GM Can't find or produce VLOM fast enough?

I've been a GM truck owner for over 20 years. In May, we purchased a used 2017 Yukon XL as our new family vehicle, with 48k miles. We're now just past 54k miles. A few days before Christmas, the lifters failed and it's been sitting at the dealership ever since. Fortunately, the truck was certified and still under warranty. Apparently they're waiting on finding the VLOM, GM 19433052 manifold. I've talked with GM customer service, but apparently all they can do is keep in contact with the dealership every few days for an update. Has anyone else experienced this?

27 minutes ago, Karl Reading said:

I've been a GM truck owner for over 20 years. In May, we purchased a used 2017 Yukon XL as our new family vehicle, with 48k miles. We're now just past 54k miles. A few days before Christmas, the lifters failed and it's been sitting at the dealership ever since. Fortunately, the truck was certified and still under warranty. Apparently they're waiting on finding the VLOM, GM 19433052 manifold. I've talked with GM customer service, but apparently all they can do is keep in contact with the dealership every few days for an update. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just before the holidays I was at my local Hyundai-GMC dealer for service. I usually walk the lots while waiting, it’s a big place. I noticed a new area with a few vehicles behind a building. I asked about it. Waiting for parts was the reply. 

GM is showing an unknown stock on them at one warehouse.  They are on National Control so if the dealer put a SPAC case on it, all they can do is wait until GM releases it to them.  

Not sure if you are aware of all the world issues going on right now, you know...people quitting, boats stuck at port, lots on sick leave for COVID...EVERYONE is waiting for parts, vehicles, etc.  Its not just you.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This may not be an option but consider it, You can purchase a performance kit from several performance shops to eliminate the AFM and DOD system altogether, You can start with Summit racing. (note: it is quite involved, but after, no more lifter worries)

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered it online (19433052) and had it in my hand in a week. It is a kit that includes the new VLOM (12697806), 4 AFM lifters (12698946) and new fuel pipes (1 each of: 12696639, 12691176, 12677006, 12677004, 12677002). The local dealer told me two months to get it and it was $666 (nice fitting number for an AFM part). Found it online directly from GM for $429 plus shipping

Total cost of parts to replace all 16 lifters and VLOM about $1,600. Plan to install everything on Sunday 1/30/22.

This is my son's 2015 Sierra Crew and he already had installed the plug in deactivator but still had a lifter collapse within 2 miles after an oil change even with disabler plugged in. I am not convinced that the problem is entirely the VLOM but may have more to do with oil pressure or air entrainment even with the AFM disabler installed. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Rebuilt the top end: new VLOM, 8 new AFM lifters, 8 New standard lifters, 4 new lifter trays, 8 new push rods on all AFM lifters, 8 new exhaust valves and seals, 8 new intake valves and seals, all new high pressure gas lines, new injector seals and clips, new spark plugs and wires, new intake gaskets, new exhaust gaskets, new head gaskets, new head bolts, new oil pressure sender, new belt and tensioner. Everything reused was cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner including the heads themselves which restored them to like new condition. Inspected the cylinder bores, still have cross hatching and no ridge.

My son has been driving it without the AFM disabler installed, no problems. (update to update: had misfires on cylinder 6, swapped ignition coil with cylinder 4 and misfire moved to cylinder 4 indicating bad ignition coil. Replaced all 8 ignition coils with OEM coils ordered from Newegg)

Ordered all the genuine GM parts online, perfect fit.

Edited by Jon M.

• 11 months later...

Where did you purchase the VLOM from that you got it in such a short amount of time? My fathers truck has an almost identical problem (15 Chevy Suburban LT) and we need the following: Part#: 19433052

I’ll have a look to see how much new coils are through the seller you mentioned above. Appreciate any and all info you can provide brother.

I’m trying to find a reputable part supplier online since the dealer usually deals with supply chain issues the same way everyone else does, by saying no because they have a batch order coming in 6 months lol

Our mechanic told us 6 month wait on the newly diagnosed; failed part. We obviously can’t wait that long. We intend on selling the truck after doing the job as it is, I’m pretty mechanically inclined but don’t know enough about GM’s to feel comfortable working on them myself.

- Brandon

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, Karl Reading said:

Im currently dealing with this same issue. Did you finally get the part?