In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

need help with gears and speedo recalibration

what are you guys doing once you install gears and 35  tires to recalibrate the speedometer ?
my truck originally came with 3:23 gears , so i upgraded to 4:10  and 35 tires
speedo is way off  98mph on the dash  80mph on the phones GPS
dealer or programmer ? whats the best option ?  cheapest option

If you don't want a tune you can use something this which is what I originally used(check and make sure this fits your truck)

Hypertech 752501 Speedometer Calibrator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RQ44O4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_P47AM0A8PKWZVMX432MY

I've since switched to black bear tune and would highly recommend going that route.  Made my truck drive like a sports car.

Edited by m3n00b
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MIKE-HKS said:

what are you guys doing once you install gears and 35  tires to recalibrate the speedometer ?
my truck originally came with 3:23 gears , so i upgraded to 4:10  and 35 tires
dealer or programmer ? whats the best option ?  cheapest option

Dealer can only program for factory sizes.

Programmer, tuner, calibrator, etc. are your options.  

44 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Off topic, but does that mean your speedometer shows 18MPH when you are stopped🤔😬

no , its off because the gear change , and bigger tires

2 hours ago, m3n00b said:

If you don't want a tune you can use something this which is what I originally used(check and make sure this fits your truck)

Hypertech 752501 Speedometer Calibrator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RQ44O4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_P47AM0A8PKWZVMX432MY

I've since switched to black bear tune and would highly recommend going that route.  Made my truck drive like a sports car.

i use the truck to pull the boat and daily driver, so it only sees 87 octane fuel , to take full advantage of a tune you have to run 93 ,i just want to recalibrate the speedo the cheapest way possible  , we have a gov at 98mph in my case i cant pass 80mph on the highway , need to fix this ASAP

44 minutes ago, MIKE-HKS said:

i use the truck to pull the boat and daily driver, so it only sees 87 octane fuel , to take full advantage of a tune you have to run 93 ,i just want to recalibrate the speedo the cheapest way possible  , we have a gov at 98mph in my case i cant pass 80mph on the highway , need to fix this ASAP

Not so, you can tune for 87 or whatever and still see performance gains, especially in the transmission.  A BlackBear tune is not the least expensive way possible but is your best bang for the buck!

On 1/13/2022 at 10:07 AM, m3n00b said:

problem is if you live in the great state of Kalifornia you can't get one delivered here and the new cars will tell the computer at time of smog check that a tuner had been installed and removed.... talking about Big Brother

16 hours ago, Supreme Pizza said:

There is always someone there to let you know EXACTLY how fast you were going....

image2.jpg

I use Waze to tell me the posted speed and the curreent speed... but I'm going to order the Hypertech because has a Kalifornia approved sticker.. but i have to buy the one without a tuner...