2020 Duramax part “back order “ dilemma

So on December 2, I had driven my 2020 2500 duramax ltz to Walmart. Upon getting back in, I went to start truck, push button and truck just cranks but never fires. Try a few more times, same thing. Let it sit for 10 minutes (per other forum post) and it fires finally, but has check engine light.

Drive it straight to dealer to get code read, truck never starts again. This is Friday, so finally Monday 12/5 am told its a fuel pump control module and some other part, they’re ordered and waiting. A month later still sitting at dealer waiting on fuel pump control module. Apparently its on “national back order” and there are none to be found. The issue is they have absolutely no idea or eta when they might actually ever get one…?! Meanwhile somehow they’re still producing new 2500s. 

Do I have any options or recourse? Yes they have me in a loaner, a 1500. But I purchased a 2500 duramax because I need a 2500 duramax. I contacted Chevy and they’re response is “we will contact the dealer”. The dealer says they’re contacting Chevy…🤷‍♂️ Any insight or direction would definitely be appreciated.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:01 PM, burnerET said:

So on December 2, I had driven my 2020 2500 duramax ltz to Walmart. Upon getting back in, I went to start truck, push button and truck just cranks but never fires. Try a few more times, same thing. Let it sit for 10 minutes (per other forum post) and it fires finally, but has check engine light.

Drive it straight to dealer to get code read, truck never starts again. This is Friday, so finally Monday 12/5 am told its a fuel pump control module and some other part, they’re ordered and waiting. A month later still sitting at dealer waiting on fuel pump control module. Apparently its on “national back order” and there are none to be found. The issue is they have absolutely no idea or eta when they might actually ever get one…?! Meanwhile somehow they’re still producing new 2500s. 

Do I have any options or recourse? Yes they have me in a loaner, a 1500. But I purchased a 2500 duramax because I need a 2500 duramax. I contacted Chevy and they’re response is “we will contact the dealer”. The dealer says they’re contacting Chevy…🤷‍♂️ Any insight or direction would definitely be appreciated.

My direction would be to wait for the part, not sure you have any other options.  This happened to me last year, my truck needed an updated DEF tank that was on back order.  It ended up taking 8 days but like you, they had me in a 1500 loaner.    It sucks but happens.

14 hours ago, CRApex said:

My direction would be to wait for the part, not sure you have any other options.  This happened to me last year, my truck needed an updated DEF tank that was on back order.  It ended up taking 8 days but like you, they had me in a 1500 loaner.    It sucks but happens.

8 days is doable…but im apprpaching 5 weeks now of owning a truck that doesn’t run and just sits at a chevy dealership. But as of today per Chevy and the dealer, they have absolutely no idea when the part will even become available again.

• 2 months later...

GM does not feel your pain. As you noted, they are still producing new trucks to sell with the parts needed to resolve the "National Back Order". Obviously future profits are far more important than servicing the customer base that made the continued production possible. My 2500HD Duramax needs the DEF tank replacement and of course it's on "National Back Order". Latest news is GM claims the parts "may be " available in May. That's months for many

"(over two thousand" I was told)

of Duramax owners.  GM has nothing to offer me except a vague possible reimbursement of rental costs, dealer cannot provide a loaner. Bottom line, never buy a GM product again. I know the Fanboys here will find a way to excuse GM and probably attack my and others like opinions. Regardless, fact are facts, and this is the reality of going forward, customer service is nonexistent. 

2 hours ago, DJMHOYT said:

GM does not feel your pain. As you noted, they are still producing new trucks to sell with the parts needed to resolve the "National Back Order". Obviously future profits are far more important than servicing the customer base that made the continued production possible. My 2500HD Duramax needs the DEF tank replacement and of course it's on "National Back Order". Latest news is GM claims the parts "may be " available in May. That's months for many

"(over two thousand" I was told)

of Duramax owners.  GM has nothing to offer me except a vague possible reimbursement of rental costs, dealer cannot provide a loaner. Bottom line, never buy a GM product again. I know the Fanboys here will find a way to excuse GM and probably attack my and others like opinions. Regardless, fact are facts, and this is the reality of going forward, customer service is nonexistent. 

I totally agree with your statement that customer service is nonexistent. The sad truth is it's not just the auto industry its everywhere. No matter what you buy or where you buy it, quality and customer service are going forever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So i just got added to the list of long awaiting Def Tank/ Pump back orders, i just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and GM's response is " we can give you 100$ off a service" My service guy says hes expecting this to turn into a Class action Lawsuit, just wondering if anyone has contacted a Lawyer to find out if  this would be the right approach for this. My service guys said hes had truck waiting since January for these parts and there is no date for incoming parts but they have changed suppliers and it could possibly speed things up.

Its affecting all of them.  Fiend has a 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 and you cannot get oil filters for them.  If you can find one (rare) they are selling for several hundred $$, normal is $37.      His friend works for the local Furd dealer and this is what Furd says;  "Obsolescence pending searching for vendor improvements".   Said that's code for vendor cannot get parts to make filter, has a special inner steel core to prevent collapse.  No after-market filters available, patent lock. 

Edited by elcamino

• 2 weeks later...

Any resolution?  I dont see what you can do or what GM is going to do.  Typically parts are made for production and and for repairs two seperate things.  and from GMs point would they rather sell a 70k truck or a few hundred dollar part.

Wont make you happy or is fun, but this is everywhere right now.

22 hours ago, nards444 said:

Any resolution?  I dont see what you can do or what GM is going to do.  Typically parts are made for production and and for repairs two seperate things.  and from GMs point would they rather sell a 70k truck or a few hundred dollar part.

Wont make you happy or is fun, but this is everywhere right now.

Legally GM has to provide every part for a vehicle for 10 years.