2000 GMC Sierra 1500 change Halogen lights to LED?

20 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

The resistors don't get that hot...

Either use the flasher, which is a hit or miss. My Novita was fine until I introduced it to more than the front 2 bulbs IIRC, or wire in resistors for all four LEDs.

So what is your thought in just replacing the flasher relay with one that just disables the "hyper flashing"?  That is the route I am going.  

26 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

The resistors don't get that hot...

Either use the flasher, which is a hit or miss. My Novita was fine until I introduced it to more than the front 2 bulbs IIRC, or wire in resistors for all four LEDs.

Is my understanding that the resistors end up bringing back up the amperage therefore defeating the purpose of low watt LED's.  

and they no doubt can get hot especially depending on the load.  Although when talking LED we are not talking that much but more heat than without and who knows if one malfunctions??  Not going to take that chance.

"Yes, LED resistors can get hot. The heat generated is in proportion to the amount of current flowing through them and the voltage dropped across the resistor. Voltage X Current = Watts. The more Watts, the more heat."  

My guess would be that the resistor would get as hot as the difference in watts between the LED and incandescent bulb but that's just a guess. In which case, if you've ever touched one of those incandescent bulbs while lit, they get decently hot.

I'm tempted to talk to one of my electrical engineers to get their take on the whole deal.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, Brenden Burnham said:

So what is your thought in just replacing the flasher relay with one that just disables the "hyper flashing"?  That is the route I am going.  

I have both a flasher relay and resistors. Sometimes a flasher works sometimes it does not. 

You are correct in that resistors counteract the low watt benefit of the LEDs but for me that does not matter so much. LEDs are for color and output in my opinion.

When I say that they don't get that hot I mean that they do not get hot enough to burn anything down. They won't burn through zipties. I have had zipties holding those things on for a while now. 

Like I said, try the flasher and then just do resistors because it is that much easier. I was lazy with mine though, just did a splice connector rather than soldering it in. One day I'll go back and re-do it.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:40 PM, Brenden Burnham said:

What a huge difference between the two mods I feel 100% safer driving at night now.

The QC on those LEDS is non-existent. Best keep some regular bulbs handy to change back when they fail at 0'dark thirty in Gods country. 😉

• Like 2