In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Airbag wire harness - no part available, unknown repair time

Hi all - About 3 weeks ago, I got a notification of Service Safety Restraint System on my 2019 Silverado HD (~53,000 mi).  I checked the forum, and there was a topic regarding the issue, with the problem linked to a few things with the airbag system.  I took my truck to the local dealership in Meridian, ID, and they determined it was a wiring harness under the passenger seat.  As a result of the failed harness, the entire airbag system malfunctioned.   

I urgently wanted to have the repair, but the parts are not available.  Given the airbags are not operating, I contacted GMC customer service through chat, and my issue was elevated.  Surprisingly, I've received two calls from GMC customer service explaining the part is unavailable and they do not know when it will be available.  I understand there are issues with supply chain, but man, the is the entire airbag system is out because of a $70 wire harness.  I doubt I'd find a buyer if I needed to sell, and after a fatal accident close to home on Christmas day, I can't say I'm thrilled driving around.

Am I crazy to expect GMC to offer more given the safety issue with my truck? Or do I need to drive this truck at my own risk until the part becomes available? I've never had an issue repairing a vehicle, and I've never had an issue with the airbag system, so this is new for me.  

You are always at risk driving.

Yes, a safety feature not working is bad. But I don't understand what gm could offer more than a wiring harness.

It's sad that they can't do more.  I would think they could pull that harness of a truck on the lot and get you on your way and just pull that truck from the lot until they can get a harness.  Instead, they are making make a decision to drive the truck without a safety system in operation. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

It's sad that they can't do more.  I would think they could pull that harness of a truck on the lot and get you on your way and just pull that truck from the lot until they can get a harness.  Instead, they are making make a decision to drive the truck without a safety system in operation. 

Not only is the guy posting on the wrong subforum, but his truck is no longer manufactured.  2019 was the last year of the last generation HDs.  The part may have changed with the 2020s.

1 hour ago, Karl Kosciuch said:

Hi all - About 3 weeks ago, I got a notification of Service Safety Restraint System on my 2019 Silverado HD (~53,000 mi).  I checked the forum, and there was a topic regarding the issue, with the problem linked to a few things with the airbag system.  I took my truck to the local dealership in Meridian, ID, and they determined it was a wiring harness under the passenger seat.  As a result of the failed harness, the entire airbag system malfunctioned.   

I urgently wanted to have the repair, but the parts are not available.  Given the airbags are not operating, I contacted GMC customer service through chat, and my issue was elevated.  Surprisingly, I've received two calls from GMC customer service explaining the part is unavailable and they do not know when it will be available.  I understand there are issues with supply chain, but man, the is the entire airbag system is out because of a $70 wire harness.  I doubt I'd find a buyer if I needed to sell, and after a fatal accident close to home on Christmas day, I can't say I'm thrilled driving around.

Am I crazy to expect GMC to offer more given the safety issue with my truck? Or do I need to drive this truck at my own risk until the part becomes available? I've never had an issue repairing a vehicle, and I've never had an issue with the airbag system, so this is new for me.  

Do you know exactly what part they need the connector for?  

Edited by newdude

To the OP, you have every right to be driving a vehicle with all the safety systems intact and working and if Chevrolet won't put you in a loaner until your p/u is fixed file formal complaints with the NTSB and NHTSA, maybe one of these federal agencies can light a fire under their arse.

4 minutes ago, garagerog said:

To the OP, you have every right to be driving a vehicle with all the safety systems intact and working and if Chevrolet won't put you in a loaner until your p/u is fixed file formal complaints with the NTSB and NHTSA, maybe one of these federal agencies can light a fire under their arse.

GM is getting very ****** lately about loaners and rentals.  My truck is going into the shop tomorrow for some warranty work.  The dealership service dept said GM no longer allows them to have a vehicle for giving rides to/from the dealer, and won't allow loaners or rentals until the dealer not only knows what part to order, but has also ordered the part.  They don't care if the dealer can look at it and say it's a warranty repair in the service drive, not that the dealer will sit on the vehicle for a few weeks.  Customers are being left without a vehicle while their vehicle is in the shop.  I've had 2 different dealerships explain this to me.

Transient, I bet GM would change this policy if they got hit with enough small claims court judgements nationwide for rental car costs. In most cases if they don't send an attorney in person to court to defend their view, there will be an automatic judgement against them, and if they then don't pay up, the county sheriff will be ordered to lock the door of the business, in this case the dealer.

Edited by garagerog

If I'm in the incorrect subform, please direct me to the correct one.

I just want to drive a safe-as-can-be truck, and was looking for some experience or advice.  I'm going to ask about this if the parts are the same...

I would think they could pull that harness of a truck on the lot and get you on your way and just pull that truck from the lot until they can get a harness. 

What truck on what lot? '0' inventory. I remember many years ago we used to "borrow" parts off of lot cars all the time. That practiced stopped a long time ago with only a very rare exception.

If I'm in the incorrect subform, please direct me to the correct one.

I just want to drive a safe-as-can-be truck, and was looking for some experience or advice.  I'm going to ask about this if the parts are the same...

I would think they could pull that harness of a truck on the lot and get you on your way and just pull that truck from the lot until they can get a harness. 

No.  They'd have to find a matching 2015-2019 HD and see if they are the same.  Odds of them downing a used truck are slim to none.  2020+up are totally different.  

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
23252400 Harness $69.52 1 $69.52
84081306 F Harness $32.97 1 $32.97

The first #.  That is the center seat harness.  No airbag wires run through that.  Not sure why they ordered it for?  The second # is the passenger seat wiring harness without heated seat.  That one makes sense.  

Edited by newdude