Please help! …. What is this tap/knock noise?!

For sure not a misfire, the engine is running smooth as silk.

Something is being whacked around or at least sounds that way. I was going to suggest removing the serp belt to see if something on that would be the cause but it seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine or between the engine and transmission. I mean you could still remove the belt and start it up, it can run off the battery and have no water pump flow for a tiny bit. It would at least let you know if the noise was still there.

My other thoughts are to remove the little inspection cover on the bell housing of the transmission to make sure nothing is bouncing around inside of there. Like a flex plate bolt. Also just being under the truck will really let you help track down where the noise is coming from.

5 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Something is being whacked around or at least sounds that way. I was going to suggest removing the serp belt to see if something on that would be the cause but it seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine or between the engine and transmission. I mean you could still remove the belt and start it up, it can run off the battery and have no water pump flow for a tiny bit. It would at least let you know if the noise was still there.

My other thoughts are to remove the little inspection cover on the bell housing of the transmission to make sure nothing is bouncing around inside of there. Like a flex plate bolt. Also just being under the truck will really let you help track down where the noise is coming from.

If there are no OBD2 does, then we can rule out a misfire.

Bell housing inspection is an idea. Could be a Christmas tree ornament hanging from the radiator, being whipped up by the cooling fan.

12 hours ago, CamGTP said:

You might be onto something- when I was under the other day I saw the inspection plug missing from the housing. And also the side plastic coverings on the sides of transmission were loose. 

So maybe transmission work was done and there is a bolt in there tapping or knocking around…. Idk 

Next time I hear it I’m going under and seeing what I can see with it running still. 

Vaccum pump and something with belt or pulley could also still be an issue. But only once it warms up. I do have a rather stiff break peddle too now that you mention it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Or so I thought ... :( :( 

Noise came back! That hellacious hammering, knocking, noise.  It did go away with new thermostat, but after a day it returned.  The good thing is, the knocking after the engine is shut off is gone.  So maybe it did need a new thermostat, but that didnt rid my problem entirely. 

You can feel the surging going on and out of the block in the lines that go to the heater core.  You can also see the surging on the bottom and top radiator hoses.  Water pump is new.  

Is there a special bleed procedure?  Will a bad surge tank cause the surge/knock Im experiencing?  Maybe air getting into the lines?  Oil looks OK so I dont suspect head gasket.