2000 Sierra 4.3 trans the Same as a v8

probably. lots of variables tho, if its 2 wd check the overall length and out put shaft size. what trans are we talkn about?4L60? I'm not sure if 4L80 is plug and play interchange with 4L60. if its the same externally the only difference is internally the 8 cyl is more hd

For the most part the simple answer is Yes.  Pay attention to the year truck you have vs what you are looking at.  Just because the tranny bolts up, doesnt mean its going to work without doing major mods, such as harness conversions etc. 

I second what Sharpz said. Depending on year, it's most likely a TH350, 4l60E, or 4l65E.

The label/ID tag is on the passenger side and if fairly large, so there's a good chance you can get under the vehicle with a flashlight and see what it is.

The only differences on the 4l60E that you'll need to consider will be the torque converter and possibly the spline length and count on the tail shaft. If it's a TH350, you don't have to worry about electronics for the most part. If it's a 4L65E, those can be swapped with 4L60E's but do require wiring changes and the torque converter will most likely be different.

There are other little differences I haven't mentioned but it depends on the reason you asked the question. If you're just trying to swap 4l60 for 4l60, that's one thing, but if you're trying to swap a 4l60 into something that doesn't have a 4l60 currently, that's a whole new discussion.

Hope that helps a little.