Any after stories with failed lifters?

1 hour ago, voided3 said:

That is the better approach, for sure. Our dealer thanked me for not going off on them over the combined 51 days our truck spent there (as much as I was slowly dying on the inside), but A) the service department didn't design and build the truck so it's not their fault the lifters were made out of tin foil and B) in our case, they also had to wait on on a GM engineer to come to the dealer and give the final diagnosis and authorize the repair.

I had to get three Hertz rental cars and one dealership loaner in the first few months of ownership. The dealer initiated a P.O. for each rental car for me. I'm sure they didn't like having to pay for a rental car for weeks, but they did it anyway and I only had to put gas in them (I wasn't required to put gas in the dealer loaner). They absolutely should reimburse you, but it makes things more complicated since they didn't arrange the rental on your behalf (not that it's your fault at all).

I also totally agree that the service department staffing should take priority over sales. The service department gets way more foot traffic for both new and used vehicles wether they were purchased there or not and the experience there is what retains customers. I expect an awful sales experience, but It only happens once per car thankfully. I'm at the dealer several times a year for service (especially with this truck....) so I really only care about the quality of the service department.

Really appreciate your supportive reply.  I just spoke with the dealership and they

will be reimbursing me for the rental and said my truck should be ready late Monday.  I’m not going to get my hopes up for anything….not to be negative, just so I may be pleasantly surprised.  
After my rear window leak issue, this is major problem #2 and I have yet to reach 14k miles.  I don’t want to say “3 strikes and you’re out”, but I feel like I might.  We’ll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SigPig94 said:

One new bank of lifters “should be in this morning” and will be installed….they apparently need two days to complete.  I inquired about how to file for rental reimbursement, so I’ll see where that goes when/if someone gets back to me.  As I stated in my earlier post, I am willing to accept delays because of Covid, short-staffing, etc…..I am trying to NOT raise hell because I know these are crazy times and i feel the calm approach will get me my truck back faster than yelling at someone (as much as I’d like to)…..although if I am to believe all the reports that dealerships have no inventory, shouldn’t the Sales department be operating with a skeleton staff and NOT Service?!  Whatever…..the dance continues…….

That's been my issue. They keep selling trucks/cars etc using parts that they know they need for service vehicles. I get the covid issues that some can't control, but GM can control the supply of parts. Building and selling trucks if you have trucks in the shop waiting on parts, IMO, is not it. Sorry, this is more of a hot topic issue for me due to my issues with my dealer. 

57 minutes ago, 1454 said:

That's been my issue. They keep selling trucks/cars etc using parts that they know they need for service vehicles. I get the covid issues that some can't control, but GM can control the supply of parts. Building and selling trucks if you have trucks in the shop waiting on parts, IMO, is not it. Sorry, this is more of a hot topic issue for me due to my issues with my dealer. 

I’m with ya….and no need to apologize….sorry for what you’ve had to go through.  My rear window has been fine🤞since it’s repair (replacement) so I hope I’ll be able to say the same thing about my latest issue….again, we’ll see.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:49 AM, SigPig94 said:

One new bank of lifters “should be in this morning” and will be installed….they apparently need two days to complete.  I inquired about how to file for rental reimbursement, so I’ll see where that goes when/if someone gets back to me.  As I stated in my earlier post, I am willing to accept delays because of Covid, short-staffing, etc…..I am trying to NOT raise hell because I know these are crazy times and i feel the calm approach will get me my truck back faster than yelling at someone (as much as I’d like to)…..although if I am to believe all the reports that dealerships have no inventory, shouldn’t the Sales department be operating with a skeleton staff and NOT Service?!  Whatever…..the dance continues…….

Good to see that you might not have to wait long.  Are they replacing one bank or both?  I was told they need 2 days to test the truck after the repair.

12 hours ago, SilverMak said:

Good to see that you might not have to wait long.  Are they replacing one bank or both?  I was told they need 2 days to test the truck after the repair.

One bank.  🤞

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:06 AM, SigPig94 said:

One bank.  🤞

So now MORE lifters may have to be replaced in addition to the initial “one bank”.  As usual, I had to call Service for updates as they refuse to keep their “promise” to call me…..I WILL NOT piss and moan but I WILL be an update-requesting pest.  I’m waiting for my daily update that I will certainly have to initiate again, but I am less than optimistic I will receive any credible details.  Negativity is starting to ooze in to my attitude….I wish dealerships had inventory as I’d certainly be perusing new truck options.

2 hours ago, SigPig94 said:

So now MORE lifters may have to be replaced in addition to the initial “one bank”.  As usual, I had to call Service for updates as they refuse to keep their “promise” to call me…..I WILL NOT piss and moan but I WILL be an update-requesting pest.  I’m waiting for my daily update that I will certainly have to initiate again, but I am less than optimistic I will receive any credible details.  Negativity is starting to ooze in to my attitude….I wish dealerships had inventory as I’d certainly be perusing new truck options.

It honestly would be an ideal situation if they replace all 16 at once and just get it over with, even if you have to wait another week or two. I'd also request (or Google) the contact info for the general manager of the dealership so they are aware of the situation if you aren't getting answers from the service manager.

With the inventory situation and general lack of quality control, from my point of view for the whole light truck market right now, I genuinely hate that we need a truck to tow our camper and I wish there was something better to replace it. The reality is, they all have their problems right out of the gate, so pick your poison.

My main issue is if I needed a loaner for a sedan or small SUV when it's in the shop, pretty much anything can fill the need while it's being repaired and I can go on with my life. WHEN (not if) my truck needs to be in the shop for more than a day, there's no way they are going to give me a loaner with a brake controller and an adequate payload/tow rating to fill the need, I'm just SOL. I had a '18 Impala with 50k miles and bald tires as one of my four rental cars in the middle of winter.

Just spoke with Service…..of course I had to call them and did so 45 minutes before they close.  Was told one bank of lifters was replaced and I can pick the truck up tomorrow morning.  Lots of thoughts going through my head but I’m just gonna pick the thing up and wait until the next issue……pessimistic, I know.  We’ll see what the future holds.  For now I have to live with myself knowing I traded-in an Audi Q7 for this thing.  F**k me.

2 hours ago, SigPig94 said:

Just spoke with Service…..of course I had to call them and did so 45 minutes before they close.  Was told one bank of lifters was replaced and I can pick the truck up tomorrow morning.  Lots of thoughts going through my head but I’m just gonna pick the thing up and wait until the next issue……pessimistic, I know.  We’ll see what the future holds.  For now I have to live with myself knowing I traded-in an Audi Q7 for this thing.  F**k me.

Ask if they replaced the serpentine belt when you pick it up. Our "final" lifter repair was at about 1800 miles and the serpentine belt started to squeak and wear prematurely at 6300 miles. It's a stretch fit belt and is supposed to be one time use only and they re-used it. They ended up replacing ours as well as the idler pulley and A/C belt. Would have been nice if they had just done it when they put it back together.

9 hours ago, SigPig94 said:

Your dealer experience was much worse than mine. I did get the feeling I was annoying them a couple of times. Did the service department say you needed additional lifters replaced before the repair was finished? You mentioned one bank previously. Voided3 is correct that you’d be better off having all 16 replaced now assuming they’re being replaced with a non defective part. Lots of other good advice from voided3. 

Great advice here and I appreciate it.  Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I am going to ask what else, if anything, got replaced and make sure I keep my notes (calls, conversations, receipts) on the issue.  I’m going to get the truck now…we’ll see what the future holds. 

Picked up my truck and drove it home without any issues.  One bank of lifters was replaced.

1) I asked if anything else was removed/replaced/repaired/etc and I was told “No”…..I specifically referred to the serpentine belt and other belts and the Service manager said none of those have to be removed to make my necessary lifter repairs.

2) I expressed concern over what to expect from the bank of lifters that was NOT replaced and I was told that no vehicles have come back to them with issues in the last 1&1/2 years…..but (and this is the good part) people that have had similar issues have contacted GM to inquire about warranty extension and maybe it would be a good idea for me to do the same…..needless to say, that didn’t leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling in my tummy.  I did appreciate the information and recommendation and will most likely do just that.  Has anyone here done this and would/could you offer any suggestions or advice before I make a call to GM?  Maybe I can expedite my approach if someone shares their experience inquiring about warranty extension due to major engine issues.  Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, SigPig94 said:

Picked up my truck and drove it home without any issues.  One bank of lifters was replaced.

1) I asked if anything else was removed/replaced/repaired/etc and I was told “No”…..I specifically referred to the serpentine belt and other belts and the Service manager said none of those have to be removed to make my necessary lifter repairs.

2) I expressed concern over what to expect from the bank of lifters that was NOT replaced and I was told that no vehicles have come back to them with issues in the last 1&1/2 years…..but (and this is the good part) people that have had similar issues have contacted GM to inquire about warranty extension and maybe it would be a good idea for me to do the same…..needless to say, that didn’t leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling in my tummy.  I did appreciate the information and recommendation and will most likely do just that.  Has anyone here done this and would/could you offer any suggestions or advice before I make a call to GM?  Maybe I can expedite my approach if someone shares their experience inquiring about warranty extension due to major engine issues.  Thanks to all.

If they replaced the driver's side bank and only the lifters (no pushrods), then yes, they would not have to remove the belt. Our failed lifters were on the passenger side so I believe they had to remove the alternator (on the first repair attempt, they replaced the cylinder #8 pushrods even though they ended up not being bent so I'm guessing that's when the belt was removed to pull the cylinder head; the lifters should just require the valve covers to be removed I think).

As for the warranty, I had the service manager work with GM on our behalf to get us an extended component coverage letter for the engine, which is different from an extended powertrain warranty as it only applies to the engine and related components. For that reason, I don't have experience working directly with GM myself to get this, but I know it's possible as we have one. In our case, it was multiple repair attempts so that may explain why the dealer did it for us out of sympathy.

1 hour ago, voided3 said:

If they replaced the driver's side bank and only the lifters (no pushrods), then yes, they would not have to remove the belt. Our failed lifters were on the passenger side so I believe they had to remove the alternator (on the first repair attempt, they replaced the cylinder #8 pushrods even though they ended up not being bent so I'm guessing that's when the belt was removed to pull the cylinder head; the lifters should just require the valve covers to be removed I think).

As for the warranty, I had the service manager work with GM on our behalf to get us an extended component coverage letter for the engine, which is different from an extended powertrain warranty as it only applies to the engine and related components. For that reason, I don't have experience working directly with GM myself to get this, but I know it's possible as we have one. In our case, it was multiple repair attempts so that may explain why the dealer did it for us out of sympathy.

Thanks SO much for sharing your personal experiences…..I really appreciate the information you’ve provided here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

And here we go again.

Good morning all….hope everyone is doing well.  I once again had my truck towed to my dealership (on MON) with similar symptoms that led to one bank of lifters being replaced and numerous posts here.  I was just informed TODAY that the other bank now needs replacement.  After my first issue, I was told by the service manager that he has only seen a vehicle come back for a second bank replacement “1 or 2 times”….so boy do I feel SPECIAL 😐.

Looks like the best case scenario is “a week or week and a half”……I have just about given up believing in any best case scenarios.  Now I just have to battle to get a loaner or a rental and hope for the best apparently.  Several other similar vehicles are currently in this dealer’s shop for lifter replacements or total engine replacements, which will probably be the next shoe to drop for me.  Really disappointed…..I’ll be looking at Tundras and Titans when inventories increase.  No way I can trust this truck going forward.

I’ll update my situation as it unfolds…..thanks again to everyone for guidance/opinions/personal accounts.