Prospective Truck Owner with Diesel Questions.

Jefffan

Hello gyys/gals. Im recent lurker of the forum. Looking to buy my first truck in the next year or so. 

I have questions about the diesel in the 1500 trucks. For those that own/ owned them, how have they been reliability wise? Also how much more expensive have they been to maintain versus the 5.3 ?

Im mainly interested in the 3.0 due to the more talked lifter problems lifter problems in the 5.3 but want to try to avoid massive maintainence bills out of warranty (outside of them oil belt at 150k). Obviously the 3.0 is a mpg champ as well which is nice when a truck has a 24 plus gallon gas tank.  5.3 uses regular fuel though which is much less expensive vs. diesel.

If I didn't already have a 6.2 Camaro I'd probably consider that engine more, but it seems like a waste for what I'd be using the truck for (daily family use and road trips). Don't really venture on unpaved roads or trails so 2wd seems like enough to me.

Looking forward to the answers. Excited for my first truck purchase. Just need to decide on the engine lol. Camaro and a Malibu don't go far enough when you buy a house lol

I had a 6.2 Denali , loved the power. I now have over 8000 miles on my '21 3.0

Lots of torque, great mileage, no issues, and tows like a champion. One of the best trucks I have owned. If it were stolen or crashed i would buy another 3.0 in a heartbeat. Many posts on this, search the forum. Its a winner. Doesnt cost any more to own. Special oil regular filter, cost the same as any synthetic oil change. Long service life of fuel filter. Thats it and filters are cheap. 

Imo, the discussion about higher maintenance costs is classic misdirection.

They might be a little higher, but are still insignificant compared to the rest of the cost of ownership.

always buy a 4wd.....you get it back in resale and will always be an occasion where its needed, maybe not often and maybe only once but when you do you need it in a bad way....my take anyways

• 2 weeks later...

Love my 3.0 diesel.  I was on the fence between it and the gas options, but if something happened to this truck, it's the only one I'd consider.  Smooooth, quiet, and torque right from a stop.  Really easy to drive smoothly, and not as much temptation to drive like a delinquent.  Plus, I believe the diesel is the only engine that gets the 5 year/ 100k warranty.

I only have 3500 miles on my ‘21 elevation 3.0, but I love it. For road trips it’s amazing. It’s also great around town, very punchy and moves around well. My trailer I pull is only 2000 lbs, so obviously I don’t even know it’s there. Maintenance doesn’t seem any higher than my gas vehicles, but it does use DEF and diesel fuel seems to cost more. I feel like the fuel mileage easily compensated for the extra cost of fuel, and if you buy the DEF at Wally World it’s pretty cheap. I’m at ~$15 of DEF on my 3500 miles.

12 hours ago, Zedicus16 said:

I only have 3500 miles on my ‘21 elevation 3.0, but I love it. For road trips it’s amazing. It’s also great around town, very punchy and moves around well. My trailer I pull is only 2000 lbs, so obviously I don’t even know it’s there. Maintenance doesn’t seem any higher than my gas vehicles, but it does use DEF and diesel fuel seems to cost more. I feel like the fuel mileage easily compensated for the extra cost of fuel, and if you buy the DEF at Wally World it’s pretty cheap. I’m at ~$15 of DEF on my 3500 miles.

I've got just over 6000km not have still almost 2/3 on the DEF gauge. I'm not even considering it an extra cost. I understand towing makes it drink a bit more but everyday driving, I don't think it uses much at all. Oil changes on the other hand, that's pricy here up north at $15 a qt.