeks - 3 months to get service in my area. I didn't purchase an extended warranty when I bought and now I wish I had. Can I buy one from GM? If not, what are the good 3rd party companies? It's a 2020 model with ~17000 miles on it and under warranty at the moment. 

Google GM extended warranty. The GM plan will pop up. It has all the info on all the warranty plans, service plans etc. You can even find the cost.

You can purchase a GM extended warranty anytime before the 3 yrs / 36,000 miles basic warranty expires, I am told by a local GMC dealer finance manager.  He recommended not waiting until last moment to avoid missing a date due to paperwork snafu's. Also he said, every fall the prices are adjusted upward. Whatever you buy starts on the date its effective, it is not added on the end of the GM new car warranty's.  If you have 1 yrs left on the basic and you buy a 3 yr warranty, you only have +3 yrs, not 4.

Edited by elcamino

Only get the GMEPP warranty which is the only one backed and sold by GM.  Others you may or may not get full reimbursement, etc.  Plus, your dealer should have this in their system so any claims are seamless.  Google "James Black GM extended warranty" and you'll see it is the go to on various forums and on FB forums.

James Black Cadillac of Ebensburg PA | GM Extended (gmoutlet.com)

2 hours ago, cltsig said:

Only get the GMEPP warranty which is the only one backed and sold by GM.  Others you may or may not get full reimbursement, etc.  Plus, your dealer should have this in their system so any claims are seamless.  Google "James Black GM extended warranty" and you'll see it is the go to on various forums and on FB forums.

James Black Cadillac of Ebensburg PA | GM Extended (gmoutlet.com)

+1

I never purchased with James Black, but I did price with them and they were initially much cheaper than my purchasing dealer.  I took the price to the local dealer and they matched.  But I've never read anything but positives on James Black.  I would suggest sticking with the GM Warranty.  Too many third companies are known for their shady buisiness practices.  You can buy as long as your vehicle is under the original 3/36 warranty, but I believe it is less expensive if you buy at lower mileages.

I agree with CITSIG on the GMEPP warranty only. There are lots of discussion on the Corvette forum and Tahoe forum about the GM warranty and several Dealers that sell at a discounted price. Get the best price from one of those Dealers and see if your Dealer will match the price or just purchase from the Dealer with the best price. State of Florida and North Carolina set their own prices on warranties and they will not discount. Too many electronics on these new vehicles to not have a warranty.